The JVC HA-S500 thread.
Nov 23, 2012 at 3:53 AM Post #3,241 of 8,352
Quote:
Does anyone have a photo of how they sit on the head, from the front that is? And please don't link the dude with the 'sock mod'.

Dude, y u no google?
biggrin.gif
  j/k.  What i've found isn't a lot, since these cans haven't been getting a lot of loving outside of japan and well.. Head-fi as it seems. So, another pic from this tread, courtesy of user bjaardker:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/621063/the-new-jvc-ha-s500-40mm-carbon-nanotubes/1545#post_8723213

No pictures from the front to be found whatsoever. Maybe a headfi user could be so kind? :wink: Still haven't received mine ordered on the 14th of november (i also shop alot in China so i'm used to waiting, lol) so i can't help you on that one.

Ordered mine from ebay user dtwhisper btw. Good communication so far. :)

Nov 23, 2012 at 4:20 AM Post #3,242 of 8,352
Ordered mine from ebay user dtwhisper btw. Good communication so far. :)

He keeps messaging me to buy from him after I enquired about EMS postage.

Already told him that I found them slightly cheaper from another seller, jp-ken. Will see what he says to that lol

This is the last message I got from him... I asked for a total cost of everything. Delivered to UK:

Dear agui4408,

Total price is at US$80.60 all shipping cost included by JP (Japan Postal service) EMS courier service to England. The headphone is equipped the world's first technology, nano carbon coil driver unit minimize digital sound distortions, and huge 40mm driver unit beats powerful bass sounds, it is rare finding in ouside Japan. Thank you very much for your consideration.

Best Regards,
Akira Watanabe

- dtwhisper

---

Btw, can anyone make a clear and concise post about the different pads please. I'm still torn between ordering the ATH pleathers or HD25 blue pleathers. :confused_face(1):

They just look so cool:
http://spares.sennheiser.co.uk/pro-audio-headphones/hd-25-earpads/hd25-adidas-blue-circular-earpad-pair.html

Nov 23, 2012 at 7:05 AM Post #3,243 of 8,352
Quote:
He keeps messaging me to buy from him after I enquired about EMS postage.
Already told him that I found them slightly cheaper from another seller, jp-ken. Will see what he says to that lol
This is the last message I got from him... I asked for a total cost of everything. Delivered to UK:
---
Btw, can anyone make a clear and concise post about the different pads please. I'm still torn between ordering the ATH pleathers or HD25 blue pleathers.
confused_face(1).gif

They just look so cool:
http://spares.sennheiser.co.uk/pro-audio-headphones/hd-25-earpads/hd25-adidas-blue-circular-earpad-pair.html

Ah, OK, we'll just see how he handles my order. I'm guessing it'll take round 2 week for these to arrive to the Netherlands. Perhaps somewhat longer because of the time of the year, We'll just have to see. JP-Ken wasn't in the search results on Ebay when i wanted to order. :p

I know those pads look good, also, if you're in the UK, that price is a steal.. I was thinking about emailing them to ask if they also ship to the Netherlands, but my gut says shipping costs will again be higher dan the costs of the pads. :|  Sucks living here.. I.e.: with Philips being a Dutch brand and reading that, for example the uptowns, go for 1/3 of the price in the US that they sell em over here. make you wonder what the hell is wrong.
confused.gif
Ah well, i already have the ATH pads, so i guess it's going to be dull black pads for me.

Nov 23, 2012 at 11:57 AM Post #3,245 of 8,352
Ah, OK, we'll just see how he handles my order. I'm guessing it'll take round 2 week for these to arrive to the Netherlands. Perhaps somewhat longer because of the time of the year, We'll just have to see. JP-Ken wasn't in the search results on Ebay when i wanted to order. :p

I know those pads look good, also, if you're in the UK, that price is a steal.. I was thinking about emailing them to ask if they also ship to the Netherlands, but my gut says shipping costs will again be higher dan the costs of the pads. :|  Sucks living here.. I.e.: with Philips being a Dutch brand and reading that, for example the uptowns, go for 1/3 of the price in the US that they sell em over here. make you wonder what the hell is wrong. :confused: Ah well, i already have the ATH pads, so i guess it's going to be dull black pads for me.

Aww ok, hope it goes well for you mate.

