The JVC HA-S500 thread.
Aug 23, 2012 at 8:53 PM Post #811 of 8,352
I don't own the S500 but have owned the FXD80 and do own the SRH-940 and M80 and see the S500 sounding anything like either of those headphones as they completely different signatures. The 940 is highly detailed and analytical with a crisp mid/treble centric sound that is like an Etymotic signature on steroids in regards to bass, and sound stage. The M80 is a mid centric headphone with slightly rounded bass and treble. The S500 sounds like a bass oriented headphone with mids and treble improving with burnin. The difference in bass alone would be enough to differentiate these severely.

Aug 23, 2012 at 9:07 PM Post #812 of 8,352
Ok these are sounding nicer now on second attempt..........

That sour Thomas I quoted is listening only to classical music, I'd venture this kind of music is much more in line with these HP's............

Edit:  At medium volume the vocals seem a bit subdued, at higher volume they suddenly open up or is it just me?

In some other tracks the vocal positioning seems really precise, reminds me of the FXD80 in that aspect, or just me again?  A bit tired had a late night of listening =)

Aug 23, 2012 at 9:20 PM Post #813 of 8,352
Quote:
Recived my S500
beerchug.gif

Proceded to open the box, conected them to my "burning station"... i will report back September 6, i am not gonna listem to them until the "Burn in Hell" process is over.
In the meantime, i am enyoing my FX40 (aproching 500 hours of burn in) .. man this things ROCK!   they are simply amazing for the price.  Hopping my  S500 has the same mids, highs the Fx40 has,  with more bass and soundstage .

etysmile.gif

Sorry to disappoint you, but after you burn them S500 beyond 200 hrs you will NEVER get the "same mids, highs the Fx40 has" ...yes, there will be more bass only it's tighter, more controlled and deep, soundstage gain not only in left/right dimension but front and back displacement as well.

Coming back to the mids, they will get really forward on bass lite tunes, with a warmness and musicality which the Fx40 couldn't hope to match, highs are better compared to the flagship iem FXD80 rather than the Fx40.

In short, ...them S500 will spoil your Fx40 and relegate them to the "Bring out when there is very high chance you'll lose/damage them" category.

Very sorry to be the one "dissing" your favourite FX40  ...as I did recently to another very nice dude here on Head'fi !
biggrin.gif

Aug 23, 2012 at 9:30 PM Post #814 of 8,352
Quote:

That sour Thomas I quoted is listening only to classical music, I'd venture this kind of music is much more in line with these HP's............

for a second there i thought you were posting soulja boy 
blink.gif

i like it sounds a bit lik mc solaar flow.

sorry i couldnt fid a vid with better sq

Aug 23, 2012 at 9:56 PM Post #815 of 8,352
Quote:

I'll start this off with the HA-S650's and why I love them so much.
One word: Mids. 
There's something utterly addictive about the midrange. 
It's like french fries. 
You know there's better food out there.  Healthier, tastier, more filling.  But darn it all, you can't stop eating those freaking fries.
The veiled sound of the 650's is gentle, rather than muffled.  But there's this delightful edge to the sound due to (I suspect) the titanium drivers. 
They 650's are also supremely comfortable and are extremely portable as long as you leave them around your neck (which is relatively comfortable).
They have a very unique sound signature which I like very much, and they preform best as-is, without any amplification. 
In essence, the HA-S650's are the perfect grab-n-go, zero-fuss headphones. 

Now.  On to the HA-S500's.  Keep in mind that these have literally no burn-in. 
Wow. 
Just...
Wow.
Crystal clear detail retrieval and phenomenal speed in the upper regions of the sound.
These are rightfully labeled "HD"
Bass extension is excellent.  The only other headphone I have that can effortlessly reach as low as these are the XB500's. 
Highs sparkle, mids sing, bass punches.  The out-of-box sound on these is pretty amazing.

