The JVC HA-S500 thread.
Sep 21, 2012 at 8:30 AM Post #1,441 of 8,352
Quote:
So I have a slightly off topic question.

I had my s500's on burn yesterday at a fairly loud volume (volume max on my laptop & 117% on VLC media player). Anyway I went upstairs for I would say 4-5 minutes at most, when I came back down the volume on VLC media player was at 198%!!! 
angry_face.gif

My mum had increased the volume accidentally and I wasn't happy. I immediately turned them down when I came back downstairs. The volume was so high that the music was cracking, distorting as you would expect. They were only left at this volume for 4-5 minutes as I said but do you guys reckon this would have damaged my headphones? 
frown.gif

Sep 21, 2012 at 8:41 AM Post #1,442 of 8,352
Quote:
So I have a slightly off topic question.

I had my s500's on burn yesterday at a fairly loud volume (volume max on my laptop & 117% on VLC media player). Anyway I went upstairs for I would say 4-5 minutes at most, when I came back down the volume on VLC media player was at 198%!!! 
angry_face.gif

My mum had increased the volume accidentally and I wasn't happy. I immediately turned them down when I came back downstairs. The volume was so high that the music was cracking, distorting as you would expect. They were only left at this volume for 4-5 minutes as I said but do you guys reckon this would have damaged my headphones? Please say no 
frown.gif

Hard to tell. Speaker and headphone drivers usuall get demaged when underpowered amplifiers clip - then the distortion can reach several hundreds of % and it is easier to demage a huge speaker with say a 30 W amp than with a 300 W amp - the tweeters end up demaged most easily.  All it takes is a single burst below 1 second in duration - usually some whack on bass drum or similar.

Your case left the amp clipping for 4-5 minutes.

Listen to phones in question at normal listening level with known music. I wish you the best - but if they distort now ...

Please let us know the outcome.

Sep 21, 2012 at 8:49 AM Post #1,443 of 8,352
Why do you say earpad fail? I remember your post after fitting them you made no negative comments?

The ones in the pic are the blue pleather ones. They are the ones in love to use. I got a pair of blue velour that did not quite do it for me. i tried them for some hours and tried streatching the earhole and different things but went back to the pleather. I just lost all bass impact and the beautiful mids I had with the blue pleather ones.

Sep 21, 2012 at 8:50 AM Post #1,444 of 8,352
Quote:
Hard to tell. Speaker and headphone drivers usuall get demaged when underpowered amplifiers clip - then the distortion can reach several hundreds of % and it is easier to demage a huge speaker with say a 30 W amp than with a 300 W amp - the tweeters end up demaged most easily.  All it takes is a single burst below 1 second in duration - usually some whack on bass drum or similar.

Your case left the amp clipping for 4-5 minutes.

Listen to phones in question at normal listening level with known music. I wish you the best - but if they distort now ...

Please let us know the outcome.

What should I look out for? (I'm a noob). I read somewhere I should listen out for a buzzing sound or crackling? 

Thanks.

Sep 21, 2012 at 9:04 AM Post #1,445 of 8,352
I have no HD25 velours with foam inserts, so the foam i found at home is about 7mm thick!, and came with a motherboard I bought a few years ago. I cut two circular pieces and placed them in the ATH velours.
The result: more bass and It only softens the highs just a little. 

More pads and foam tweaking later.... ( my ATH leathers comes next week )

Happy listening.

Sep 21, 2012 at 9:28 AM Post #1,446 of 8,352
Quote:
Anyone interested I just saw this on the sale forums. Seems mugen3 here is one of those try it and sell it kinda dudes. These deserve a home for someone that don't want to import them.  http://www.head-fi.org/t/628304/jvc-ha-s500-gunmetal#post_8713768 These deserve a home for someone that deserves them.

Hey Ds, thanks for mentioning my sale. I knew something was odd when I got a dozen PMs out of nowhere lol. BTW you're right, I just wanted to try the S500s out. I never really intended to keep them since I have comfort issues with almost all headphones. Unfortunately that was the case here as well. Also I think you and I know no one would sell these unless that was the issue. These S500s are really amazing. I remember before they came out, I jokingly said they would sound better than $200-$300 headphones like the D2000s. Then I was shocked to see people actually making such claims, haha. These are the real deal. Stomps all over the M50s I once had.

Sep 21, 2012 at 9:52 AM Post #1,447 of 8,352
Quote:
The ones in the pic are the blue pleather ones. They are the ones in love to use. I got a pair of blue velour that did not quite do it for me. i tried them for some hours and tried streatching the earhole and different things but went back to the pleather. I just lost all bass impact and the beautiful mids I had with the blue pleather ones.

