The JVC HA-S500 thread.
Oct 21, 2012 at 1:12 PM Post #2,447 of 8,352
Quote:
Try out the ATH pleathers

Thank You Dsnuts. 

Is there any sound difference between leather and pleather? Because I saw many people in this thread were talking about pleather and others about leather. 

And how do I know which one for ATH will match the exact size of the s500? Or all ATH pads has a standard size that will match the JVC HA-s500? 

Sorry for all my question and thank you very much for your assitance

Oct 21, 2012 at 1:17 PM Post #2,448 of 8,352
Well the product description says it is leather but they aren't. I was inspecting mines and they are pleather. If they were made of real cow hide they would cost much more. It is one n the same. We were first calling them leathers but they are synthetic leather vs real leather therefor. Pleather.

This is what we are using. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ear-Pads-For-Audio-Technica-ATH-SJ5-DJ-Style-Headphones-Black-/261112637420?

Oct 21, 2012 at 6:18 PM Post #2,449 of 8,352
Quote:

My earliest memory of JVC was a 24" television we had when I was very young (like 4 years old, which would be about 1980) that probably weighed about 300 lbs.  I remember it being pretty craptastic, I think the only other JVC component I owned in my life was a VCR in college because it was one of the cheapest at Best Buy or Frys or wherever the heck I bought it.

I'm pretty much figuring at this point that any JVC goodness that head-fiers would be most interested in will remain imports for the foreseeable future.  The irony is we'll be paying more for the privilege.  But I bet the activity generated from this site is barely more than a blip in domestic sales.

Personally, I think alot of this is due to Sony's dominance over here on the upper end and the desire not to compete.  I imagine it is quite expensive to export and esp. market vertically, and *esp* back the 70s and even 80s there was a very anti-Asian made bias here.  Made in Japan no longer carries that bias, but made in China, Tawian, Singapore, etc, is still synonomous with being junk.  The funny thing about China though is they are essentially the kings of manufacturing and despite producing everything Apple, the average American hears 'made in China' and they immediate think junk.

EDIT: The big elephant in the room I must mention... I kinda have the feeling there are more audiophiles in Japan.  I don't mean per capita, I mean overall compared to the US.  My impression is Audiophiles generally a negative connotation in the US.  There's definitely a geek/loser bias.  That's a bit why "Beats are cool".  

Interesting. How commercial strategies that took place decades ago still affect general state of affairs and will obviously continue to do so for forseeable future.

On the other side, I can't blame Japanese (too much). You said yourself there was anti-japanese bias in US in 70s and even 80s. And I guess anglo-american type of reviewing in journals and japanese approach do not mix at all. Japanese could build a piece of audio equipment that stood head and shoulders above anything non-Japan made - and would never even get a review, be it good or bad. West simply chose to ignore truly pinnacle designs originating from Japan - if it was not done, sooner or later the true due would have to be given to the japanese manufacturers. No review - no problem. Simple as that - and it did work. 

My observation is that the whole anglo-american approach to audio is overly obsessed with looking for best buys ( UK) and most bang for the buck (US). In general, and with general public interest, that is OK. What is not OK - designs ( here I mean design like concept/idea/execution, not
"Porsche designed cigarette case box" ) that are going places nothing went before - and consequently unfortunately do cost an arm and a leg and then some - do not get covered at all or only with a brief mention. 

The most sterling example I remember well : Technics SE A1 Power Amplifier. I first  "saw" it in
one of the british audio magazines during my visit to London in 1977. Two sided advert, colours ( rare those days, definitely premium ). Price - 5.999,95 Pound Sterling. It was beyond comprehension/belevability ; for reference, A SME Series 2 Improved pick up arm, one of the very best available at the time and considered expensive, retailed for 40 Pound Sterling, give or take few pounds difference from shop to shop ! It was my introduction to the capitalist pricing ( .99 or, in this case .95  ) too; it did NOT occur to me it is actually 6K at the time, I was muttering to myself: God - five thousand pounds... ! 

The only known test/review of SE A1 is in German HiFiStereophonie from 1977 - that issue is considered collector's item and I had a privilege of losing it on ebay at EUR 89 maximum bid a couple of years ago. One working sample of this uber uber uber amp is known to be in the possesion of ex -soviet now russian army. I never saw one turning up on used market - but did not look too much for it, it was unaffordable then and sure as hell is now. It was technology demonstrator for Technics, in financial terms few amps actually sold could not cover for expense of development and manufacture, that money came from much lower quality mass produced gear.

There is another problem with quality gear from Japan in the US - it simply does not get recognized as premium quality under its own japanese name nomatterwhat. Japanese designs that are too good to be marketed as such get "made" or "distributed" by some premium US vendors - then they
are all of sudden kosher, even if that nationality disguise costs the end user double or more it would cost under real name. 

Eventually, Matsu****a chose to terminate Technics around turn of the millenium - going to the greener pastures of LCD/plasma TVs globally and cell phones in Asia. Given the treatment they were given for all the efforts and innovation they brought to audio, I can't blame them at all.

