The JVC HA-S500 thread.
Jan 26, 2013 at 5:07 PM Post #4,651 of 8,352
The FiiO E6 is much cheaper than the ZO2.3 and sounds pretty sweet on Eq. 2. You can often pick them up pretty cheap  here in HF from someone upgrading. I bought one on Amazon for 23 bucks shipped and then another from a Head Fi'er for 15 bucks. Just a thought.

Jan 26, 2013 at 7:03 PM Post #4,653 of 8,352
So I just finally sprang for a set of these. It is really ironic because around the time these came out in Japan I was actually over there. I was riding my bike around with a friend and we stopped to look at cameras. I saw a big bin of these phones for the equivalent of $40 a piece and when I saw the JVC name and the nanotube diaphragm technology I thought they might really be something...but did not pick them up because I had been overspending. Then I got home and saw this thread!

Anyway, I bought a used pair of Beyer T1's a few months ago and while they are pretty awesome, I use them rarely and have considered selling them. If these get somewhere close to the Beyers I will probably let them go.

Jan 26, 2013 at 8:24 PM Post #4,655 of 8,352
TBH I like the CAL over the S500. 
What do you like more about? I'm not trying to start anything, just wondering your opinion. :xf_eek:

Jan 26, 2013 at 10:04 PM Post #4,657 of 8,352
Quote:
TBH I like the CAL over the S500. 

Quote:
What do you like more about? I'm not trying to start anything, just wondering your opinion.
redface.gif

I'm curious about this too. I got some CAL recently but I haven't really compared them closely with the S500.....I do like both of them though.
smile_phones.gif

Jan 27, 2013 at 5:55 AM Post #4,660 of 8,352
Quote:
I can't get technical but for me the CAL is a bit clearer. The comfort is also way better than the s500 . The s500 get uncomfortable after 10 minutes.

You must have a really weirdly shaped head.

I can wear the JVCs for hours and hours without any discomfort.

Jan 27, 2013 at 8:25 AM Post #4,661 of 8,352
Quote:

You must have a really weirdly shaped head.

I can wear the JVCs for hours and hours without any discomfort.

Same for me. In the past I've had problems with supra-aural phones, but not with s500's.

Jan 27, 2013 at 8:53 AM Post #4,662 of 8,352
Quote:
I can't get technical but for me the CAL is a bit clearer. The comfort is also way better than the s500 . The s500 get uncomfortable after 10 minutes.

I tried mine back and forth last night after reading your earlier post. I don't find the S500 uncomfortable, in fact I love how I can wear them with my glasses without interference, but I would agree that glasses aside, the CAL are more comfortable.

I think that what you described as the CAL sounding a bit clearer to you, after going back and forth with them last night, is that the CAL seem to have a wider soundstage....and it may be a simple as the fact that the drivers are a little further away from the ears. I think the S500 drivers are a little more tightly controlled, but as I said before, I still enjoy both headphones.
I traded my ATH-WS55 for the CAL and I have no regrets.
L3000.gif

Jan 27, 2013 at 9:20 AM Post #4,663 of 8,352
It's probably just my left ear that doesnt like the pressure. 

Friend of mine said that he liked the ultrasones hfi 580 more than the jvcs. Didnt really listen to those. More share the same opinion?

Jan 27, 2013 at 9:46 AM Post #4,664 of 8,352
Quote:

Friend of mine said that he liked the ultrasones hfi 580 more than the jvcs. Didnt really listen to those. More share the same opinion?

I do like my HFI-780 more than my S500, but they also cost 3-4 times as much as the S500......and I only use them if i am just chilling somewhere, whereas the S500 can be used portably, and don't need an amp either. A Clip+/Clip Zip or iPod Shuffle will power the S500 just fine, but I prefer to have another amp in the mix with the 780s.

Jan 27, 2013 at 10:06 AM Post #4,665 of 8,352
Quote:

Hmm, my Ultrasone DJ1s don't even hold a candle to the S500 comfort levels. 

Then again they weigh nearly a 100 gram more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back