You know that you can always ask someone in the UK to order those blue HD25 pads for you and then ship them to Netherlands. :wink:

its been 2 1/2 weeks for me and they havent arrived yet from buyfromjapan
probably canada post and customs holding them up...

That's a shame, that was longer than I'm prepared to wait for them. So glad I didin't buy from them, their response put me off straight away if I'm honest.

Jp-ken is the only seller that said to me he doesn't mind marking the item as a gift so it goes quick through customs.

Nov 23, 2012 at 12:19 PM Post #3,246 of 8,352
Just received my S500s! I'd say out of the box the sound is very good for a headphone of this price, but nothing amazing. I'm gonna give them 10 hours of burn in over-night and see what they sound like tomorrow. Anyone care to mention what I should expect? At the moment I find the highs are very sharp, mids are fine and bass is there but doesn't quite "sing". Hopefully after burn-in the highs will calm down and the bass will mature 
smily_headphones1.gif

P.S. any ideas on what I should use to burn then in?

I'm sure this has been talked about in the thread before but I don't have the patience to look through it, thanks!

Nov 23, 2012 at 12:37 PM Post #3,247 of 8,352
Use normal music. Usually a mix with a bit of everything thrown in does it well.

The signature should change dramatically since the carbon nanotubes are very stiff at first, you need to use some good long loud vibrations to flex them out a bit.

Nov 23, 2012 at 1:10 PM Post #3,248 of 8,352
Nov 23, 2012 at 2:14 PM Post #3,249 of 8,352
Nov 23, 2012 at 2:59 PM Post #3,252 of 8,352
Carbon nanotubes will always be stiff. In the S500 application, they will not flex, or be broken or burned in.

Carbon nanotubes are the strongest and stiffest materials yet discovered [...]

If there is a change in the sound, it's not due to the nanotubes.

Lets not get carried away here.

Look the S500 is a great sounding HP. No question about it. But you have to be a bit gullible not to realize the whole nanotube thing is partially marketing. I would be willing to bet my S500 and my whole HP collection that I can run a sharp object with ease through that cone of that driver just like any other driver out there.

The whole point in CNT is that you can supposedly make a speaker out of the actual fabric made from it. That is the actual tech advance in the making. How to make a new type of speaker/driver from this fancy material.

Lets not get into acting like we are science experts on CNT if we have have no actual lab results to support our statements. No need to even argue unless someone wants to rip out their drivers and start stretching, bending and poking at them.

Nov 23, 2012 at 3:01 PM Post #3,253 of 8,352
Nov 23, 2012 at 3:43 PM Post #3,254 of 8,352
Quote:
Lets not get carried away here.
Look the S500 is a great sounding HP. No question about it. But you have to be a bit gullible not to realize the whole nanotube thing is partially marketing. I would be willing to bet my S500 and my whole HP collection that I can run a sharp object with ease through that cone of that driver just like any other driver out there.
The whole point in CNT is that you can supposedly make a speaker out of the actual fabric made from it. That is the actual tech advance in the making. How to make a new type of speaker/driver from this fancy material.
Lets not get into acting like we are science experts on CNT if we have have no actual lab results to support our statements. No need to even argue unless someone wants to rip out their drivers and start stretching, bending and poking at them.

Gimmick or not these just sound good so the proof is in the pudding, so c'mon JVC bring it on. We just can't get enough of your CNT hype. Oh am i the only one that loves the fit/ built/ comfort (aside from the on-ears devil design)/ look of these S500/ S400s? They are stylishly modern yet not too flashy and still manages to be unique looking. It's the best looking JVC cans i have seen to date, which i can't say the same for the "newer" CNT S770 over ears. Hope the new S770s make up for these areas in their sound quality.
Quote:
Can't be bothered.

Right on meng, who cares if you believes burn-in works or not, at the end of the day these S500s sound sweet and that's all that matters.
beerchug.gif

Nov 23, 2012 at 3:47 PM Post #3,255 of 8,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc-holliday /img/forum/go_quote.gif

[...]
But you have to be a bit gullible not to realize the whole nanotube thing is partially marketing.
[...]

It may be pure marketing drivel. Maybe the nanotubes don't provide any benefit at all. But with or without a functional nanotube, the S500 sure sounds good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back