The JVC HA-S500 thread.
Jan 7, 2013 at 9:33 PM Post #4,171 of 8,352
you could start selling modified JVC headphones like the mad dags
"Cute JVC HA-S500" 
biggrin.gif

Jan 7, 2013 at 10:25 PM Post #4,173 of 8,352
Quote:
You guys read this? http://www.head-fi.org/t/645028/i-prefer-the-60-jvc-s500-more-than-the-1499-sennheiser-hd800#post_9031967 

Nothing new. For some reason the only higher end cans that are for sale and I can audition in my local stores are Senns and I've tried them all and was never really impressed, especially with the price performance ratio. So props to the s500 - I'm mostly speakers and iem guy and not much of a cans fan let alone supra-aural fan and the s500 is still keeping me under its magic to a point that I don't care at all about comfort or fancy stuff like that - just enjoying the music. 

Jan 8, 2013 at 1:44 AM Post #4,178 of 8,352
Quote:
I used the below template to create a mod for the S500.  With this template, sized properly to fit the size of the HM5 pads, I traced the outline on to a piece of neoprene (two actually), that I purchased at Walmart for $1, it was a flat cupholder used to cool a can of beer/pop whatever.  The neoprene was black on one side (perfect), blue on the other (doesn't matter).  Then I cut out the traced neoprene and fit it in the back of the HM5 pad. perfect fit.  The hole in the center was smaller than the outside diameter of the cup by about 3/8", so it covers the bass vents, but it does not close them up like the tape mod.  The results, WOWOWOW, the S500's are finally in their full glory!  This pair is fully burned in, the neoprene mod had brought back all of the "plenty of meat on those bones" sound.  Dsnuts thought that the HM5 pads by themselves sounded thin, yes, but I had used my Paremetric EQ to account for that, added a few db on the sub bass, 30hz, and bass, 60hz.....no more need for that.  What I have now is very good, tight, clean bass, best mids that I have heard on the S500, by a margin, and nothing lost in the nice extended highs.....also a very huge soundstage, separation and imaging!  These S500's are now very full size sounding headphones, and with my silver/copper hybrid cable upgrade, I declare them the best sounding S500's out there!  I have ordered more of the silver/copper wire for my second pair of S500's and my S400's so eventually they will be modded this same way!  Eventually I would like to give couple other headfiers a chance to hear the results!

Hey cute you wanna me to send you my cheapo camera??? LoL

I know what's up..............................................

Jan 8, 2013 at 2:47 AM Post #4,180 of 8,352
Quote:
I'm a longtime lurker, and recently was looking into buying so headphones, so I've spent the last few days reading tons of reviews.  I had a $100 price range, and based on this thread I decided to buy some of these on eBay!  So anyways, just thought I'd say hi, and thanks for the thread.  And I joined pretty much to say that.  I'm in Australia at the moment, but I'll be back in the US next month.

The headphones are being shipping here from Japan, so hopefully I get them soon, can't wait to try them out
smile.gif

ps.  The initial reason I was searching is because I found a refurb deal on slickdeals on Klipsch Image ONE's.  I am kind of a bass head, but based on reviews here I decided to get the JVC's.  Seeing as how they're about the same price (and these are new) and probably sound better, I jumped on them.  I'm looking for semi-portable, so hopefully I can wear these out and about.

These are the headphones that got me to register too :p Prepare yourself for an empty wallet in your near future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back