The JVC HA-S500 thread.
Dec 8, 2015 at 2:00 PM Post #8,267 of 8,352
lol. If they discontinued them like a year or so ago, I'am sure their price would have sky rocketed by now much like with XB500s.

I've bought XB500s several years ago for about $50 brand new. To add to that It was back when the dollar was worth much less (in today's currency for us outside of USA it would be something more like $35).

and now after 3 or so years of heavy usage I can sell them for AT LEAST $85. While the new ones, I can't believe my eyes but people are selling those remaining unpacked ones for $300!

Dec 17, 2015 at 3:38 PM Post #8,269 of 8,352
  Ordered these like 10 days ago on ebay. So looking forward to try them out!!! And also some velour pads on Aliexpress when I read about the comfort being so so. But I am quite sure the comfort is still better then my stock Somic MH463 :)

Can you compare the S500 and MH463?  Which do you like more?

Dec 17, 2015 at 6:44 PM Post #8,270 of 8,352
Well, I am still getting acquainted with S500 but besides looking like a d*ck when whearing these headphones, (it's the shape of that damn bridge) I am very pleasantly surprised with the sound quality. Can be quite bassy at times but still able to give great details in mids and highs. Miles Davis gave me some chills today at the work. Comfort is certainly nothing to write home about since my ears do hurt after an hour, hour and a half. I will definitely search for some better pads. But still better comfort than my old AKG K450, not to mention the sound… Anyways JVC HA-S500 certainly stays in my collection.

Somic MH463 blew me away when I bought them like 3 or 4 years ago. What a sound for 40 bucks… they really left me sitting with my mouth open for quite some time :) Very nice soundstage and all around performance, beautiful sub-bass and clarity. Just an awesome sound for the money but again the comfort is not the best. You may want to buy better pads for these. They are also bit on the heavy side…

And I am also a happy owner of Takstar HI2050 for about 2 weeks now. These are also insanely good bang for your buck. Bought these on aliexpress for 35 bucks and it was the same case as with the Somics. Great soundstage, great bass, overall clarity is unheard of and they also carry this nice punch to the sound… Listened to some Pantera the other day and couldn't believe it. No kidding. Maybe it's the "new headphones syndrome" speaking but I can't get enough of these right now. Comfort is definitely the best of these 3 pairs that I mentioned. I actually ordered Takstar HI2050 pads for the Somic MH463!

What can I say, all of them are great on a budget. Just keep in mind that you may need to do some pads exchange. Right now I would probably go 1. Takstar HI2050 / 2. JVC HA-S500 / 3. Somic MH463. Decisions, decisions :)

Dec 18, 2015 at 2:16 AM Post #8,271 of 8,352
Well, I am still getting acquainted with S500 but besides looking like a d*ck when whearing these headphones, (it's the shape of that damn bridge) I am very pleasantly surprised with the sound quality. Can be quite bassy at times but still able to give great details in mids and highs. Miles Davis gave me some chills today at the work. Comfort is certainly nothing to write home about since my ears do hurt after an hour, hour and a half. I will definitely search for some better pads. But still better comfort than my old AKG K450, not to mention the sound… Anyways JVC HA-S500 certainly stays in my collection.

Somic MH463 blew me away when I bought them like 3 or 4 years ago. What a sound for 40 bucks… they really left me sitting with my mouth open for quite some time :) Very nice soundstage and all around performance, beautiful sub-bass and clarity. Just an awesome sound for the money but again the comfort is not the best. You may want to buy better pads for these. They are also bit on the heavy side…

And I am also a happy owner of Takstar HI2050 for about 2 weeks now. These are also insanely good bang for your buck. Bought these on aliexpress for 35 bucks and it was the same case as with the Somics. Great soundstage, great bass, overall clarity is unheard of and they also carry this nice punch to the sound… Listened to some Pantera the other day and couldn't believe it. No kidding. Maybe it's the "new headphones syndrome" speaking but I can't get enough of these right now. Comfort is definitely the best of these 3 pairs that I mentioned. I actually ordered Takstar HI2050 pads for the Somic MH463!

