The JVC HA-S500 thread.
Jul 6, 2014 at 3:56 PM Post #8,089 of 8,352
I love them, but what are the opinions regarding transporting them? They didn't come with a case and I'm hesitant about tossing them in my backpack with the rest of my junk...
with throwing them around everywhere 5 days a week under all my books, there's nothing wrong with mine, sound great, they're tanks man.

Jul 11, 2014 at 12:37 AM Post #8,090 of 8,352
Hi, from the recommendation on this thread I got a pair of these headphones and I'm very pleased with them. I burned them in for about forty hours and man they sound great. 

I use them on my home system or with the mobile app TuneShell and they are the bomb. Thanks guys for pushing me in the right direction!
atsmile.gif

Jul 26, 2014 at 2:07 PM Post #8,091 of 8,352
I've got a split connection on mine near the plug. Any idea how I can get these fixed without paying an arm and a leg? I don't own any tools to do it myself. Would JVC be able to fix these or am I out of luck since they are a JVC Japan product?

Edit: Currently waiting on the phone with JVC USA to get a number for JVC Japan, or any other kind of help. I did notice that JVC USA sells the S400, so if I can't get these phones fixed I might get the S400's or something else that would be easier to get fixed. 

Jul 26, 2014 at 2:28 PM Post #8,092 of 8,352
Any Electronics shop or Stereo shop should be able to replace the plug for you at a reasonable cost.

Don't you have a friend's that can solder?

Jul 26, 2014 at 2:42 PM Post #8,093 of 8,352
Probably not. It wouldn't hurt to ask I guess but I use these in the gym 5x a week and I don't have anything else that I want to use in their place so I'm kind of in a rush to get these fixed (these are the only on-ears I have besides a pair of much more fragile yamaha's, and I don't want to use over ears in the gym as it'd get uncomfortable really quickly). 

I just got off the phone with an electronics repair shop that said they'd do it for $25 (!!). I'm going to negotiate with them and see if i can get a better deal because spending $25 to fix the plug on a pair of $50 headphoens is a little absurd. Then again, I just love these headphones! Buying a new one honestly wouldn't make a huge differen

Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can prevent stress on the plug from damaging the cord on these after i get them fixed? 

Jul 26, 2014 at 2:59 PM Post #8,094 of 8,352
I use one of the silicon bands around my X3 halfway up with the headphone cable in between the band and the X3. Sort of acts like a strain relief instead of at the plug.

Jul 31, 2014 at 2:00 PM Post #8,095 of 8,352
  So, now that almost 2 years have past since this thread was started, are people still enjoying the S500's or has everyone moved on to other things?  I'm thinking about selling my Mikros 90 and picking up a set of these.  The bass on the 90s just doesn't do it for me.

still using them as an ON-ROAD portable headphones
along with my XBA-2IP

my current IN-DOOR setup is > ATH-AD500X & SMSL SD793II

Aug 18, 2014 at 6:44 AM Post #8,098 of 8,352
Hi Guys! I've just joined the forums (this is my first post actually) though I've been browsing head fi for several years now and finally got my lazy self to make an account. 

I know I'm late to all the hype on the s500s but regardless I've been looking for a good pair of portable cans and figured that I would go with these. The only thing that's keeping me from buying them is the subject of noise isolation. In other words, do these portables block outside noise well enough? Or barely at all? 

Aug 18, 2014 at 7:08 AM Post #8,099 of 8,352
I use them at the grocery store all the time and they block out the constant chatter of people and the PA system very well.

They are not as isolating as a set of full size headphones or not as open as Porta Pro's.

On the scale of isolation with IEM's having the best isolation with a 90% blockage, these would be in the 65% range with Porta Pro's at 40%.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back