The JVC HA-S500 thread.
Aug 24, 2012 at 9:53 PM Post #871 of 8,352
Analogsurviver,  Thanks for the post........you have opened a whole new world of music for me with "Dead Can Dance", awesome stuff, as well as the rest of the links, you struck my bullseye for listening!

Keep it coming, for sure!  This music is fantastic on my S500 and home gears!

I can't believe how huge the soundstage is, and I am listening to Amazon.com samples at 256kbps, the wav files of these will be coming soon!

Aug 24, 2012 at 10:22 PM Post #872 of 8,352
Quote:
Analogsurviver,  Thanks for the post........you have opened a whole new world of music for me with "Dead Can Dance", awesome stuff, as well as the rest of the links, you struck my bullseye for listening!

Keep it coming, for sure!  This music is fantastic on my S500 and home gears!

I can't believe how huge the soundstage is, and I am listening to Amazon.com samples at 256kbps, the wav files of these will be coming soon!

Thank you for the comment. In musical world I always like best new discoveries and new ideas

Imagine how hard it is for me to lower the standards to YT level - CD at 44.1 kHz/16 bit is the absolute minimum resolution I listen to at home, With  the exception of MP3s at 192 kbps I record on my Korg MR1 from FM tuner - there is always new music to be discovered and there are limits on storage I can afford to do that. Korg MR 1 is also the ultimate portable DAP - see thread here on head-fi. DSD @ 5.6 MHz I record in for real requires 1GB per 11 minutes of audio.

And yea, Dead Can Dance are the last thing I know of that is ridiculously better on vynil than on CD - check the live album Towards The Within, there is a terrific live version of the song posted.
One of the best recorded ( and PERFORMED ! ) live albums ever.

Aug 24, 2012 at 10:32 PM Post #873 of 8,352
Quote:
Thank you for the comment. In musical world I always like best new discoveries and new ideas

Imagine how hard it is for me to lower the standards to YT level - CD at 44.1 kHz/16 bit is the absolute minimum resolution I listen to at home, With  the exception of MP3s at 192 kbps I record on my Korg MR1 from FM tuner - there is always new music to be discovered and there are limits on storage I can afford to do that. Korg MR 1 is also the ultimate portable DAP - see thread here on head-fi. DSD @ 5.6 MHz I record in for real requires 1GB per 11 minutes of audio.

And yea, Dead Can Dance are the last thing I know of that is ridiculously better on vynil than on CD - check the live album Towards The Within, there is a terrific live version of the song posted.

Thanks again.......you are so right!   I downloaded "Anastasia", and "Dead Can Dance" albums, and converted to .wav.....listening with jRiver MC 16 as I type, we have discussed my settings etc.  I am all over "Towards The Within", I really enjoy your taste in music, following you on headfi!  I just love finding new music/artists, should be spending my money on music!  Can't wait for more of your very interesting posts.....you are what headfi is all about.....exchanging knowledge and ideas!

Aug 24, 2012 at 10:39 PM Post #874 of 8,352
Any link to cyloh's mod you are referring? Do you mean the one which he moved the drivers to the CAL!'s body? (doesnt this needs soldering skills?)

Aug 24, 2012 at 11:51 PM Post #875 of 8,352
Quote:

"Towards The Within", live album A/B with my two channel Hafler amplifier/Usher speaker/M&K subs was outperformed with this album, by the S500 phones, realism exists in headphones! 

The FXD80 can't handle the treble on this album.....it is outperformed by he S500.....space/soundstage=realism on the S500 as well!  Awesome sound!

Aug 25, 2012 at 1:54 AM Post #876 of 8,352
Its hard for me to try to explain what i am hearing and sensing with these s500 and fx40, why? Mostly because i dont speak english so there are some langues issues. Second, as a noob i cant help with techincal stuff, so i really apreciate what Ds, Analogdude,Cute and all of you have to say about this phones.

There is only one thing than i can say... I am enjoing music like never before in my life thanks to these to phones (fx40 and S500).

thanks!

Next step for me is buyin better gear, i only got a sansa clip with a fiio e6 and an Ipad

Aug 25, 2012 at 2:15 AM Post #877 of 8,352
Is it bad that I still can't get over how good these sound?  I've been listening to them for roughly 30 hours and they're still blowing my mind. 
There was one spot in the burn-in process where something horrible happened to the bass and it became this boomy, muddy, recessed mess.  O_o
I haven't the faintest clue what the heck was going on. 
Thankfully some more burn-in fixed whatever happened and they're just sounding better and better and better now.

Dsnuts, thank you so much.  These are literally everything I've been looking for in a portable headphone, and they're about $100 less than I was expecting to spend.

I'm so very much in love with these things.  Gah!

Aug 25, 2012 at 2:17 AM Post #878 of 8,352
Quote:
Its hard for me to try to explain what i am hearing and sensing with these s500 and fx40, why? Mostly because i dont speak english so there are some langues issues. Second, as a noob i cant help with techincal stuff, so i really apreciate what Ds, Analogdude,Cute and all of you have to say about this phones.
There is only one thing than i can say... I am enjoing music like never before in my life thanks to these to phones (fx40 and S500).
thanks!

