The JVC HA-S500 thread.
Sep 30, 2012 at 12:14 PM Post #1,771 of 8,352
Quote:
Get a sansa clip+ and don't look back. Extremely good value for price.

Oh, man. I was too slow typing my reply 
biggrin.gif

Sep 30, 2012 at 12:20 PM Post #1,772 of 8,352
I would try Sonys newest. http://www.amazon.com/Sony-NWZ-F806BLK-Walkman-Digital-Player/dp/B008V99972/ref=sr_1_245?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1349021866&sr=1-245&keywords=sony+mp3+player  I think perhaps the A series will be the most cost effective for this type of sound but these look really promising.

Sep 30, 2012 at 12:32 PM Post #1,774 of 8,352
Yeah it's purely for playing music, not bothered about other features really. I'm very interested in the Sansa Clip+ and Clip Zip. The Sony looks pretty good. I would be looking to pay £200 maximum (around $322). Preferrably lower though and the Sansa is very cheap. How do these 3 compare to the Ipod Touch and Classic in sound quality?

Sep 30, 2012 at 12:42 PM Post #1,776 of 8,352
I think everyone should own a clip. Those are cheap enough to try out. I think you will be surprised with the sound quality even with stock firmware. Using rock box is just icing on the cake. Can play FLAC and I have to agree the sound quality is not what you would think a cheap MP3 player sounds like. I say the Sq is comparable to apple stuff. Easily. Heck for your budget you can get a Clip and a 32 gig chip and also throw in a Fiio E11 and still have enough for 15 new CDs.   You want your sound and bass on a bigger scale. You got it. 

Sure my Z1060 SQ is superior but you throw an E11 in the mix well lets just say it will put a big smile on your face. I like the fact that the clip is so damn small. Love it. I let my wife use mine but I steal if from her once in a while to try out my earphones with. Great sound.

Sep 30, 2012 at 12:44 PM Post #1,777 of 8,352
Quote:
Sorry, I am sure this has been asked elsewhere, but the thread is really long and it's just a quick question...

do these isolate well enough for, say, a public bus?

Thanks,
Matt

No.These don't isolate that well actually. The cups are too thin for decent isolation. They are almost semi open level in isolation. But the sound quality more than make up for this..

Sep 30, 2012 at 12:49 PM Post #1,778 of 8,352
Quote:
Yeah it's purely for playing music, not bothered about other features really. I'm very interested in the Sansa Clip+ and Clip Zip. The Sony looks pretty good. I would be looking to pay £200 maximum (around $322). Preferrably lower though and the Sansa is very cheap. How do these 3 compare to the Ipod Touch and Classic in sound quality?

It's probably best to research this in the Dedicated Source Components section of the site. There's a tons of posts discussing the Sansa Clips and what mp3 players to buy. You would learn a lot more there than here. Look into Cowon mp3 players, too. 

Sep 30, 2012 at 12:53 PM Post #1,779 of 8,352
Quote:
I think everyone should own a clip. Those are cheap enough to try out. I think you will be surprised with the sound quality even with stock firmware. Using rock box is just icing on the cake. Can play FLAC and I have to agree the sound quality is not what you would think a cheap MP3 player sounds like. I say the Sq is comparable to apple stuff. Easily. Heck for your budget you can get a Clip and a 32 gig chip and also throw in a Fiio E11 and still have enough for 15 new CDs.   You want your sound and bass on a bigger scale. You got it. 

Sure my Z1060 SQ is superior but you throw an E11 in the mix well lets just say it will put a big smile on your face. I like the fact that the clip is so damn small. Love it. I let my wife use mine but I steal if from her once in a while to try out my earphones with. Great sound.

Sounds good!  Is it easy to create playlists with the Sansa? I've been reading about that and some people were having problems?

Sep 30, 2012 at 1:07 PM Post #1,780 of 8,352
Ya on stock firmware you can only have one play list. I am not sure about the rock boxed version though. For what it cost they are good cheap Mp3 player. Now they aren't without issue. There is a certain percentage of them that go dead within the first month of use. I would get them from Amazon just in case you have to return one. If you get a good one. The battery last long. The sound is great. EQ works good for what it is. External card just means it is limitless in storage. I also like the fact that it is so small you can hide it in your clothing and have your music pumping. Read up on all the stuff you can do with one and go from there.

Sep 30, 2012 at 1:45 PM Post #1,781 of 8,352
Quote:
I know this is off topic but I'm thinking of buying an mp3 player. I was wondering which produces the best sound quality?

That's a loaded question in these forums! 
biggrin.gif

First of all, tell us how much you want to spend.
Edit....I see plenty of good answers already. Clip+ or Clip Zip with Rockbox is a great place to start. 

Sep 30, 2012 at 1:48 PM Post #1,783 of 8,352
Quote:

Quote:

That's a loaded question in these forums! 
biggrin.gif

First of all, tell us how much you want to spend.

See above 
biggrin.gif

Sep 30, 2012 at 1:49 PM Post #1,784 of 8,352
Wow thanks for that. That is tiny! :D

1 playlist is fine for me as I only create 1 anyway. I reckon I'll purchase that and a 32GB micro sd. I'll purchase the Fiio E11 in the very near future (few months or so).

You're going to enjoy that little rig, for sure.

Sep 30, 2012 at 1:52 PM Post #1,785 of 8,352
Quote:

See above 
biggrin.gif

I did.
smile.gif

Clip+/Clip Zip with Rockbox and a 32GB card is a great place to start. In a month or so, if you decide you want something else, you'll still have a good sounding small player for on-the-go use in addition to whatever else you may buy later on. And they'll power the S500's easily.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back