What can I say, all of them are great on a budget. Just keep in mind that you may need to do some pads exchange. Right now I would probably go 1. Takstar HI2050 / 2. JVC HA-S500 / 3. Somic MH463. Decisions, decisions :)

Dec 20, 2015 at 2:53 PM Post #8,272 of 8,352
Takstar HI2050

That's actually the first time I've ever heard of them.
And after googling them,I would say they certainly look like some chinese over-the-counter Beyerdynamic clones. Not very inspiring.

Dec 22, 2015 at 2:03 PM Post #8,274 of 8,352
It's hard to read through over 500 pages on threads, so I'll ask some questions about this...

1. How are the pad's comfort and durability? Are they as bad as these, and if yes, how replaceable are they?

2. I've only really tried in ears, and my favourite is the Ostry Kc06. I know its a bit of an unfair comparison, but how does the sound compare?

Dec 25, 2015 at 2:33 PM Post #8,275 of 8,352
Comfort:
Requires getting used to at first. Afterwards, your mileage will vary, people are usually able to wear them uninterruptedly without discomfort ranging from ~40min to 2-3 hours or so. Not the most comfortable cans in the world, but you may get lucky like me and get used to their feel really well. :p

Durability:
very good. No signs of wear after one year. Should be much better than XB500.

Feb 1, 2016 at 10:23 PM Post #8,276 of 8,352
I originally only bought a pair of pleathers pads for my JVC HA-S500 just to see if they were up to the hype - which they were and much more comfortable than the originals. 

Now one pair is torn and wang_yifei http://www.ebay.com/itm/-/261417588188?ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:HK:3160 - no longer stocks the version I bought.  Anyone have any other links for replacements? 

Feb 2, 2016 at 2:55 AM Post #8,277 of 8,352
  I originally only bought a pair of pleathers pads for my JVC HA-S500 just to see if they were up to the hype - which they were and much more comfortable than the originals. 

Now one pair is torn and wang_yifei http://www.ebay.com/itm/-/261417588188?ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:HK:3160 - no longer stocks the version I bought.  Anyone have any other links for replacements? 

ATH Esw55 pad. Although it is abit expensive but it is pretty comfortable.

It seems i have break my S500. The right side broke away from it's housing..
frown.gif

Feb 2, 2016 at 4:52 AM Post #8,278 of 8,352
ESW55 or ES55?  I could only find ES55 http://www.ebay.com/itm/Official-audio-technica-replacement-ear-cushions-pads-HP-ES55-for-ATH-ES55-NEW-/271705813508?hash=item3f42edb204:g:JMAAAOSwiCRUisnN - and they're like you said 2x.

I'm just looking for something with the same sound as the ones I got from wang_yifei that others had recommended, but are no longer available.

I found two other sellers with similar ones for SJ5 headphones (like wang_yifei). 
- http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-pair-New-Replacement-Ear-Pads-for-ATH-SJ5-SJ55-ES7-Headphones-/252221849589?hash=item3ab997fff5:g:ttQAAOSw5IJWd6Ut
- http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-pair-New-Replacement-ear-pads-For-Audio-Technica-ATH-SJ5-SJ55-ES7-Headphones-/261358644810?hash=item3cda306e4a:g:jGgAAMXQVT9StSFB

Any ideas if these will give same sound - or am I being paranoid?

Feb 2, 2016 at 4:58 AM Post #8,279 of 8,352
http://www.yodobashi.com/ec/product/100000001001390390/
Ws55 pad sorry.

About the sound. No, it affect the sound. Bass impact is less than stock pad.
But the comfort increase makes me pick the ws55 pad instead.

Feb 3, 2016 at 4:34 AM Post #8,280 of 8,352
I guess after my hype has more or less settled on them I can be more objective on these headphones.

These headphones are truly unique in a way that they are able to reproduce that juicy punchy midbass but still have the presence of mids. The highs are here as well, but definitely not sibilant. No doubt in my mind these are the absolute best pick you can have in the sub $40 category and can even come head to head with some of the cans priced closer to $100.

However the main drawbacks I see in these headphones are the recessed 2khz and narrow soundstage (partially because of that 2k dip). Lack of 2khz response is even noticeable on some dubstep tunes like Breathe by Mark the beast where it just sounds too dark, muffled in a way and lacking details in the mids. This kind of frequency response seems to be a common problem to varying extent all the way to SZ2000s though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back