The JVC HA-S500 thread.
Aug 22, 2013 at 3:15 PM Post #7,291 of 8,352
Quote:
Yeah, C3 + E11 (bass boost on 1) + S500 is an awesome portable rig that doesn't break the bank

We know the love, too bad about all the others that don't share in our sonic bliss! 
beyersmile.png

Aug 22, 2013 at 3:20 PM Post #7,292 of 8,352
Quote:
I don't know why anyone uses an amp with the S500 anyways. My Rockboxed Clip Zip can drive them well enough to destroy somebody's hearing very quickly....or is there some other player out there people are using that is lower output than the Clip?

I use the E11 with it because of the bass boost adjustments, and also because the amp of my S2 is not that good. 

Aug 22, 2013 at 5:18 PM Post #7,295 of 8,352
Quote:
How does the jvc ha s500 compare with the senn hd 25 or amperiors? 

tds101 has both the S500 and the HD25....maybe he'll stop by and chime in. 

Aug 23, 2013 at 7:45 AM Post #7,296 of 8,352
Aug 25, 2013 at 10:41 PM Post #7,299 of 8,352
Quote:
Changing the subject somewhat:

So it's been said that the cups are too small for a real removable cable mod of any kind. Not gonna dispute that, but has anyone thought of terminating the y-split in a 1/8" F jack? So most of the cable is removable? Just a thought, since the cable, while certainly hardy, is my second least favorite thing about the headphones (the first being the chipping).

So while we're waiting for comparisons, and this thread is in lull, I figured I'd give this one another shot. While nowhere near as important as sound, this could be cooool.

Aug 26, 2013 at 1:23 AM Post #7,301 of 8,352
Quote:

So while we're waiting for comparisons, and this thread is in lull, I figured I'd give this one another shot. While nowhere near as important as sound, this could be cooool.

Do it up!

I am going to see If I can route wire from one side to the other, through the hinges if possible so it's not exposed. If I can't have a detachable cable then I would like to have single sided.

We have a pile of laptop boards at work, the 3.5mm jacks on those are very small and if I can find one I like I might just have to do a removable single side cable mod.

Aug 26, 2013 at 4:05 AM Post #7,302 of 8,352
Quote:
Do it up!

I am going to see If I can route wire from one side to the other, through the hinges if possible so it's not exposed. If I can't have a detachable cable then I would like to have single sided.

We have a pile of laptop boards at work, the 3.5mm jacks on those are very small and if I can find one I like I might just have to do a removable single side cable mod.

My birthday is in less than a month. :wink:

The only three things I've wanted for some time are my student loans paid off, a new laptop, and an RME Babyface (since my TASCAM 1641's drivers are showing their age and putting artifacts in music I get paid to mix), not necessarily in that order. All of them are several birthdays worth, especially the first one which I think I may manage on my own. 
rolleyes.gif

I think that I could finally learn to solder, and I wouldn't even have to mess with the structure of the headphones themselves!

And if I mess it up, then I have an excuse to grab the silver ones and never deal with the chipping again!

I only have about $50 to lose! Good luck on getting wire through the band; I sense some deliberation on JVC's part with the design so wire doesn't go through it.

Aug 27, 2013 at 1:45 AM Post #7,304 of 8,352
I finally get to have a taste of the hype! A friend of mine just came back from Japan and brought me a pair of S500s, only $35 when converted from yen!

First impressions: superb build quality, couldn't be better for something in this price range. Is better than many cans a couple times its price. Mother of bass, at first it sounds a little muddy, but it does extend quite deep, I'm sure after the 100hrs of burn-in required, it will tighten up dramatically. I am quite a bit disappointed in the high range though, not much sparkle at all, especially coming from the FXD80 and the Panasonic RP-HTX7, both of which are quite bright. Again, I'm sure this will change once the required burn-in time is achieved, same with my FXD80s. Not much to say about mids, I'm going to wait until everything is burned in to make a final judgement.

WS55 pads already ordered, $10 shipped from AT Parts. Can't wait! 

Aug 27, 2013 at 1:55 AM Post #7,305 of 8,352
Interesting....I never thought the HTX7's were bright. But everybody's ears are different.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back