That is real world.

Oct 21, 2012 at 7:16 PM Post #2,450 of 8,352
Quote:
There is another problem with quality gear from Japan in the US - it simply does not get recognized as premium quality under its own japanese name nomatterwhat. 

Right, I don't know if this an American thing in general, but brands are easily pidgeon-holed here.  Going back to automobiles, for the Japanese to move upmarket they created Acura (Honda), Inifinity (Nissan), and Lexus (Toyota) in the late 80s to compete with the Germans and Cadillac.  It worked.

(way off topic) - one of the most amazing things I've seen about the rise of consumerism in the US is the BBC documentary called "The Century of the Self".   

Back on topic - JVC is a freakishly huge company.  If they want to create superlative products at specific price points they certainly have the capability to do it.  That they're creating the best for their domestic market probably actually benefits us (audiophiles) in general.

Oct 21, 2012 at 7:25 PM Post #2,451 of 8,352
Well the product description says it is leather but they aren't. I was inspecting mines and they are pleather. If they were made of real cow hide they would cost much more. It is one n the same. We were first calling them leathers but they are synthetic leather vs real leather therefor. Pleather.

This is what we are using. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ear-Pads-For-Audio-Technica-ATH-SJ5-DJ-Style-Headphones-Black-/261112637420?

Thank you very much. Just ordered it. Now i just hope the the headphones and the pads wont take too long to arrive :) Thank you very much for all your help

Oct 21, 2012 at 10:44 PM Post #2,452 of 8,352
Would anyone please to confirm me that the Sony MDR-MA100 is the closed or opened headphone.
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_48486_Sony-MDR-MA100-Open-Air-Stereo-Headphones.html?utm_source=shoppingcom_cse&utm_medium=cse&utm_campaign=shoppingcom_cse&zmam=75672847&zmas=1&zmac=6&zmap=48486
Cause it does says that it is a open-air, but they don't have any grills on the cups. Also, from a picture that someone upload in 116th showed that they actually don't have grills.

What do you think about the Sony MDR-MA100 compared to the Superlux HD681?

Oct 21, 2012 at 10:48 PM Post #2,453 of 8,352
Quote:
Tha nk you very much. Just ordered it. Now i just hope the the headphones and the pads wont take too long to arrive :) Thank you very much for all your help

Trust me... the wait will be painful lol! While you wait, you can try not to start getting sucked into the world of JVC iem's such as the FX40, FXD70/80 etc (just try not to lol!).

You are going to enjoy the S500, and I think that you made the right choice with the ATH pleathers as well. This was my impression of the S500 and ATH pleathers:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/621063/the-new-jvc-ha-s500-40mm-carbon-nanotubes/2355#post_8788767

So, if you like the more balanced sound, you will really enjoy the combo :)  Keep in mind also that the S500 continues to sound better after burn in. Mine are only at a approx 100 hours of burn in, and they continuing to sound better and better (200 hours seems to be a common target with these puppies).

Fwiw, I really do enjoy the sound of my Koss ksc75's and Senn PX100-II, and I will (and do) continue to use them (especially the PX100-II for it's portability). The PX100-II sounds great and has a really fun sound that makes it perfect for on the go. But I am very happy that I upgraded to the S500/ATHpleathers. I had been thinking that I would have to spend $200-$400 for a higher end phone next (such as the Beyer DT1350) - and I probably will still end up doing so down the road -  but I was very apprehensive about doing so before getting some more audiophile experience (for example, simply understanding what kind of sound appeals to me might be a good start lol!). So it's great to have found the S500 to keep me happy for a hopefully a long while. The price is very reasonable, and the SQ really seems to punch above it's weight. Fwiw, I only say "seems to punch above it's weight" because I don't have any experience myself yet with higher end headphones. But more experienced folks such as Dsnuts, Ericp, Doc and others have endorsed the S500, and that made the decision to buy the S500 an easy one.

Oct 21, 2012 at 10:50 PM Post #2,454 of 8,352
Quote:

Possibly you posted this in the wrong thread?

Oct 21, 2012 at 11:05 PM Post #2,456 of 8,352
Quote:

Fwiw, I really do enjoy the sound of my Koss ksc75's and Senn PX100-II, and I will (and do) continue to use them (especially the PX100-II for it's portability). The PX100-II sounds great and has a really fun sound that makes it perfect for on the go.

I have Senn PX90's that I use for on the go.....like you describe with your Senns, a good fun sound for portable use, but at home, they definitely take a back seat to the S500.

Oct 21, 2012 at 11:35 PM Post #2,457 of 8,352
Quote:
Would anyone please to confirm me that the Sony MDR-MA100 is the closed or opened headphone.
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_48486_Sony-MDR-MA100-Open-Air-Stereo-Headphones.html?utm_source=shoppingcom_cse&utm_medium=cse&utm_campaign=shoppingcom_cse&zmam=75672847&zmas=1&zmac=6&zmap=48486
Cause it does says that it is a open-air, but they don't have any grills on the cups. Also, from a picture that someone upload in 116th showed that they actually don't have grills.

