The JVC HA-S500 thread.
May 9, 2013 at 11:18 PM Post #6,196 of 8,352
Quote:

Did this happen to anyone else's S500's? 
confused.gif

^ Are these the black color ones, cuz the paint on them doesn't seem to be a scratch proof as the gun metal ones. My black set is still like-new with only a tiny paint chip. Is water stain??? LoL

May 10, 2013 at 1:48 AM Post #6,197 of 8,352
Do you think the HAs500 are actually good considering you have headphones like the HE400 in your sig?

It makes me more interested if people who have experience with good headphones like HE400 still the think the S500 are actually good instead of people using them as first headphones etc.

Also what does modding these to "over ear" do to the soundstage and bass? Do these have a good soundstage?

The S500 I have is modded but does well against my more expensive phones. They remain my bedside phones.

May 10, 2013 at 2:12 AM Post #6,199 of 8,352
Awesome to hear cos I just bought a pair last night. Are there any other simple mods for these other than replreplacing the pads?

Look for the port taping messages on here. Not sure what does what but it's easy. Mine came with different cables. Not sure how much difference they make but they sure are cool aesthetically. I'm not that good with a soldering gun so for me, cable mods would not be easy. Oh, mine have the HM5 pads to for what it's worth.

May 10, 2013 at 3:10 AM Post #6,200 of 8,352
Taping over the ports increases the bass to mind blasting proportions lol!

May 10, 2013 at 3:14 AM Post #6,201 of 8,352
May 10, 2013 at 3:52 AM Post #6,203 of 8,352
Quote:
^ Are these the black color ones, cuz the paint on them doesn't seem to be a scratch proof as the gun metal ones. My black set is still like-new with only a tiny paint chip. Is water stain??? LoL

They are the black ones. I have no idea how they got that way. This looks more like a smudge instead of a scratch, although the other earpiece has a small scratch.

At least they still sound great! 
beyersmile.png

May 10, 2013 at 4:04 AM Post #6,204 of 8,352
Quote:
Can make it bass bloated in some cases.

I agree with this. I tried taping the ports and the quality of the bass decreased dramatically. The quantity was nice though.
Quote:
They are the black ones. I have no idea how they got that way. This looks more like a smudge instead of a scratch, although the other earpiece has a small scratch.

At least they still sound great! 
beyersmile.png

I have the black ones, although they're not exactly black xD Mine look perfect still, no scratches or smudges. I've dropped them a few times too.

May 10, 2013 at 5:08 AM Post #6,205 of 8,352
Ok so I ordered a pair of hm5's to go along with my s500's because I'm an absolute comfort freak and I just know that if they are anything like the hd II's they are going to piss me off.

I plan on doing the paper towel mod inside the stock earpads then crazy glue the hm5's carefully on top or find some O rings from somewhere local. Does this sound like a good idea?

Or should I skip the paper towel mod if I'm going to be putting the hm5's over the stocks.

May 10, 2013 at 5:32 AM Post #6,206 of 8,352
I agree with this. I tried taping the ports and the quality of the bass decreased dramatically. The quantity was nice though.
I have the black ones, although they're not exactly black xD Mine look perfect still, no scratches or smudges. I've dropped them a few times too.

Yeah the bass was wobbly.

Just getting the WS55 pads made the S500 perfect for me.

My black ones got no scratches on them whatsoever, and that's after 6 months.

May 10, 2013 at 2:31 PM Post #6,209 of 8,352
Quote:
Ok so I ordered a pair of hm5's to go along with my s500's because I'm an absolute comfort freak and I just know that if they are anything like the hd II's they are going to piss me off.

This is more-or-less the reason the HM5 pads I got for my S500's were relegated to my 7506's. I use the 7506's as tracking headphones, but not even the velour earpads did much for its comfort (HM5 pads all the way)! There's something magnificent about the bass in the totally stock S500's that allow me to judge bass in a mix far better than any other headphone, and most low-end monitor speakers I've heard.

I, of course know, this isn't what most people are using them for haha.

Quote:
mine are even 'worse'.
but i like it, headphones with 'ages' are sexy.
biggrin.gif

That's the problem. This stuff started smudging, but so far, it's been that one thing for months! I want the rest to match it! 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back