Ahhh i have just taken delivery of the blue pleather ones from the sennheiser adidas originals :) I'm still waiting for the delivery of the S500s though, were shipped 2 days ago from Japan and I'm in the UK :frowning2:

Sep 21, 2012 at 10:09 AM Post #1,448 of 8,352
[size=15.555556297302246px] [size=15.555556297302246px] Gee Simpson, if you are asking this, then your phones are most probably OK. Buzzing and crackling are normal after permanent demage that did not menage to burn out the voice coil. You could use some kind of a sweep, preferably very slow one, as fast one does not allow for the resonance(s) to build up fully and might get unnoticed at first. There have been some sweeps posted a few days ago in connection with burn in - you can try those.[/size][/size]

But if listening to music does not reveal nothing special, I would  stop worrying. In my expirience, even those voice coils that were subjected to gross overload and developed buzzing/crackling, sometimes "came back" after a month or so of music played at reasonable volume. Unfortunately,  that is more exception than the rule. 

Wish you the best.

Sep 21, 2012 at 10:22 AM Post #1,449 of 8,352
Quote:

Hey Ds, thanks for mentioning my sale. I knew something was odd when I got a dozen PMs out of nowhere lol. BTW you're right, I just wanted to try the S500s out. I never really intended to keep them since I have comfort issues with almost all headphones. Unfortunately that was the case here as well. Also I think you and I know no one would sell these unless that was the issue. These S500s are really amazing. I remember before they came out, I jokingly said they would sound better than $200-$300 headphones like the D2000s. Then I was shocked to see people actually making such claims, haha. These are the real deal. Stomps all over the M50s I once had.

@Mugen3

Sep 21, 2012 at 10:28 AM Post #1,450 of 8,352
DS or Anyone.

Ok, my problem is that i dont use my laptop or PC for music, i got my Rockboxed Clip+Ipad+IP4s+SG2 for music.  I dont like to have music or hear music on Pc's or Laptops,  So my question is,  is there a way i can use that Firewhatever  DAC on anything than my PC or Laptop??  i keep my music "on the go",  any other suggestions for my case?

Thanks

Sep 21, 2012 at 11:02 AM Post #1,451 of 8,352
Quote:
Well, decided to pick up a pair of these for fun, since I'm growing tired of the sound I'm getting from the Bose pair.
As I was getting ready to order, I browsed to Woot, and they had the Incase Sonic headphones for like, $50.

What do you guys think? Buy the S500s or the Incase?

Hey Paul,

I actually own both the S500 and the Sonic at the moment. I only got the Sonic a few days ago though.

Basically, in terms of comfort it's no contest for me, the Sonic is far superior. It's over-ears and feels great. It does heat up my ears, but otherwise I could keep wearing them for long periods of time.

Sound quality... well, the Sonic does sound good. Quite good, actually. But the bass is more enveloping and less precise, and you lose a lot of the midrange detail that's present with the S500. To my ears, the S500 is definitely superior.

I like the Sonic. It has a funky style thing going and feels really nice. I'm trying to decide whether to keep them or the Uptowns as my inexpensive over-ear option for home. But my S500s are staying for sure, and if there was a comfy over-ears version of the S500, I wouldn't be keeping the Sonic or the Uptown!

Sep 21, 2012 at 11:58 AM Post #1,453 of 8,352
how do these sound compared to jv ha-s650 and hfi 580?
i just bought hfi 580 three days ago hoping it will sound way better than my old 650. I'm still burning them in. At the moment i dont think it sounds a lot better than my 650. i dont feel its worth every penny. hfi 580's build quality feels cheap compared to 650. shall i return 580 and buy ha s500? I mostly listen to metal, dubstep and pop with my galaxy s3 and poweramp. thanks a lot

Sep 21, 2012 at 12:47 PM Post #1,454 of 8,352
Quote:

Better not to say "easier" though once you factor in human perception. Typically, people that are paying attention can easy recognize signs that an amp is starting to clip before it's at levels that cause damage and determine a volume that's safe to run their speakers at (and this is partially because the THD from the amp goes up at that point, too). On the other hand, if the amp well exceeds the speaker output ratings, the sound coming from the amp is so clean that people will miss the little bit of distortion that is coming from the speakers when getting close to the tweeter's limits. Then they run it that way for awhile, the heat builds up and the tweeter burns out. 

Since the JVC have a 1000mw @ 40ohm rating, I'd be curious to know how it held up to the abuse of running it that hard off a laptop headphone jack. Maybe they are as tough as they are sensitive with those nanotube drivers and will be OK. 
smile.gif

Sep 21, 2012 at 1:17 PM Post #1,455 of 8,352
Quote:
DS or Anyone.

Ok, my problem is that i dont use my laptop or PC for music, i got my Rockboxed Clip+Ipad+IP4s+SG2 for music.  I dont like to have music or hear music on Pc's or Laptops,  So my question is,  is there a way i can use that Firewhatever  DAC on anything than my PC or Laptop??  i keep my music "on the go",  any other suggestions for my case?

Thanks

Get yourself a E11 or if you want to get an all in one something like a E17. Your right in that the Fire Phoenix is more of a stationary DAC/ AMP it does require a power outlet. I own the E11 and it is probably one of the best portable amps you can get for the cash that will throw your music to a new level of sound.. Easy to use and expands your sound like a good amp should. Powerful too..Great for the price. The clip using a E11 sounds great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back