The JVC HA-S500 thread.
Jun 3, 2013 at 6:44 AM Post #6,676 of 8,352
Honestly, I'm more than happy with the stock pads, although they did hurt my ears at first. You just have to give 'em time to adjust to your ears' shape and then they won't be a problem anymore.

Jun 3, 2013 at 6:57 AM Post #6,678 of 8,352
Quote:
Hi guys,

A few beginner questions if I may. I've just bought a pair of these based on the general gist/vibe I was getting from this thread about the quality of them.

I'll be plugging these into my iphone 5 for use on the daily commute.

- Would I get much benefit from a portable amp, say a FiiO E7? I'd rather not have to carry around an amp but I understand they can greatly enhance the sound in some situations. 

- I'm reading that people are replacing the pads on these for different soundstage / bass config's. Is there a best combo that I've missed here (rather than going back through 400 pages!)? Any step by step guides for someone that doesn't know what they are doing?

Thank you so much in advance. 

The biggest advantage of an amp (such as the E07K for instance) is that you are able to ad and decrease bass and treble quantity to your liking without sacrificing quality. When I listen to EDM I like to ad a few db's of bass and treble to fun things up a bit! Regarding driving power, the s500's do not need an amp.

Jun 3, 2013 at 7:00 AM Post #6,679 of 8,352
WS55 pads all the way.

With C&C BH amp.

The only way to fly. 
size]

Jun 3, 2013 at 7:24 AM Post #6,680 of 8,352
Quote:
The biggest advantage of an amp (such as the E07K for instance) is that you are able to add and decrease bass and treble quantity to your liking without sacrificing quality. 

I  can do that without an amp. 
wink.gif
 uncle jones could install one of the many EQ apps on the iPhone and accomplish the same thing.
 I've got a 10-band parametric EQ on my four rockboxed players, and on my Cowon player I have a customized S500 setting saved. 
smile_phones.gif

Jun 3, 2013 at 8:04 AM Post #6,681 of 8,352
Quote:
I  can do that without an amp. 
wink.gif
 uncle jones could install one of the many EQ apps on the iPhone and accomplish the same thing.
 I've got a 10-band parametric EQ on my four rockboxed players, and on my Cowon player I have a customized S500 setting saved. 
smile_phones.gif

I have never gotten the same quality/quantity EQ result from using a parametric EQ on a DAP that I get from using a bass/treble setting on an external amp.

Jun 6, 2013 at 10:07 PM Post #6,683 of 8,352
Quote:
I personally am more than satisfied with these using the treble booster on my iPod.

Yuck....iPod EQ settings are horrible. I don't remember what mod you performed on your S500s, but out of curiosity now, I am charging up my one iPod that is not running Rockbox, and I am going to try it with the S500s and that treble booster and see what that combination sounds like to me.

Jun 7, 2013 at 1:28 AM Post #6,684 of 8,352
With the nano 3rd Gen's Treble Booster on and the Made in Germany box set playing Mein Teil...

It sounds like Till is pushing nails into my ears...

"Denn du bist, was du isst
und ihr wisst, was es ist
Es ist mein teil, nein
Mein teil, nein
Da das ist mein teil, nein
Mein teil, nein"

Just nasty, way too sharp for me, there must be a lot of modification to get Treble Boost to sound good...
beerchug.gif

Jun 7, 2013 at 1:55 AM Post #6,685 of 8,352
Quote:
I personally am more than satisfied with these using the treble booster on my iPod.

Quote:
Yuck....iPod EQ settings are horrible. I don't remember what mod you performed on your S500s, but out of curiosity now, I am charging up my one iPod that is not running Rockbox, and I am going to try it with the S500s and that treble booster and see what that combination sounds like to me.

Quote:
With the nano 3rd Gen's Treble Booster on and the Made in Germany box set playing Mein Teil...

It sounds like Till is pushing nails into my ears...

"Denn du bist, was du isst
und ihr wisst, was es ist
Es ist mein teil, nein
Mein teil, nein
Da das ist mein teil, nein
Mein teil, nein"

Just nasty, way too sharp for me, there must be a lot of modification to get Treble Boost to sound good...
beerchug.gif

OK, so with the CF-mod Mini 2G, the treble booster brings out something I've never hear before in the S500......piercing,sharp highs, and worst of all,  sibilance. 
eek.gif

So yeah, I'd hate to imagine what wburton's S500 would sound like without the treble booster.....

Jun 7, 2013 at 9:08 AM Post #6,689 of 8,352
I am planning on buying those, are they surely really good for music?
do they have the right cable to my computer?  to my guitar amplifier?
Can I post the ebay page and u tell me what cables does it come with?

Jun 7, 2013 at 9:12 AM Post #6,690 of 8,352
So I decided to take all of the modifications off my S500s today (HM5 pads plus stuffed stock pads). I'm actually starting to like the stock pads alone a little better since the mids are little more present and the bass of course. Although I miss the soundstage the HM5 pads brought out, I may have to stick to stock pads for a bit! By the way, what do the WS55 pads do to the sound? Just thought I'd ask. I've read some pages, but i can't seem to find a post describing the changes. I probably haven't looked enough, but it's hard to look through so many pages! 
beyersmile.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back