It has some downsides though.  
Bass is tight, controlled, and it punches beautifully; but it lacks some of the speed and clarity of the upper regions.  I wouldn't go so far as to call it flabby or slow, but it certainly isn't as refined as the rest of the sound signature. 
That being said,
from what I've read, burn-in clears it right up.  so I'm not worried about it. 

The only thing I'm really worried about is the fatigue.  Which is odd as I haven't seen anyone else on here complain about that.  But atm, there seems to be too much sparkle in the highs.  We'll see how that pans out.

The main differences.  
The 500's are faster and more detailed.  They have a cleaner, clearer sound, but they're also fatiguing to a point.  They're more comfortable around the neck and are more suited for heavy traveling due to their sturdier design and their ability to fold up for storage (I'm usually pretty reluctant to put the 650's in my backpack when flying.

The 650's are veiled, but not in a bad way.  They're more comfortable on the head and there's something elusively succulent about their midrange that the 500's don't quite get.
Soundstage is wider and more detailed on the 500's and instrument separation is definitely superior.
The 500's are the clear winner in sound quality.  They're nearly as comfortable, they travel better, and they respond positively to amplification, but they preform brilliantly without it (amplification only damages the 650's sound). 
And yet...  I'm absolutely planning on keeping the 650's.  I bought the 500's hoping for a upgraded HA-S650 sound.  Instead I got something different and better.  But I still love the sound of the 650's.

I'll chime back in soon with some direct comparisons on some select songs.

Thank you for the extensive review and comparison to S650.
I am slightly disappointed since I was expecting S500 to have the same sound signature as S650 but to be more refined (detailed).  They obviously are more detailed but I do not like that mids are inferior to s650.
Just like you I like S650 because of well extended and powerful bass (although sometimes it could be too much), wonderful full mids, and smooth unoffending treble. My AKG 240 Studio have similar qualities but with much less bass. The main point for me here is the as I said full mids, and by that I mean present low mids/mid-bass which gives the body to electric/bass guitars.
From your review it seems that S500 have a lot of bass and treble, especially treble. It is funny how many here are complaining that S500 does not have a lot of treble freq and yet you found S500’s treble to be fatiguing.  Could this be because of S650? I have been using only them for last ten days and when I tried my other headphones today they all sounded bassless and treble heavy. And I am talking about PortaPro and PX100-ii here which many find to be muddy to begin with.  J

Nonetheless I will give the S500 chance when they start to show up in the US, for $50(I hope so) they sound like great alternative and complementary set to S650.

Aug 23, 2012 at 10:20 PM Post #816 of 8,352
Quote:

Oh Nos I got quoted in blue, scares....................
Is that a positive "hmm..." like yeah this fool is right on, or the negative "hmm..." as in this fool is high on some mini cooper and is speaking outta his...?
rolleyes.gif

Quote:

To be fair I listened to the M-80's for 20 seconds so that was a vague comment.  If you want a solid comment these are better than the Koss PortaPro's for sure!!

I was hoping these would sound like the SRH-940 or ATH-ES10, my flame of hope was lit like kerosene in the desert and the wine cellar concrete wall echo bass shot a saline dagger into my silicon heart.

That was a bold statement for you to make for having just listened to it for 20 secs, even my noob @ss wouldn't make such a mistake.

You lost me with your complex metaphor, care to dumb it down a notch? So the S500 is kicking some major @ss for you.... 
normal_smile%20.gif

Quote:

Sorry to disappoint you, but after you burn them S500 beyond 200 hrs you will NEVER get the "same mids, highs the Fx40 has" ...yes, there will be more bass only it's tighter, more controlled and deep, soundstage gain not only in left/right dimension but front and back displacement as well.

Coming back to the mids, they will get really forward on bass lite tunes, with a warmness and musicality which the Fx40 couldn't hope to match, highs are better compared to the flagship iem FXD80 rather than the Fx40.

In short, ...them S500 will spoil your Fx40 and relegate them to the "Bring out when there is very high chance you'll lose/damage them" category.

