The JVC HA-S500 thread.
Jun 17, 2013 at 9:32 AM Post #6,796 of 8,352
Hmm... those all have quite a price difference comparing to the 32bit/192khz Breeze Audio DAC. All for a volume knob lol

To be honest I'd only have it connected to my laptop, so I wouldn't really need analog volume control. Just wanna have close to the best audio quality for not too much money lol

First Sabre 2 seemed like the best choice, but its flawed in a sense that it can't be powered by USB. Only DC in.

Then the original Sabre caught my eye again, but now Breeze Audio is on top for me simply because of the ridiculously high sample rate. Its only £10 more as well. I'm sold lol

Just a shame I spent £40 on a MUNDORF gold/silver LOD cable yesterday, otherwise I would have grabbed that DAC without thinking much.

Jun 17, 2013 at 10:01 AM Post #6,797 of 8,352
I have my ELE but the thing is so dang LOUD and without the analog control the steps in volume are very frustrating. I have enjoyed the sound improvements over on-board, though. I can continue to use the ELE for portable use when needed and get something more substantial for the desktop. There are also RCA connectors on the Breeze Audio enclosures, which is useful for feeding to my speakers. The 32-bit is intriguing, but I don't know that I have anything that's high enough quality to take advantage of that.

I will be interested to hear what the 32/192 Breeze is like, though. I've been interested in the CS4398 DAC ever since the Fire Phoenix hype of yesteryear.

Jun 17, 2013 at 11:21 AM Post #6,798 of 8,352
Quote:
I have my ELE but the thing is so dang LOUD and without the analog control the steps in volume are very frustrating. I have enjoyed the sound improvements over on-board, though. I can continue to use the ELE for portable use when needed and get something more substantial for the desktop. There are also RCA connectors on the Breeze Audio enclosures, which is useful for feeding to my speakers. The 32-bit is intriguing, but I don't know that I have anything that's high enough quality to take advantage of that.

I will be interested to hear what the 32/192 Breeze is like, though. I've been interested in the CS4398 DAC ever since the Fire Phoenix hype of yesteryear.

That's what is most interesting to me as well, and it can be powered from USB too. Unlike Sabre 2, which requires DC power adapter which they don't supply (kinda daft if you ask me).

Jun 17, 2013 at 4:24 PM Post #6,799 of 8,352
Thanks, S500! You halted my runaround with my IEM search. It was a little bit schizophrenic:

1. I need IEM's for working out. Staying in is key. I also want them so when my ears get irritated by headphones, I can switch out.
  2. Oh, hi Meelectronics M6! You look cheap and serviceable!
  3. Ooooo. Look at how cheap BA IEM's have become! I've never owned one...
  4. WOW. For just double the price of the M6 I can have a BA!? No way, I should get those.
  5. etc.
  6. ...
  7. WAIT. Why am I looking at enormous IEM's when I needed a pair for working out?
  8. *buys M6. Leave me alone. S500's keep me!

Jun 17, 2013 at 4:44 PM Post #6,803 of 8,352
Jun 17, 2013 at 4:47 PM Post #6,804 of 8,352
Quote:

Save some money and get yourself Zero Audio DX210 Carbo Basso. :wink:

...for less than or around $50? 
redface.gif

Sorry haha. Didn't think this thread would explode with my announcing a purchase of a workout pair, no matter what it is. I'm set on over the ear, and pretty much set on a nestled-in-the-ear shape a la Shure SE215.

Jun 18, 2013 at 5:17 AM Post #6,808 of 8,352
Jun 18, 2013 at 8:07 PM Post #6,809 of 8,352
I actually tried the FX3X before. Wasn't my cup of tea. Also considered the FX40 but it seemed to have that Monoprice IEM clumsiness to its look that I didn't want to deal with.

I went with the UE200. Looked simple and frill-free. Should get here tomorrow. Picked it because it seems to be the only really cheap thing that doesn't bury the mids, like I've heard a few people say the SHE358(9)0 do.

Jun 19, 2013 at 10:10 AM Post #6,810 of 8,352
Hi.... just wanted to say that i still love my S500.

I lost track of this thread,  last page i read was page 354,  is there any other model of NCT HP/IEM worth buying?
i dont have time to read 200+ pages
biggrin.gif

Thanks!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back