The JVC HA-S500 thread.
Aug 24, 2012 at 8:11 AM Post #826 of 8,352
Quote:

[size=10pt]That sound great then, I will definitely get the pair once they hit the States. [/size]
Also, I could be wrong, but I think S650 actually have  carbon fiber drives which made me to think that it will have similar sound to S500( carbon fiber – carbon nanotubes).
Anyway thanks for the time and help

The 650 like the 750 has carbon enclosures to improve sound not drivers, hence why I would like to know if the s500 drivers would go in the 750's as they are both 40mm.  I thought the 750 looked class (much better than the s500) and it covered the ears fully.  You could consider picking them up as the are quite cheap now, down from around £80-£100 at launch to about £25.

Aug 24, 2012 at 9:22 AM Post #827 of 8,352
It is too too bad..............
once i finished office and i pop out to town centre to buy the S500.........

but they told me that they post it wrongly!!
still not yet in market in HK!!!

fxxk....................

Aug 24, 2012 at 9:27 AM Post #828 of 8,352
Quote:
Was the soundstage/imaging change?  Any other changes in sound other than bass?

Quote:
The oval housing of S600 has the potential to have less or at least less prominent resonances than the round design of S500. Please comment on soundstage differences - I expect S600 housing to sound better.

So I listened to a bunch of live recordings last night to see if I noticed any soundstage changes with the driver transplant. I didn't really notice any change in width, but depth seems to be improved slightly. Imaging is also better. In general, i feel more immersed in the music if that makes sense. I think the low end is still slightly more forward/pronounced, but not in an intrusive way. Velours or thicker pads should get things exactly where they were. That's the best I can describe the changes.

Aug 24, 2012 at 10:25 AM Post #830 of 8,352
Quote:

So I listened to a bunch of live recordings last night to see if I noticed any soundstage changes with the driver transplant. I didn't really notice any change in width, but depth seems to be improved slightly. Imaging is also better. In general, i feel more immersed in the music if that makes sense. I think the low end is still slightly more forward/pronounced, but not in an intrusive way. Velours or thicker pads should get things exactly where they were. That's the best I can describe the changes.

Thank you for your response. Your remark regarding velours/thicker pads is right on money - minuscule thickness pad variations have very pronounced effect on lthe amount ower frequencies .Did you use any damping materials in your transplant or it is strictly as in photos?

I expected result along lines described. Egg shape is the perfect shape for (speaker) enclosure and is used by http://www.seelectronics.com/se-munro-egg-150.
Can't possibly argue with the results after auditioning them. Does anybody perhaps have Beyer Dynamic 231 ? - these  truly are egg shaped and if the driver from HA-S could possibly be fitted into that cup...

Aug 24, 2012 at 10:28 AM Post #831 of 8,352
Quote:

Thanks for the update.....according to you measurements the velour SRH950 pads would be too big, haven't found velours that will fit the S600 ear cups, but still looking.

Been looking at the JVC HA-M750 for a transplant as well, problems with frame breakage on those!

Aug 24, 2012 at 11:08 AM Post #834 of 8,352
Quote:
Thank you for your response. Your remark regarding velours/thicker pads is right on money - minuscule thickness pad variations have very pronounced effect on lthe amount ower frequencies .Did you use any damping materials in your transplant or it is strictly as in photos?

I expected result along lines described. Egg shape is the perfect shape for (speaker) enclosure and is used by http://www.seelectronics.com/se-munro-egg-150.
Can't possibly argue with the results after auditioning them. Does anybody perhaps have Beyer Dynamic 231 ? - these  truly are egg shaped and if the driver from HA-S could possibly be fitted into that cup...

I did not use any dampening material. What effect would that have theoretically?

Aug 24, 2012 at 11:14 AM Post #835 of 8,352
I'm pretty certain that the S500 is the first JVC headphone with the "carbon nanatubes" technology. The previous JVC headphones (S600, S700, etc. used a different type of carbon technology in the diaphragms, but not carbon nanotubes). 

Aug 24, 2012 at 11:23 AM Post #836 of 8,352
Quote:
I'm pretty certain that the S500 is the first JVC headphone with the "carbon nanatubes" technology. The previous JVC headphones (S600, S700, etc. used a different type of carbon technology in the diaphragms, but not carbon nanotubes). 

Correct. You can tell they are different  just by looking at them. The nanotube drivers have a clear diaphram where the traditional carbon diaphrams are a smokey black. At least on the s600.

Aug 24, 2012 at 11:25 AM Post #837 of 8,352
Quote:
Also, I could be wrong, but I think S650 actually have  carbon fiber drives which made me to think that it will have similar sound to S500( carbon fiber – carbon nanotubes).

Whoops.  Did some research and it looks like I was wrong.  Not quite sure how I got the idea of titanium drivers stuck in my brain 0.o 
Sorry about that.

Aug 24, 2012 at 12:17 PM Post #838 of 8,352
Quote:
I did not use any dampening material. What effect would that have theoretically?

Nature of human hearing is such that we can not diferentiate direct and reflected sound if certain amount time does not separate original direct and reflected sound - we arrived to those "settings" through evolution in simple quest to survive - to evade predtors most likely to prey on us. The exact time we can differentiate between direct and reflected sound is known through measurements - I forgot the value. But it is considerably larger than the difference in time from direct sound from the driver and the reflected sound bouncing from the back and edges of the closed cup like in HA-S500. Please see pics cyloh posted "a couple sides ago", the ones with the red felt. It is a step in the right direction.

The positive atributes you heard after transplant of the HA-S500 into HA-S600 oval cup are due to the oval and more irregular shape less likely to support resonance than round cup of HA-S500 that must have one strong housing resonance. Instead of one strong (technically: high Q ) resonance you got more  but less pronounced ( lower Q ) and more widely distributed resonances that are less likely to be audible and therefore colour the sound. The audible effects of dampening those resonances either through damping material(s), shape change or combination of the two should result in better width, depth and if really well done, height of the reproduced soundstage. And you can not have improvements in soundstage before more basic issues such as bass/mid/treble proportions are at least approximately right. You could perhaps be able to tell the exact spot a drummer has been hitting on the drum with each individual stroke and not just the individual drum in the kit - just an example for us Zappa  lovers ( starting from 20:45 ):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DVguBGbtgM

In classical, you could better diferentiate direct from reflected sound of the orchestra in various halls, individual player within the same group of instruments, etc etc.

In short, more informative sound with less listening fatigue allowing better insight into music. Finding the exact amount of damping is hard; overcook it and you will kill the sound. Trial and error is unfortunately the only practical way.

Aug 24, 2012 at 12:44 PM Post #839 of 8,352
For the guys debating which housing would be better for transplant. I own both the HA-S600 and the HA-M750. The HA-M750 is much stronger build and a bigger headphone than the HA-S600. I would try the HA-M750 housing.

Aug 24, 2012 at 1:28 PM Post #840 of 8,352
Quote:
For the guys debating which housing would be better for transplant. I own both the HA-S600 and the HA-M750. The HA-M750 is much stronger build and a bigger headphone than the HA-S600. I would try the HA-M750 housing.

I think the choice comes down to what results the end user is looking to achieve. Stronger and bigger = heavier and bulkier. The 750 weighs roughly 90 grams more and the s600 can also be found for about half the price. I personally have had great results with the s600. In the end it comes down to preference. They both look like a comfort upgrade for those who don't like or simply can't wear on ears. I also remember some one (I think cyloh) used a pair of Creative live for the transplant. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back