Very sorry to be the one "dissing" your favourite FX40  ...as I did recently to another very nice dude here on Head'fi !
biggrin.gif

My ears are burning, don't want to sound conceited but am I that nice dude you speak of? If not......................
frown.gif
  "I loves my 40s"

So biased yet so epic LMAO, classic. 

edit: thank god for you brave souls for transplanting them S500 drivers, it's looking really good. Hope it retains the same great qualities as with the original housing. But for noobs like me self, I am just gonna pad on pad the thing and call it a day.  Leaving it to you professionals out there to do the dirty work while I salivate over them delicious transplants. YUMS.....
popcorn.gif

Aug 23, 2012 at 11:54 PM Post #817 of 8,352
Quote:

I am slightly disappointed since I was expecting S500 to have the same sound signature as S650 but to be more refined (detailed).  They obviously are more detailed but I do not like that mids are inferior to s650.
Just like you I like S650 because of well extended and powerful bass (although sometimes it could be too much), wonderful full mids, and smooth unoffending treble. My AKG 240 Studio have similar qualities but with much less bass. The main point for me here is the as I said full mids, and by that I mean present low mids/mid-bass which gives the body to electric/bass guitars.
From your review it seems that S500 have a lot of bass and treble, especially treble. It is funny how many here are complaining that S500 does not have a lot of treble freq and yet you found S500’s treble to be fatiguing.  Could this be because of S650? I have been using only them for last ten days and when I tried my other headphones today they all sounded bassless and treble heavy. And I am talking about PortaPro and PX100-ii here which many find to be muddy to begin with.  J

Nonetheless I will give the S500 chance when they start to show up in the US, for $50(I hope so) they sound like great alternative and complementary set to S650.

To be fair, Skian64 DID say that his S500 "have literally no burn-in" and if you went thru these threads, you could not have missed the large number of posts mentioning burn in before a proper audition with the S500.

I do not have any experiences with the S650 but I wouldn't be surprised to hear if a properly burn in S500 surpass them in the mids, this is judging from the mids out of my pair of S500 from open box to the state they are in right now.

Aug 24, 2012 at 12:08 AM Post #818 of 8,352
Quote:

panteraMetal... get the 500's.  That's all there is too it.  I'm actually glad they don't render my 650's obsolete because that means I have an excuse to keep them :wink:
They do compliment the 650's perfectly though.
also, you're right.  The highs are only fatiguing when A/B'ing with the 650's because the 650's have such gentle treble in comparison. 
Also, I've been burning them in with Daft Punk and the highs are already taming down a bit.  They still have that brilliant sparkle though.

Here...

Try listening to this:

at about 1:26 the chimes show up.  On the 650 they're smooth, recessed, whatevs.  on the 500's... oh goodness.  you have no idea what you're missing.

The mids...
I couldn't give you a straight answer.  The mids on the 500's are excellent, far better than they have any right to be.  They're just not as prominent as the mids on the 650's and they miss that...  that edge that makes the mids on the 650's so dang addicting.  I blame the titanium drivers on the 650's.

Also, the bass on the 500's is better.  Period.  It goes deeper, hits harder, it's cleaner, it's more detailed, and it's just... better.

But don't think that they're V shaped.  They're actually beautifully balanced.  The best way to describe them would be: dynamic.  Everything is there.  Nothing overrides anything else.  You don't have bass bleeding into your mids, you don't have mids drowning out treble, you don't have sibilance, you don't have distortion.  Everything is there, and it works, and it's absolutely glorious.  I've been shuffling through my entire music collection (over 4 months worth of music) when I'm not burning these in and I haven't found a single song they can't handle brilliantly.  These are everything I've been looking for in a pair of portable headphones.  They cover all the weaknesses of the 650's while retaining the strengths.