Even though you didn't mean to ask it here, those sonys are a closed back set of cans. Some people here have considered transplanting the JVC HA-S500 into those, and we all concluded that those sonys are indeed close back. 

Quote:

Trust me... the wait will be painful lol! While you wait, you can try not to start getting sucked into the world of JVC iem's such as the FX40, FXD70/80 etc (just try not to lol!).

You are going to enjoy the S500, and I think that you made the right choice with the ATH pleathers as well. This was my impression of the S500 and ATH pleathers:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/621063/the-new-jvc-ha-s500-40mm-carbon-nanotubes/2355#post_8788767

So, if you like the more balanced sound, you will really enjoy the combo :)  Keep in mind also that the S500 continues to sound better after But based on folks like Dsnuts, Doc and others who are quite experienced, I would assume this to be the case.

of bBut based on folks like Dsnuts, Doc and others who are quite experienced, I would assume this to be the case.

urn in. Mine are only at a approx 100 hours of burn in, and they continuing to sound better and better (200 hours seems to be a common target with these puppies).

Fwiw, I really do enjoy the sound of my Koss ksc75's and Senn PX100-II, and I will (and do) continue to use them (especially the PX100-II for it's portability). The PX100-II sounds great and has a really fun sound that makes it perfect for on the go. But I am very happy that I upgraded to the S500/ATHpleathers. I had been thinking that I would have to spend $200-$400 for a higher end phone next (such as the Beyer DT1350) - and I probably will still end up doing so down the road -  but I was very apprehensive about doing so before getting some more audiophile experience (for example, simply understanding what kind of sound appeals to me might be a good start lol!). So it's great to have found the S500 to keep me happy for a hopefully a long while. The price is very reasonable, and the SQ really seems to punch above it's weight. Fwiw, I only say "seems to punch above it's weight" because I don't have any experience myself yet with higher end headphones. But more experienced folks such as Dsnuts, Ericp, Doc and others have endorsed the S500, and that made the decision to buy the S500 an easy one.

Yeah don't do it for the love of god!!! LoL

Hey you know what I actually went to RadioShack to audition the V Moda M80s today, man are they small in size. Tested it out with all my audio players for at least 40mins or so and they are more comfortable than I thought they would be, even while I was wearing my glasses.

The M80s are pretty impressive BUT I think the S500s can more than hang with them.  Both takes about the same sound level to drive to sound properly without any amps and both are pretty balanced in all aspects of the sound spectrum.  Though the M80s have really good lows, so the bass is tight and punchy, they kinda reminded me of bass from my monoprice DJ headphones, while my S500s has a more HD sound to them.  The overall sound of the S500s seems to be a more clear/ crisper clean note to it. On some of my test tracks the mids on the M80s definitely sound a bit more tiny/ recessed as compared to the S500s, but I would say the M80s overall has a more "fun" sound that most mainstream music listener will love.

Was pretty impressed with the M80s tbh but I am even more impressed that my $47 set of S500s can more than hang with these $200 V Modas. Both are so similar yet different, so if I ever see the M80s on sale in the lower $100 might be really tempted to get a pair. ha For now I am more than happy with my cheapo pair of S500s. 
beerchug.gif

Oct 22, 2012 at 12:36 AM Post #2,458 of 8,352
Quote:
Was pretty impressed with the M80s tbh but I am even more impressed that my $47 set of S500s can more than hang with these $200 V Modas. Both are so similar yet different, so if I ever see the M80s on sale in the lower $100 might be really tempted to get a pair. ha For now I am more than happy with my cheapo pair of S500s. 
beerchug.gif

Thanks for the report! That my friend, is exactly what I like to hear!
biggrin.gif

So, because we are more than content with our S500's (and the price we paid for them), we are not under pressure any more. We can go around at our leisure having fun testing out higher end phones, finding the ones that work best for us, and waiting for awesome deals. This works for me!

Oct 22, 2012 at 12:43 AM Post #2,459 of 8,352
Quote:

Thanks for the report! That my friend, is exactly what I like to hear!
biggrin.gif

So, because we are more than content with our S500's (and the price we paid for them), we are not under pressure any more. We can go around at our leisure having fun testing out higher end phones, finding the ones that work best for us, and waiting for awesome deals. This works for me!

haha yeppp, not tempted whatsoever by other "higher end" gears...................unless JVC releases more awesomesauce CNT gear.........................
ph34r.gif

OR we can just let Dsnuts found those awesome cheapo gems for us heeee, both works for me. 
wink_face.gif

Oct 22, 2012 at 1:19 AM Post #2,460 of 8,352
Quote:

OR we can just let Dsnuts found those awesome cheapo gems for us heeee, both works for me. 
wink_face.gif

Cheapo gems like the R1?:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/586909/the-discovery-thread-new-fad-adagio-iii-ericp10-take-pg-242-the-sony-mdr-xb90ex-danny-bs-take-pg-182/3960#post_8799463

It's a sickness
eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back