The JVC HA-S500 thread.
Oct 23, 2012 at 1:20 PM Post #2,476 of 8,352
Hi, I got my HA-s500 about three weeks back, burnt in for 5 days(yes 5 days), n been listening to them ever since. I just simply cannot do them justice by my words, so I wouldnt start. Just suffice to say that I wont lurk around head-fi any more or I wont google "headphones" any more. Anyways, I am going on a long trip next month, so thought I would get the ATH pleathers b4 i go. Any idea where these are sold? I need these shipped from the US, I will be gone by the time it arrives from china. I am here for 2 more weeks. Recommendations?

Oct 23, 2012 at 1:43 PM Post #2,477 of 8,352
This is what everyone ordered from asia.

I did a quick look for you and didnt see any us sellers but you can shop around. Maybe authentic at pads somewhere (these r knockoffs but real nice).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ear-Pads-Audio-Technica-ATH-SJ5-DJ-Style-Headphones-Black-/261112637420?_trksid=p2045573.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D27%26meid%3D2948544683806603424%26pid%3D100033%26prg%3D1011%26rk%3D4%26sd%3D170869272729%26

Oct 23, 2012 at 2:13 PM Post #2,478 of 8,352
http://www.ebay.com/itm/REPLACEMENT-EAR-PAD-CUSHIONS-FOR-ATH-M50-ATH-M50S-AUDIO-TECHNICA-HEADPHONES-PAIR-/221065359571?pt=US_Replacement_Parts_Tools&hash=item337885b0d3 wat abt these? 20$.....!!!
btw, how big is the difference? I love the bass on these...would I lose any bass?

Oct 23, 2012 at 2:38 PM Post #2,479 of 8,352
doc, u recommended these to me earlier? how do these compare to the 20$ ath leathers from ebay? esp bass response n soundstage?
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/357361-REG/Sennheiser_075527_H_75527_Ear_Cushions.html

Oct 23, 2012 at 2:48 PM Post #2,480 of 8,352
No those are the wrong ones. Those are the wrong shape and too big more than likely for the ATH M50.

You will for sure have ample bass still with the AT pleather pads. Better balance of it in fact. Here is the original post I did comparing the AT pads to the HD25 pads I had been using.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/621063/the-new-jvc-ha-s500-40mm-carbon-nanotubes/1980#post_8749134

I didn't experience any anemia of bass at all and you won't either.

I searched for the original impression cute and dsnuts did to no avail.... Perhaps we can persuade the him to add those links to the OP.

Oct 23, 2012 at 3:32 PM Post #2,481 of 8,352
Quote:
No those are the wrong ones. Those are the wrong shape and too big more than likely for the ATH M50.
You will for sure have ample bass still with the AT pleather pads. Better balance of it in fact. Here is the original post I did comparing the AT pads to the HD25 pads I had been using.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/621063/the-new-jvc-ha-s500-40mm-carbon-nanotubes/1980#post_8749134

I hate it whenever you post those impressions. Here I am, happily listening to my S500+ATH pleathers (or ESW9 pleathers as you call them), and then I read the below from your impressions, and think "Damn - being a mid-centric kind of guy, I'd sure like to try out those HD25 pads... Too bad they cost so much!":

Quote:
Mids: The HD25 win this race by a long shot. While listening to Hotel California live and Layla by EC I had to strain to hear the details I was used to hearing in the very up front sounding acoustic guitars while using the HD25 pads. EC's voice had gone way to the back of the "room" with the ESW9 while with the HD25 he was right there up front. The ESW9 really makes the mids and lower mids sound distant in comparrison.

I then simply go back to being happy with my S500+ATH pleathers lol!

Quote:
I didn't experience any anemia of bass at all and you won't either.
I searched for the original impression cute and dsnuts did to no avail.... Perhaps we can persuade the him to add those links to the OP.

That would be very accommodating of dsnuts! I have had much trouble finding their impressions as well whenever I have looked. I think that both their impressions and your impressions would be good additions to the OP.

Oct 23, 2012 at 4:11 PM Post #2,482 of 8,352
I have to tell you guys. I have to admit I have been away from my HA-S500 recently as I have found an amazing sound in my new XBA-3s. So what have I been doing in the meanwhile?

Burning these and my HA-S400s in silly. I am gonna guess I have now approximately close to over 800 hours. And this is a guess as I have stopped counting. I threw them on my head just now for the first time in a week or so. My goodness! These headphones sound so damn good..  

Can I tell if there was a sound change? From what I remember the highs last time was just a bit on the lively side. Not so now. Seriously to my ears the highs are perfect in every single way. Just a bit forward with so much detail I love about CNTs. My goodness these sound great..I have the ATH pleathers on here permanently and this balanced sound is more lush than I remember it to be. Or has it been too long away from hearing these.. Just greatness from these headphone that give and give some more..You guys can call me an ATH pleather fan. That is on my JVC HA-S500.

If any of you guys are new to this thread or have been on the fence to try these. These get my highest recommendation for any product I have ever reviewed..These require a big burn in but end up sounding nothing like what you payed for them. Absolutely one of the best sounds ever for your money..

Oct 24, 2012 at 2:46 AM Post #2,483 of 8,352
I have to tell you guys. I have to admit I have been away from my HA-S500 recently as I have found an amazing sound in my new XBA-3s. So what have I been doing in the meanwhile?

Burning these and my HA-S400s in silly. I am gonna guess I have now approximately close to over 800 hours. And this is a guess as I have stopped counting. I threw them on my head just now for the first time in a week or so. My goodness! These headphones sound so damn good..  

Can I tell if there was a sound change? From what I remember the highs last time was just a bit on the lively side. Not so now. Seriously to my ears the highs are perfect in every single way. Just a bit forward with so much detail I love about CNTs. My goodness these sound great..I have the ATH pleathers on here permanently and this balanced sound is more lush than I remember it to be. Or has it been too long away from hearing these.. Just greatness from these headphone that give and give some more..You guys can call me an ATH pleather fan. That is on my JVC HA-S500.

If any of you guys are new to this thread or have been on the fence to try these. These get my highest recommendation for any product I have ever reviewed..These require a big burn in but end up sounding nothing like what you payed for them. Absolutely one of the best sounds ever for your money..
+1

Oct 24, 2012 at 3:47 AM Post #2,484 of 8,352
Dsnuts, it is AWESOME that you still feel that way. Very cool! Thanks.

Oct 24, 2012 at 7:56 AM Post #2,486 of 8,352
ummmm... ok so after what wat doc said, i was still a bit skeptical, so i read back 30 pages or so, n ppl kep saying bass is more controlled/less with the ATH pleathers. Well I really dont want that, I m a bass kinda guy n the bass of these phones sound about perfect to me. But I really need new pads, the stock 1s make my ears sweat, plus I wear glasses, so my ears hurt. i would like something a bit more cushiony, if u know wat i mean.
Can som1 pls recommend wat to use?
hd25 velours from BHphotovideo? I think this is the link for those : http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/357361-REG/Sennheiser_075527_H_75527_Ear_Cushions.html
Other than that, I only found the ATH pleathers.....

Oct 24, 2012 at 3:23 PM Post #2,487 of 8,352
that link says "leatherett" so it looks like a low priced pleather, not Velour. .!

Oct 24, 2012 at 4:06 PM Post #2,490 of 8,352
doc recommended these....

Yes i like the hd25 pleather, NOT VELOUR. I dont know that you are gunna like what they do to the bass impact though. It is honestly better with the AT pads. I like the balance and more forward mids with the hd25 for certain types of music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back