The JVC HA-S500 thread.
Oct 7, 2012 at 2:05 AM Post #2,071 of 8,352
LOL. Upgrading from the HTF600s? haha

biggrin.gif

Oct 7, 2012 at 11:14 AM Post #2,072 of 8,352
Quote:
SO Cel, I managed to get to doing some A/Bing. I first did the iPod vs the Clip. I found putting my finger on what sounds better to me about amps (or internal dap amp circuits in this case) was a lot more difficult than with cans. That being said, in simplistic summary the iPod sounded thinner and more sibilant. (both set on flat eq) I found this to be consistent with the above mentioned article.
Then I went to the ipod&E11 vs the Clip. Now this was hard. For sure the SQ was noticibly better than just the ipod out. The difference to me was the clip sounds a tad warmer than the E11. It almost seemed like attack was somehow faster with the e11.
In anycase the difference was not drastic. So to my ears i would say:
clip = ipod&e11 > ipod
Im thinking I prefered the e11 combo a tad but I prolly could have spent more time with more tracks but to me they are pretty close in any case.
The e11 does did not improve the SQ on the clip to me so I did not test with that.
Doc.

That's good. So if JVC will ever release the S500 here in the US, someone can get the total media player package, Clip and headphones, for under $100. No amp needed 
smile.gif

Oct 7, 2012 at 1:36 PM Post #2,074 of 8,352
Quote:
LOL. Upgrading from the HTF600s? haha

biggrin.gif

Nah, I love the HTF600s drivers in the HD668b/SR850 housing, it's a beautiful headphone that way... But I'd like to try something new. It may be an upgrade, it may be not.. I'll have to try the JVCs when I can get my hands on them.

I'll keep on reading the reviews.

Oct 7, 2012 at 2:22 PM Post #2,077 of 8,352
Quote:
I'm gonna have to go back to stock firmware on the Zip (which I liked the look of anyway) as Rockbox is just too complicated for me and isn't as user friendly.

Don't do it yet Gee, you can duel boot back to the stock Zip firmware once it's rockboxed. Just press and hold the power button and the I<< button at the same time to power your player on, it'll boot back to stock settings.  For rockbox boot just turn it on how you normally would. Well this is how it works for my rockboxed clip+ at least, not sure about the zip.

Oct 7, 2012 at 2:47 PM Post #2,078 of 8,352
Quote:
Don't do it yet Gee, you can duel boot back to the stock Zip firmware once it's rockboxed. Just press and hold the power button and the I<< button at the same time to power your player on, it'll boot back to stock settings.  For rockbox boot just turn it on how you normally would. Well this is how it works for my rockboxed clip+ at least, not sure about the zip.

Removed it now. Didn't see the point in keeping Rockbox on my player if I won't be using it.

Oct 7, 2012 at 3:04 PM Post #2,080 of 8,352
Quote:
Removed it now. Didn't see the point in keeping Rockbox on my player if I won't be using it.

The improvement in battery life alone is worth it to me. There are many features in it that I never use, but a lot of the complexity can be bypassed with a little familiarity. But hey, give it a shot for a little while with the stock firmware and see how you like it....you can always go back in the future if you change your mind.
smile_phones.gif

Oct 7, 2012 at 4:43 PM Post #2,081 of 8,352
Quote:
The improvement in battery life alone is worth it to me. There are many features in it that I never use, but a lot of the complexity can be bypassed with a little familiarity. But hey, give it a shot for a little while with the stock firmware and see how you like it....you can always go back in the future if you change your mind.
smile_phones.gif

Yeah that's what I was thinking 
normal_smile .gif
 I like the look of the stock firmware too tbh and it's easy to use so I'll be using that for now.

Oct 7, 2012 at 11:10 PM Post #2,083 of 8,352
which do you prefer?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ear-Pads-For-Audio-Technica-ATH-SJ5-DJ-Style-Headphones-Black-/251160088897?pt=US_Replacement_Parts_Tools&hash=item3a7a4ed141

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ear-Pads-For-Audio-Technica-ATH-SJ3-Headphone-Over-Ear-DJ-Foldable-/261104795028?pt=US_Replacement_Parts_Tools&hash=item3ccb0efd94

has some better?

Oct 8, 2012 at 12:16 AM Post #2,085 of 8,352
Quote:
Well how you like your HA-S500 with that new clip? 

Unfortunately I'm encountering problems with it. I keep getting the 'refreshing media' message when my sd card is loaded into the player but then the zip just shuts down halfway through the process.

EDIT - Fixed! 
biggrin.gif
 I read a suggested fix online and it worked. Phew!

It's 5.30am here now though so off to my bed but I'll update tomorrow. The ATH leathers have been fitted too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back