And they're still not burned in yet :3

Aug 24, 2012 at 12:36 AM Post #820 of 8,352
Quote:

Yeah !   ...I remember now, you're the dude I spoke of.

Pardon me as I got my head in the ground !    ...Love ya, brother !
biggrin.gif

Same here meng, we earned that warning badge of honor together. WOOT WOOT LoL, good times, good times. 
beerchug.gif

WoW looks like there are more people than we originally thought there would be getting these S500s so quickly.  At this rate once the buzz gets out there's gonna be a shortage as Dsnuts predicted, time to hoard them babies. ha

Aug 24, 2012 at 1:14 AM Post #821 of 8,352

Very sorry to be the one "dissing" your favourite FX40  ...as I did recently to another very nice dude here on Head'fi ! :D

Just read my latest impression of my fx40's in the fx discovery thread. All i am going to say is that whatever should be its gonna be but i am ready for whatever happens. Still rambling after beeing hit by these lousy not so good cheap fx40.....

No, i am not going to hear them until september 6 at noon, better, i am not going to read this thread until september 6. Just all of youu enjoy your. "they are sounding better as they burn" s500's. September 6, whatever its has tombe it will be. Rickdohc--- Out!

:D

Jess. My english su@€...whatever

Aug 24, 2012 at 3:48 AM Post #822 of 8,352
Quote:

Edit:  At medium volume the vocals seem a bit subdued, at higher volume they suddenly open up or is it just me?

In some other tracks the vocal positioning seems really precise, reminds me of the FXD80 in that aspect, or just me again?  A bit tired had a late night of listening =)

I'm still chuckling at " sour Thomas" , as I was about to post you answer for after the burn in performance of HA-S500 starting with " doubting Thomas"!
I did listen to the track you posted, and yes, it is the music I would frequent the least. Not because I dislike it; in fact I liked it pretty much. Of course I did not understand a word - in which language it is?I  All the rap and similar styles are inherently subservant to narrative like vocal and therefore any real dynamics are the first thing to be avoided; it is a genre I respect for the artistic expression of their "here & now" but would never use it for SQ purposes unless I was personally familiar with the artist's voice in real life.

ClaSSICAL ONLY, HUH? I listened live to these guys at least two times : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fanfare_Cioc%C4%83rlia When it comes to sheer power and thrill & whatever you will in anything acoustic, you can not beat gypsy ( or politically correct. roman ) band - period. Last time I was in Belgrade (ex Yugoslavia, now capital of Serbia ) I accidentaly run into Feat Sejdic band ( one of the most highly regarded bands in this genre ) playing in the street. Although they were in their minimum force, 4 players IIRC, from about 2 metres from them , the sheer sound was synaptic overload - to stay polite about it. To the heck with politeness - my balls were swinging with that music! It was that loud, raw and pure at the same time - the first person who menages to approach or meet this audio quality using any tecnological means imaginable to record and reproduce that sound deserves a Nobel prize, no second place. So far, anything reproduced lags by light years behind that band on that day at that place.

I listened to whole CDs of Fanfare Ciocarlia yesterday: Gili Garabdi and Queens & Kings. I found this as an example I reckon  is the most fitting description of Fanfare Ciocarlia on youtube; usual reminder to set the resolution to the highest applies, as well that CD quality is much better than 
youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9Gu-4MnfpE The YT version is treble happy to the extreme; here the discogs credits for this CD/track:
http://www.discogs.com/Fanfare-Cioc%C4%83rlia-Queens-And-Kings/release/1260001

The closest representation to real sound of Fanfare Ciocarlia I found on YT is this:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ge1EULAEC7Q

As always, enjoy your music.

Aug 24, 2012 at 4:07 AM Post #823 of 8,352
Quote:
I'm still chuckling at " sour Thomas" , as I was about to post you answer for after the burn in performance of HA-S500 starting with " doubting Thomas"!
I did listen to the track you posted, and yes, it is the music I would frequent the least. Not because I dislike it; in fact I liked it pretty much. Of course I did not understand a word - in which language it is?I  All the rap and similar styles are inherently subservant to narrative like vocal and therefore any real dynamics are the first thing to be avoided; it is a genre I respect for the artistic expression of their "here & now" but would never use it for SQ purposes unless I was personally familiar with the artist's voice in real life.

