The JVC HA-S500 thread.
Dec 13, 2012 at 6:26 PM Post #3,721 of 8,352
In that pic,I think Cyloh had already sewed them up and stuffed them with cotton. That's one option that kind of mars the pads, so you might prefer the o-rings. You can avoid all the hassle by doing pad-on-pad, but I've got to say it sounded thin to me like that. I'm evidently the odd one out with this opinion. No harm in just giving it a go.

Dec 13, 2012 at 8:04 PM Post #3,722 of 8,352
I have both my S500 and S400 with HM5 pads and $150 Baldur MKII upgrade cables, unbelievable for HP's under $30....sound is beyond anyone's comprehension!

Dec 13, 2012 at 11:29 PM Post #3,723 of 8,352
When using the o rings and the HM5 pads, are there any other things I need to do? I'd like to avoid too much extra modding because I'm not much of a DIY, but a good sound is still important to me.

Dec 13, 2012 at 11:36 PM Post #3,724 of 8,352
Quote:
When using the o rings and the HM5 pads, are there any other things I need to do? I'd like to avoid too much extra modding because I'm not much of a DIY, but a good sound is still important to me.

LoL i still don't exactly how that o-ring thing works on these HM5 pads, do you put in on the inside the ear cup area or do you use it to on the lip area of the pads to tighten the seal??? I need pics to visual it. haha C'mon someone with these mod/ combo post some pics please.

Dec 14, 2012 at 12:03 AM Post #3,725 of 8,352
Quote:
In that pic,I think Cyloh had already sewed them up and stuffed them with cotton. That's one option that kind of mars the pads, so you might prefer the o-rings. You can avoid all the hassle by doing pad-on-pad, but I've got to say it sounded thin to me like that. I'm evidently the odd one out with this opinion. No harm in just giving it a go.

You're right to say they sounded thin as is, without pad-on-pad. But try eric clapton's unplugged or dark side of the moon. Soundstage and imaging heaven for me.

Quote:
Should I remove the stock S500 first? Or put the HM5 pads over them?

Either way. Go ahead, mix and match to find your preferred sound.

Dec 14, 2012 at 2:13 AM Post #3,726 of 8,352
Quote:
LoL i still don't exactly how that o-ring thing works on these HM5 pads, do you put in on the inside the ear cup area or do you use it to on the lip area of the pads to tighten the seal??? I need pics to visual it. haha C'mon someone with these mod/ combo post some pics please.

He mentioned in an earlier post that you put it in the groove/lip where the pads go. So I understand that part I just wanna make sure it will have a good sound if that's all I do.

Dec 14, 2012 at 9:01 AM Post #3,728 of 8,352
IMHO the HM5 sounds boring, off, artificial, muted, and boring (twice)... with the AKG550 (for different reasons) my least favorite headphone.

S500 are far more enjoyable; have one of the best bass that I have heard and, although it's tonality isn't very natural,l I find them extremely fun and perfect as portable headphone to be used in less than perfect listening conditions.

Edit:

Uuupsss, you meant the HM3... heard them once, nice sound, didn’t impress me as much as the JVCs.

Dec 15, 2012 at 12:14 AM Post #3,730 of 8,352
you can tape up the ports for more bass if you havent already done so
easy to do
I haven't tried that yet, but I'm worried about a congested sound as a result. I'll probably try it once I get the HM5 pads to see what it sounds like. I don't know how well it would work with my HD25 velours.

Dec 15, 2012 at 12:17 AM Post #3,731 of 8,352
I haven't tried that yet, but I'm worried about a congested sound as a result. I'll probably try it once I get the HM5 pads to see what it sounds like. I don't know how well it would work with my HD25 velours.

im not too experienced but didnt sound congested to me
go back the original stock pad bass amount
others in this thread have done it and for the most part, its just bass quantity affected

Dec 15, 2012 at 5:42 AM Post #3,733 of 8,352
S500 arrived today. Got some sennheiser hd 25 blue pads on with an effort. these are very tight, very balanced from what I can tell (only 15 mins on them) can't believe the price . prefer these I've my old CALS and V-80's based on first impressions.
Clamping is spot on for me, Not hd 25 Clamping but not as loose as V-80' s.

:xf_eek:

Dec 15, 2012 at 7:12 AM Post #3,734 of 8,352
Of course not, but I didn't consider myself as a basshead and that's strange!

Also I was expecting the stock pads to be way uncomfortable or unbearable judging by everyone's posts here. So far I really enjoy them and I like that they are a bit stiff and not so cushion-like. Probably I won't try the ATH pleather mod. The HM5 of course seems still promising!

Everyone says ATH pleathers are mory comfy than the stock pads, they also open up the sound stage a bit. :wink:

Dec 15, 2012 at 9:23 AM Post #3,735 of 8,352
Personally i find the stock pads more comfortable than ath pads but the sound is definitely more open with the ath. I'm using the pads of my esw9 and i must have small ears as my whole ear fits in the pad.

I will probably pick up some senn pads to compare as well.

Currently i am at my inlaws but i left the s500s at home plugged into selections from the alan parsons soundcheck cd, drum and bass volume 9 and the tron soundtrack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back