The JVC HA-S500 thread.
Apr 23, 2013 at 8:36 AM Post #5,972 of 8,352
Quote:
Don't worry folks, burning in is burning in. As long as the drivers are continuously driving then it is already good. Drop by bassdrive.com for a 24/7 streaming bassy tracks. Or white noise, or pink noise. Anything will do. Seriously, like, you can even put Justin Bieber on loop if you want to. As long as it's driving, it's good.

Just remember to set the volume level just above your comfortable listening level.

confused_face.gif
blink.gif
eek.gif

Apr 23, 2013 at 9:08 AM Post #5,973 of 8,352
Don't worry folks, burning in is burning in. As long as the drivers are continuously driving then it is already good. Drop by bassdrive.com for a 24/7 streaming bassy tracks. Or white noise, or pink noise. Anything will do. Seriously, like, you can even put Justin Bieber on loop if you want to. As long as it's driving, it's good.

Just remember to set the volume level just above your comfortable listening level.

I question this. Seems to me that at least part of what you want burn-in for if it's valid at all is to loosen driver extension. So it seems to me like your source should have some percussive bass. Nothing scientific here. Just jumping to some pre-Socratic conclusions. :wink:

Apr 23, 2013 at 9:30 AM Post #5,975 of 8,352
Quote:
I question this. Seems to me that at least part of what you want burn-in for if it's valid at all is to loosen driver extension. So it seems to me like your source should have some percussive bass. Nothing scientific here. Just jumping to some pre-Socratic conclusions.
wink.gif

Sure you can question all you want. 

Percussive bass or smooth string instruments, the amplitude of the soundwave is still the same. What's varying is frequency. If you put Mozart on loop at 60db and Skrillex on loop at 60db and Justin Bieber on loop at 60db, they're all the same.

Apr 23, 2013 at 11:39 AM Post #5,976 of 8,352
Best friends
biggrin.gif

Apr 23, 2013 at 11:42 AM Post #5,977 of 8,352
Quote:
Sure you can question all you want. 

Percussive bass or smooth string instruments, the amplitude of the soundwave is still the same. What's varying is frequency. If you put Mozart on loop at 60db and Skrillex on loop at 60db and Justin Bieber on loop at 60db, they're all the same.

Of course, but that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about physical extension of the driver. A bass drum beat will cause a speaker to extend in a way that a help out violin note will not. Or do headphones not behave the same was as speakers in that sense?

Apr 23, 2013 at 12:12 PM Post #5,978 of 8,352
I just bought the Sennheiser HD5-1 II Adidas pads for my HA-S500, which is in the mail:

http://www.custom-cable.co.uk/official-sennheiser-hd25-1-ii-by-adidas-originals-replacement-earpads-blue.html

Will this make the bass less punchy? Will these make the headphones sound even better and be more comfortable?

Any help is appreciated. 

Search the thread mate, there have been many discussions about these pads.

I'm looking forward to putting the ATH WS55 pads on mine, AT spares should have sent them out to me today!

Exciting times ahead. Maybe they will make me put down my SoundMAGIC E10s lol

Apr 23, 2013 at 12:59 PM Post #5,980 of 8,352
Has anyone had any issues with the funky headband on these? Looks like it would put undue pressure on the front side...

On a related note, if someone has a minute, could they measure the diameter of the cups where the headband attaches...would be nice to know for looking at alternatives...

Apr 23, 2013 at 4:15 PM Post #5,981 of 8,352
I just bought a pair of the S500's... and only as I was at the check-out did I notice that they are very much not the same spec-wise as what the OP was describing and praising....
Mine are:
30mm Neodymium drivers.
10Hz-24,00Hz
112dB/1mW
32 ohm

Are these as good as the pair praised in the original post for this thread? Is it worth taking them out of the box? I have 14 days to return them, but I'm not sure about their open-box return policy...

I'm coming from an old set of $30 skullcandy earbuds, and also have a Corsair Vengeance 2000 gaming headset at home (20Hz-20 kHz).

Are these (seeing as they are not the ones I thought they were) worth the $64 I paid?

Can I get something else comparable at this price range that might be better than the 'type' of S500s I just got?

Apr 23, 2013 at 4:26 PM Post #5,982 of 8,352
Quote:
I just bought a pair of the S500's... and only as I was at the check-out did I notice that they are very much not the same spec-wise as what the OP was describing and praising....
Mine are:
30mm Neodymium drivers.
10Hz-24,00Hz
112dB/1mW
32 ohm

Are these as good as the pair praised in the original post for this thread? Is it worth taking them out of the box? I have 14 days to return them, but I'm not sure about their open-box return policy...

I'm coming from an old set of $30 skullcandy earbuds, and also have a Corsair Vengeance 2000 gaming headset at home (20Hz-20 kHz).

Are these (seeing as they are not the ones I thought they were) worth the $64 I paid?

Can I get something else comparable at this price range that might be better than the 'type' of S500s I just got?

Looks like the ones you just bought are these....

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/891188-REG/JVC_ha_sr500_w_On_Ear_Headband_Headphones.html

and they are not the same. If you paid $64 for them you paid too much.....notice the price in that link? 
wink.gif

Apr 23, 2013 at 4:30 PM Post #5,983 of 8,352
Eww.... thanks for the heads up - I will be returning them on my way home today.

Stupid 'R' in the model number  <.<

Do the actual S500s fold up nicely? Is it worth it to order them from amazon or something and grab some crappy earbuds for the next few days?
Are they as awesome as the first post made them sound...?

(and thank you for such a fast reply :) )

How do these compare to the Koss Porta-Pros?

Apr 23, 2013 at 5:00 PM Post #5,984 of 8,352
Quote:
Eww.... thanks for the heads up - I will be returning them on my way home today.

Stupid 'R' in the model number  <.<

Do the actual S500s fold up nicely? Is it worth it to order them from amazon or something and grab some crappy earbuds for the next few days?
Are they as awesome as the first post made them sound...?

(and thank you for such a fast reply :) )

How do these compare to the Koss Porta-Pros?

The real ones do fold up nice and small, and they sound light-years better than Porta-Pros.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back