Next step for me is buyin better gear, i only got a sansa clip with a fiio e6 and an Ipad

The parts in bold are practically my exact feelings too. I don't feel like giving a review for these, even after burn in as tbh I'm a noob when it comes to audio. My 1st pair of IEM's were the FX 101's after joining up here not long ago. My 1st pair of Headphones are the s500's! So yeah I'm a mega noob lol
biggrin.gif
. I don't really know how to describe the sound as I can't use the technical terms like all the experienced guys do
redface.gif

I did listen to the s500's for about 30 mins before burn in and I loved them straight away! The detail on these are awesome! Remember though this is only in comparison with the FX 101's (which the s500's destroy in almost every area), so my impressions wouldn't be of much use anyways
rolleyes.gif

Aug 25, 2012 at 2:40 AM Post #879 of 8,352
Just an update. ~90 hours or so of loud bassdrive.

Funnily enough the bass has tightened up, and lessened.

Technically speaking these are great sounding, good balance, detail, now moderate bass.

They've definitely become fatiguing. The sound is good, but it's just plain harsh! after about an hour my ears are feeling hot (inner ear) and are ringing, and i'm not the only one. My father, whose ears aren't exactly sensitive said that he found them to be pretty harsh.

On the other hand, i was gifted a pair of Vmoda crossfade LPs (which I know nothing about) yesterday, that need some burn in as well. I'll likely compare the two when they're both at their best. I'm hoping that these S500s mellow out a bit, because they have all the characteristics of a high dollar headphone - they're just not possible to wear for any practical amount of time.

Aug 25, 2012 at 3:00 AM Post #880 of 8,352
Just stumbled on these nano fiber 50mm driver......guess where we are headed, the S500 started something, or they were first to market?

http://usa.denon.com/us/Product/Pages/ProductDetail.aspx?PCatId=Headphones(DenonNA)&CatId=MusicManiac(DenonNA)&PId=AHD7100(DenonNA)

The link is dead and I don't suspect it was Carbon Nanotube, headphones have used "Nano-" in the specs of the diaphragm material ever since the Qualia 010 or earlier.

The Qualia 010 retail price was over $2000, it was then re-released as the SA-5000 for ~$700 street price, then later as the SA-3000 for $400 (?), same or very similar driver the whole way, this is the headphone I first compared the S500 to since I currently only have three full-size HP's.

S500 doesn't come close to the SA3000 unless you like enhanced low quality bass imho.

Aug 25, 2012 at 3:03 AM Post #881 of 8,352
Quote:

These fit Sony MDR7506, outside dimmension is 3.75 X 2.75 of these pads......one would think that is a somewhat standard size for circumaural rectangular cups.  Now I need to find the dimmensions of the ear cups on the MDR7506 for compatibility?

Anyone have the Sony MDR7506?

http://www.amazon.com/Pearstone-9081860-Deluxe-Earpads-Pair/dp/B005GC7YJ2/ref=pd_cp_e_3

Ok I have beyer velour  pads on my HTF600. Lol. I forgot I had those. Never tried putting them on my HA-M750. Will let you know tomorrow if it works you got your velours.

Aug 25, 2012 at 3:32 AM Post #883 of 8,352
OMG OMG OMG THESE S500s ARE AUDIO SEX!!!!!  TRULY UNADULTERATED EARGASIMC ORGASM! EVERYTHING SOUNDS SO GENIUS AND AMAZING................................DIES FROM AUDIO BLISS.  :deadhorse:

MY AUDIO JOURNEY IS DONE, GOOD BYE GOOD FOLKS AT HEAD-FI. ahahahahahahahaha THIS SH!T CARY!

I'm utterly happy for you, that you have found your audio nirvana through these budget $55.00 headphones :happy_face1:

Aug 25, 2012 at 3:40 AM Post #884 of 8,352
Quote:
I'm utterly happy for you, that you have found your audio nirvana through these budget $55.00 headphones
happy_face1.gif

What can I say, the carbon nanotube gods has sent this blessing down to us, and as I have been a loyal and faithful follower I was rewarded with audio nirvana. 
tongue_smile.gif
Oh and I got them for $47.10 shipped, slickdealers always get the discount heeeeeee.  BELIEVE!!!
rolleyes.gif

@ Dsnuts/ ericp10 forever be in debt to you guys for bringing these to the forefront, a million thanks doesn't say enough! You'll ROCK meng. 

/ crony rant. 

Aug 25, 2012 at 4:03 AM Post #885 of 8,352
Quote:
What can I say, the carbon nanotube gods has sent this blessing down to us, and as I have been a loyal and faithful follower I was rewarded with audio nirvana. 
tongue_smile.gif
Oh and I got them for $47.10 shipped, slickdealers always get the discount heeeeeee.  BELIEVE!!!
rolleyes.gif

@ Dsnuts/ ericp10 forever be in debt to you guys for bringing these to the forefront, a million thanks doesn't say enough! You'll ROCK meng. 

/ crony rant. 

Same here, $47.10. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back