The JVC HA-S500 thread.
Oct 19, 2012 at 1:37 AM Post #2,401 of 8,352
Quote:
Did a quick ebay search but could someone direct me to which ath leathers/pleathers that people are having success with?  Have not purchased these s500's yet, but very tempted, and just want to make sure I can access the pads first.

This is the ebay.ca listing:
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=261103197458

Just search for the same product name on ebay.com (they should pop up, from the same seller).

Edit: I meant, ebay.australia :)

Oct 19, 2012 at 2:16 AM Post #2,403 of 8,352
cheers for that waynenumm.  Looks like the only place I can get these is from ebay sellers from Japan.  Was looking at the s400 as well but they are only $10 less if I get them through ebay - you guys get them cheap in the USA!

Oct 19, 2012 at 2:25 AM Post #2,404 of 8,352
Quote:
Might as well start your thread on that one now DS. That sounds serious. What is the expected damage? $$$$

Probably is best to keep everything in the original thread that was started today, just like the JVC FXD thread. Less fragmentation and a better/ easier read over all. But these frankenCNTs do look like some serious stuff, peps better take cover cuz it seem as it wants to blow everything outta the water with those Triple Fire CNT cannons, esp that bass one.
devil_face.gif

Quote:
cheers for that waynenumm.  Looks like the only place I can get these is from ebay sellers from Japan.  Was looking at the s400 as well but they are only $10 less if I get them through ebay - you guys get them cheap in the USA!

I know right, these S400s for $25 are stupid cheap for the sound, man wish it was released internationally already so more people can get a taste of it for peanuts.

Oct 19, 2012 at 12:54 PM Post #2,406 of 8,352
found this about CNTs
Nanotubes produce sound by a different mechanism, known as the “thermoacoustic effect”, which is also responsible for the thunderclap that follows a burst of lightning. Lightning is created when an electrical arc jumps between clouds, or between clouds and the ground. The arc heats the air surrounding it and causes that air to expand rapidly, producing a shock wave that is heard as thunder. With the nanotubes, variations in the electrical current cause the air surrounding the tubes to heat up (and thus expand) or cool (and thus contract), which produces pressure waves that register as sound. The beauty of generating sound this way is that no bulky magnets or moving diaphragms are needed.

original link: http://www.economist.com/node/12630225

Oct 20, 2012 at 2:01 AM Post #2,408 of 8,352
I believe JVC is using carbon nanotube material to create the diagrams for their traditional dynamic drivers because it's both strong, light weight, and sounds better then plastic. 

Arthur

Oct 20, 2012 at 5:21 AM Post #2,409 of 8,352
Quote:
Hey. How you been. Glad you are back on. Looks like JVC has pulled a new rabbit out of their hats. Take a look at this!

Fellas what you all are looking at is some serious business. Oh yes 2 carbon nanoube dynamics stuffed in this crazy looking iem with a sub dynamic on the butt end of this. Thats right 3 dynamics. That rear end houses a brass housing containing an actual sub woofer. This is new to me and everyone at headfi today. Completely taken by surprise. Oh yes I will own one. These have thrown a wrench on my plans to get a MDR-1R and the M-100. Still might get one or the other. .But these are number one on my list as of today. Preaching the nanotube gospel.!

No wonder I felt the spare change coins in my pocket jingling the whole morning ! 

....Something from DSnuts comes !
biggrin.gif

Quote:
Crazy...... what's it called so I can google it.

You're interested ?   ....look here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/JVC-Sealed-dynamic-canal-earphones-HA-FXZ200-Pre-Order-Realistic-deep-bass-Power-/221142354460?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item337d1c8a1c

Oct 20, 2012 at 11:49 AM Post #2,411 of 8,352
Just want to say I got in some AKG 518DJ pads... these look alot like what I imagine the HD25 pleathers to be (sorry, didn't buy those).  Fatter, more cushiony, smaller diameter internal area...  initially more comfy but after an hour or so my ears were heating up.  Also they're just a bit too big to fit properly on the phones, they actually slide around a bit.  

Soundwise, not a fan.  it seems to bring them to a more closed in/boomy level.  Also seems to bring out a tiny bit of sibilance when I was playing these out of my Dragonfly.  I prefer the stock pads to these for sound, but they sure are comfy.