ClaSSICAL ONLY, HUH? I listened live to these guys at least two times : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fanfare_Cioc%C4%83rlia When it comes to sheer power and thrill & whatever you will in anything acoustic, you can not beat gypsy ( or politically correct. roman ) band - period. Last time I was in Belgrade (ex Yugoslavia, now capital of Serbia ) I accidentaly run into Feat Sejdic band ( one of the most highly regarded bands in this genre ) playing in the street. Although they were in their minimum force, 4 players IIRC, from about 2 metres from them , the sheer sound was synaptic overload - to stay polite about it. To the heck with politeness - my balls were swinging with that music! It was that loud, raw and pure at the same time - the first person who menages to approach or meet this audio quality using any tecnological means imaginable to record and reproduce that sound deserves a Nobel prize, no second place. So far, anything reproduced lags by light years behind that band on that day at that place.

I listened to whole CDs of Fanfare Ciocarlia yesterday: Gili Garabdi and Queens & Kings. I found this as an example I reckon  is the most fitting description of Fanfare Ciocarlia on youtube; usual reminder to set the resolution to the highest applies, as well that CD quality is much better than 
youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9Gu-4MnfpE The YT version is treble happy to the extreme; here the discogs credits for this CD/track:
http://www.discogs.com/Fanfare-Cioc%C4%83rlia-Queens-And-Kings/release/1260001

The closest representation to real sound of Fanfare Ciocarlia I found on YT is this:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ge1EULAEC7Q

As always, enjoy your music.

Correction - the last link should be this, disregard originally posted:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6lp9iI3UJs

Aug 24, 2012 at 7:27 AM Post #825 of 8,352
Quote:

panteraMetal... get the 500's.  That's all there is too it.  I'm actually glad they don't render my 650's obsolete because that means I have an excuse to keep them :wink:
They do compliment the 650's perfectly though.
also, you're right.  The highs are only fatiguing when A/B'ing with the 650's because the 650's have such gentle treble in comparison. 
Also, I've been burning them in with Daft Punk and the highs are already taming down a bit.  They still have that brilliant sparkle though.

Here...

Try listening to this:

at about 1:26 the chimes show up.  On the 650 they're smooth, recessed, whatevs.  on the 500's... oh goodness.  you have no idea what you're missing.

The mids...
I couldn't give you a straight answer.  The mids on the 500's are excellent, far better than they have any right to be.  They're just not as prominent as the mids on the 650's and they miss that...  that edge that makes the mids on the 650's so dang addicting.  I blame the titanium drivers on the 650's.

Also, the bass on the 500's is better.  Period.  It goes deeper, hits harder, it's cleaner, it's more detailed, and it's just... better.

But don't think that they're V shaped.  They're actually beautifully balanced.  The best way to describe them would be: dynamic.  Everything is there.  Nothing overrides anything else.  You don't have bass bleeding into your mids, you don't have mids drowning out treble, you don't have sibilance, you don't have distortion.  Everything is there, and it works, and it's absolutely glorious.  I've been shuffling through my entire music collection (over 4 months worth of music) when I'm not burning these in and I haven't found a single song they can't handle brilliantly.  These are everything I've been looking for in a pair of portable headphones.  They cover all the weaknesses of the 650's while retaining the strengths.

And they're still not burned in yet :3

[size=10pt]That sound great then, I will definitely get the pair once they hit the States. [/size]
Also, I could be wrong, but I think S650 actually have  carbon fiber drives which made me to think that it will have similar sound to S500( carbon fiber – carbon nanotubes).
Anyway thanks for the time and help

Users who are viewing this thread

Back