The JVC HA-S500 thread.
Dec 16, 2013 at 10:46 AM Post #7,801 of 8,352
Great thanks for advice! The whole idea of burn in is new to me so I had no idea how to go about it. Some people said it was really important and others didn't seem to worry about it. I'll leave them for the minute then.

Just play my banging Trance mixes at 75% volume for few days and you'll be golden! :wink:

Dec 16, 2013 at 11:02 AM Post #7,803 of 8,352
How would it change the sound?

Bass will tighten up, mid will come forward slightly and the whole presentation will be come more clear.

Dec 17, 2013 at 10:40 PM Post #7,805 of 8,352
It was almost a year since I last bought a set of headphones so I figure it was a good time to try a new set out. I was stuck between the vmoda m80's and these, but after reading that the m80's may not fit right on bigger heads, the s500 won out. And of course the price played a big part too. 

I am truly amazed how well they sound straight out of the box. Usually I find myself disappointed with headphones until they have a few or more hours of burn in. 

I think the s500 might end of being my favorite pair of headphones if with burn in they only get better. For comparison I own the Denon hp500, ath m-50 and the legendary (original) gr07's.

I find they beat the m50's in bass, much more punchy and an overall smoother sound which I tend to enjoy. The s500's also have an energy, just a more overall fun sound to them. The only area the m50's beat out the s500's are in comfort. If I was going to listen to music for multiple hours then I still throw on the m50's.

As much as I like the gr07, they lack... a big sound. I love them if I going to listen to an album where the vocals are the highlight, like a Michael Jackson album. They present the vocals like no other, thats for sure. When I switch over to say a Metallica album, I definitely prefer the s500's. I dont hear the details as well with the s500's but the hard hitting bass and that bigger sound make up for it.

The s500's are amazing and a steal at the 53 dollars I paid for them.

Dec 18, 2013 at 12:24 AM Post #7,806 of 8,352
The M50's recessed mids are a fatal flaw in my opinion. Listening to some music I've heard many times before I kept thinking something was missing. They clearly have more detail than the S500's but also have slight sibilance. Overall the S500's offer a more complete sound. 

Dec 18, 2013 at 4:45 AM Post #7,807 of 8,352
Ok thanks. Being very new to this world I'm now going to go and looks up a few of those expressions though! Delving into the world of headphones is like having to learn a new language!

True statement.

I will add that its much easier to learn the language of headphones if you are rich. Then again in most cases if thats true then you dont really have much time to listen to the headphones you buy lol

Dec 18, 2013 at 6:06 AM Post #7,809 of 8,352
I'm a medical student in london paying extortionate tuition fees and living costs so looks like I'll have to learn the hard way! This does mean I have long nights in the library to use them though.

hahah i feel ya bro. spend less time learning audiophile jargon to cram drug names & medical jargon.

you need a solid pair of noise-isolating/NC headphones for those long nights in the lib.

good luck w/ your studies! there is a light at the end of the tunnel & everything gets betta once you get onto rotations.

Dec 18, 2013 at 6:07 AM Post #7,810 of 8,352
I'm a medical student in london paying extortionate tuition fees and living costs so looks like I'll have to learn the hard way! This does mean I have long nights in the library to use them though.

Thats not good for buying lots of headphones though.

Btw, my S680 have arrived in UK and now are in Parcelforce customs since last night. I'm expecting so sort of charge considering they were sent from Japan via EMS.

Dec 18, 2013 at 7:23 AM Post #7,811 of 8,352
After 3 days of burn-in and break-in, my overall impressions remain the same. There is a bloat and diffuseness to the lower mid and bass range, and it lacks precise sound-stage as the SuperLux, KSC-75, TakStar Pro 80 and many other cans I have possess.

Muddy and confused, slow and slurred.

On tube or SS, on several different music players, on a variety of musical styles.

More burn-in to follow. It seems up to 200 hours, so I shan't update for several weeks.

Dec 18, 2013 at 7:27 AM Post #7,812 of 8,352
  hahah i feel ya bro. spend less time learning audiophile jargon to cram drug names & medical jargon.

you need a solid pair of noise-isolating/NC headphones for those long nights in the lib.

good luck w/ your studies! there is a light at the end of the tunnel & everything gets betta once you get onto rotations.

Ha cheers for the advice. Don't even get me started about medicine as a second language! Ive got some IEMs for the library and to carry in my pocket for convenience but would love some noise cancelling phones in the future. A long way in the future. God I cant wait to get out of the lecture theatre and into the hospital! only half a year to wait.

Thats not good for buying lots of headphones though.

Btw, my S680 have arrived in UK and now are in Parcelforce customs since last night. I'm expecting so sort of charge considering they were sent from Japan via EMS.

You're kidding me! There is a newer pair!?!? Those look fantastic! I will look forward to your review but they might find their way onto my birthday list in April if they are as good as the first reviews suggest. I'm now more confused about burn in though as people on the s680 page say one advantage is they burn in in 48 hours rather than the 200 hours it takes the s500! If that is true I better get started!

Dec 18, 2013 at 7:31 AM Post #7,813 of 8,352

You're kidding me! There is a newer pair!?!? Those look fantastic! I will look forward to your review but they might find their way onto my birthday list in April if they are as good as the first reviews suggest. I'm now more confused about burn in though as people on the s680 page say one advantage is they burn in in 48 hours rather than the 200 hours it takes the s500! If that is true I better get started!

Nope, not kidding you. :)

The new ones are supposed to be massively improved, and cost pretty much the same as the HA-S500.

Hopefully the first impressions will come next week at some point as it looks like I'm definitely gonna get charged by ParcelForce for the import:

From now on I shall be very wary of ordering anything with EMS shipping.

Dec 18, 2013 at 7:34 AM Post #7,814 of 8,352

Nope, not kidding you. :)

The new ones are supposed to be massively improved, and cost pretty much the same as the HA-S500.

Hopefully the first impressions will come next week at some point as it looks like I'm definitely gonna get charged by ParcelForce for the import:

From now on I shall be very wary of ordering anything with EMS shipping.

Thats really frustrating. Are EMS renowned for having charges attached compared to other shipping methods? I assumed buying from Japan everyone would get a charge.

Dec 18, 2013 at 7:40 AM Post #7,815 of 8,352

Thats really frustrating. Are EMS renowned for having charges attached compared to other shipping methods? I assumed buying from Japan everyone would get a charge.

Well, I think they are really cracking down on imports now. Before a year or so ago I never got charged once, even using EMS shipping... and I gotta tell ya I have imported lots of stuff back in the days.

To be honest, I would stay away from EMS if at all possible as that usually comes into ParcelForce UK and they are absolute bastards when it comes to customs tax charges and their fees.

I'd advise everyone to ask for UPS, DHL or FedEx shipping from any non-EU seller!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back