To my ears, these things sound best with the ATH pleathers, although they are just a tad weak in the bass on a neutral source.  Using them on my GNex (which according to a frequency sweep shows them pumped up a bit in the midbass and slightly rolled off on top) they are absolutely sublime, just about what I'd call a perfect balance for my preference.  I guess the GNex also has some issues with distortion or whatnot, but I'm not sure if this gives it a slight euphonic vibe or blurs up the positioning a bit to give it more of 3d swirly sound.  It's one of those special treats where the headphones just seem to melt away and I can go for hours.

Oct 20, 2012 at 12:00 PM Post #2,412 of 8,352
Oct 20, 2012 at 12:09 PM Post #2,413 of 8,352
To my ears, these things sound best with the ATH pleathers, although they are just a tad weak in the bass on a neutral source.  Using them on my GNex (which according to a frequency sweep shows them pumped up a bit in the midbass and slightly rolled off on top) they are absolutely sublime, just about what I'd call a perfect balance for my preference.  I guess the GNex also has some issues with distortion or whatnot, but I'm not sure if this gives it a slight euphonic vibe or blurs up the positioning a bit to give it more of 3d swirly sound.  It's one of those special treats where the headphones just seem to melt away and I can go for hours.

Oops - I see that my original post didn't take properly. What I meant to say is...

Very interesting - thanks. By GNex, do you mean the Samsung Galaxy Nexus? If so, are you using the stock music player, or some other player app? Also, do you know if the GNex uses the Wolfsen audio chip? Thanks.

Oct 20, 2012 at 12:11 PM Post #2,414 of 8,352
Quote:
$467!  No thanks. I now have a little more faith in just very crappy because of the S400 and S500, but no way am I gonna spend that kind of money on a JVC product. 

Well, the FX-700s were what, about $300?  And then there were the $1000 or so DX1000. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe those started off the interest in JVC coming to head-fi and were well received, and then subsequently they came out with more value priced models.  To much of the world they might be Just Very Crappy (ha)... but inside Japan they could be considered to be a brand that produces quality stuff... is there anyone from Japan who can comment?  The rest of us have to import the good stuff.  That's a similar situation with Audio-Technica, before coming to head-fi I was only aware of them producing budget mics and recording equipment.  I guess now they sell their higher end headphones worldwide, but that certainly wasn't the case 7-8 years ago, where you had only AudioCubes/PriceJapan/Bluetin to get them from.  I remember what a revelation is was at a time that they had this rich history of fairly exotic wooden headphones that extended back into the 90s.  I picked up some used L3000s in late '05 for $1500 and I remember thinking to myself... holy crap, I just spent well over a grand for something from Audio-Technica.  Head-fi had totally warped my mind.

It's also not too far-fetched considering that VSonic's GR08 will be priced about the same and quite a few people are eagerly awaiting their release, including myself.  This adds another entry to the list of new IEMs in the $400-500 range, also including the 4.ai and UE900.  Hopefully a few head-fiers will pick up one and we can have some shootouts between the bunch :)   JVC and UE probably have the advantage as far as engineering resources and R&D budgets are concerned.

Have to say that the idea of a multi-driver dynamic is pretty insane.  Not sure how well that will fly, but I'm curious to find out...

Oct 20, 2012 at 12:41 PM Post #2,415 of 8,352
Quote:

Well, the FX-700s were what, about $300?  And then there were the $1000 or so DX1000. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe those started off the interest in JVC coming to head-fi and were pretty well lauded, and then subsequently they came out with more value priced models.  To much of the world they might be Just Very Crappy (ha)... but inside Japan they might be considered to be a brand that produces quality stuff... is there anyone from Japan who can comment?  The rest of us it seems have to import the good stuff.  

It's also not too far-fetched considering that VSonic's GR08 will be priced about the same and quite a few people are eagerly awaiting their release, including myself.  This adds another entry to the list of new IEMs in the $400-500 range, also including the 4.ai and UE900.  Hopefully a few head-fiers will pick up one and we can have some shootouts between the bunch :)   JVC and UE probably have the advantage as far as engineering resources and R&D budgets are concerned.

Have to say that the idea of a multi-driver dynamic is pretty insane.  Not sure how well that will fly, but I'm curious to find out...

To me JVC has always been a cheap brand that make cheap electronic for walmart. It might be a very good IEM, but @ $467 it's a pass. Right now I don't have enough faith in JVC to commit to a $467 product from them.
The only reason why I bought the S400 and S500 is because it's dirt cheap. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back