The JVC HA-S500 thread.
Nov 15, 2013 at 6:46 PM Post #7,696 of 8,352
Hi friends I signed up for the forum just because the debate on headphones I got the JVC HA S500 a week ago after 40 hours of burn in the bass indeed softened and becomes more balanced, but I'm very disappointed with the sound of their overall are very shrill at high volume are suitable songs with bass style-mail but the rest The styles are very shrill and loud your ears feel .. Is it at all like that? This should change with time? Or could it be that I fell victim to fake headphones or buggy or something? I bought them because of all the positive recommendations that run forums and to be honest I was very disappointed them.
I have had headphones AKG 44 that cost less than what I feel a lot more pleasant and natural hearing..

Nov 15, 2013 at 6:54 PM Post #7,697 of 8,352
  Hi friends I signed up for the forum just because the debate on headphones I got the JVC HA S500 a week ago after 40 hours of burn in the bass indeed softened and becomes more balanced, but I'm very disappointed with the sound of their overall are very shrill at high volume are suitable songs with bass style-mail but the rest The styles are very shrill and loud your ears feel .. Is it at all like that? This should change with time? Or could it be that I fell victim to fake headphones or buggy or something? I bought them because of all the positive recommendations that run forums and to be honest I was very disappointed them.
I have had headphones AKG 44 that cost less than what I feel a lot more pleasant and natural hearing..

Shrill as in sibilant and harsh? no way, the s500's highs are super-soft. You must be listening to music with extreme loud volumes.

Nov 15, 2013 at 7:07 PM Post #7,698 of 8,352
super soft on Electronic music with bass. but music you hear the singer is harsh at highs that can not be heard and must download the volume level. that why i ask mabey i fell on buggy headphones it is strange

Nov 15, 2013 at 8:13 PM Post #7,699 of 8,352
Well, the s500 sounds great at normal volume level but if you listen really loud to your music you should either get a source that's smoother and softer or you should get other headphones coz the s500 isn't exactly forgiving when you turn the volume up.

Nov 15, 2013 at 8:26 PM Post #7,700 of 8,352
so its not only me sound the shrill when the volume its high? There are also some songs sound a moderate level shrill and on my solo 7c and akg 44 on loud volume sound great.. by the way i use xonar STX sound card on the onborad the jvc shocking

Nov 15, 2013 at 8:41 PM Post #7,702 of 8,352
  so its not only me sound the shrill when the volume its high? There are also some songs sound a moderate level shrill and on my solo 7c and akg 44 on loud volume sound great.. by the way i use xonar STX sound card on the onborad the jvc shocking

That's what I'm saying. Headphones that are more crisp and resolving can get a bit shrill and fatiguing at high volume. That's why as I said you should either have a softer and smoother source and/or amp or go with other more forgiving headphones if you like to listen at very high volume. For instance if I want to push the volume high with my s500 I use my C&C BH amp on low gain, which is softer and more musical and thus the s500 becomes more forgiving.
Anyway, the s500 is not at fault here - it's a great headphone but I guess in this case it's not for you, especially if you're already used to a lot more forgiving headphones and you like to blast your ears with loud music.

Nov 15, 2013 at 9:05 PM Post #7,703 of 8,352

It will go away. I used to be very sensitive to sibilance and the vocals in some songs would hurt my ears just a bit. You'll have to listen at a quieter volume for the time being, but I promise it will get very smooth and non-fatiguing. Make sure you are burning them in with bassdrive at a very high volume because just listening to them at normal listening volumes doesn't cut it.

Nov 15, 2013 at 10:45 PM Post #7,704 of 8,352
And were back to Gun Metal!

basshead.gif
biggrin.gif
basshead.gif

Nov 16, 2013 at 4:38 PM Post #7,705 of 8,352
7s, Thanks for the information.
how many hours did you burn in before made a significant change in the sound shrill section?
and kova its not about hearing the highest volume, change is starting to sound shrill volume already comes in normal+ and these headphones sound sometimes inaudible sound low - medium and it restricts me too normal hearing and high volume it starts to get more stage but jarring too much

Nov 17, 2013 at 12:29 AM Post #7,707 of 8,352
  Just wondering which headphone case you guys are using? I looked on eBay and couldn’t find one with the size that fits the HA-S500 :/

This is the case everyone is using.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hard-carry-case-for-panasonic-rpdj120-audio-technica-athsj5-athsj3-athfc700-/170848584626

Nov 17, 2013 at 12:45 AM Post #7,708 of 8,352
  7s, Thanks for the information.
how many hours did you burn in before made a significant change in the sound shrill section?
and kova its not about hearing the highest volume, change is starting to sound shrill volume already comes in normal+ and these headphones sound sometimes inaudible sound low - medium and it restricts me too normal hearing and high volume it starts to get more stage but jarring too much

Personally, I have to listen to the S500s at a moderately high volume to get the best sound quality out of them so I can relate. It doesn't take too long to tame the highs, maybe 100-200 hours. And that doesn't include just listening to them, I'm talking about ridiculously high volumes with bass heavy music. They will be completely burned in around 500 hours, although some say it takes 1000. 
deadhorse.gif

Nov 17, 2013 at 7:06 PM Post #7,710 of 8,352
Long time lurker of Head-Fi. After checking out this thread, I ended up purchasing a pair from Amazon. Now...the waiting game. It's funny, I'm already a fan before even hearing them. That's bad, lol. Plus, I love getting exclusive stuff from Japan. I feel awesome having something most other people don't know about :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back