The JVC HA-S500 thread.
Oct 29, 2012 at 8:43 PM Post #2,672 of 8,352
Quote:

With the S500 velour pads + HM5 pads you will get the best sound yet.......and you won't believe the layering/soundstage.....you will need to listen to well recorded music, because it will not colour poorly recorded music....very revealing!

How many hours of burning in have you put into your S500? Last night I went to a friend's house and tested his Denon D5k paired with a Hifiman EF2A tubeamp. It sounded nice, details were great, just a shame he didn't have the flac files of the songs i liked. I'm totally hooked by you and cyloh for the HM5 pads.

Oct 29, 2012 at 8:52 PM Post #2,673 of 8,352
Quote:

With the S500 velour pads + HM5 pads you will get the best sound yet.......and you won't believe the layering/soundstage.....you will need to listen to well recorded music, because it will not colour poorly recorded music....very revealing!

Great. The only fly in the ointment is the fact ANY can requiring pads does react differently with each person's ears - just finished watching movie Camille ( something to unwind/chill out prior to zzzzzz ) -
and the sounds of thunder and Niagara Falls was that freakin' believable it must be marriage made in H-V-N between my ears//pinnas and HA-M750(modified)s. Or the EQ of the movie was just right - but very similar is happening on most musical cds , so ...

I find overall character of HA-M750modifieds darker than neutral, but far from muffled or dull. They lack the vividness and detail of HA-S500 in the treble, but have rock solid extended bass and very good soundstage.  Hope you understand what I am hoping to achieve by transplanting.

I will wait till my HM5 pads arrive - and if things improve to at least not too much behind to HA-M750modifieds as far as soundstage is concerned, I might not perform the transplant. Otherwise - mercylessly. 

But it is, all things considered, worth about one or two of your Mullards in question here - that much fun for comparatively so little sounds like pretty good deal to me.

One more question - is that soundstage achieved au naturel or with crossfeed(s) from jRiver ? I was using Jan Meier's Portable Amp Kit with its crossfeed ( because I need portable crossfeed when needed, because I am analogsurviver preferably achieved without DSP  - even at home, where I could use computer).

Oct 29, 2012 at 10:52 PM Post #2,674 of 8,352
Quote:
How many hours of burning in have you put into your S500? Last night I went to a friend's house and tested his Denon D5k paired with a Hifiman EF2A tubeamp. It sounded nice, details were great, just a shame he didn't have the flac files of the songs i liked. I'm totally hooked by you and cyloh for the HM5 pads.

I quit keeping track at 800 hours!

Oct 29, 2012 at 10:58 PM Post #2,675 of 8,352
Quote:
One more question - is that soundstage achieved au naturel or with crossfeed(s) from jRiver ? I was using Jan Meier's Portable Amp Kit with its crossfeed ( because I need portable crossfeed when needed, because I am analogsurviver preferably achieved without DSP  - even at home, where I could use computer).

Soundstage with a lower crossfeed setting than I have been using with jRiver!  Standard crossfeed is what I am currently using, there are three settings above standard, subtle below, and off.  Crossfeed makes the sound less fatiguing, soundstake is very good with it off!

Oct 29, 2012 at 11:10 PM Post #2,676 of 8,352
So how do you super pimp your clip? Simple. Throw it on one of these Bravo Ocean Amps. This don't sound like just a Clip anymore.Lol.

Sounds like A Full :basshead:

How do you like the Bravo Ocean amp with the HA-S500, and the Monoprice 8320. Also, does it sound good out of a Clip+?

Oct 30, 2012 at 12:19 AM Post #2,677 of 8,352
Cannot seem to see any pics of people with the hm5 pads on their s500's.  As I already have a HM5 that came with an extra pair of pads, I am thinking that the s500's might be worth getting now.  However, has anyone tried the stock pads with the hm5 pads?  Or am I confusing this....are people actually using two sets of pads on the s500's to make them circumaural?

Oct 30, 2012 at 1:02 AM Post #2,679 of 8,352
Quote:
Has anybody tried this one??
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Class-Hybrid-Tube-Headphone-Amplifier-6922EH-Pre-AMP-/110661860034?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19c3f5fac2

I own one of those, I was kind of abusive with it, so it only decently works.

Oct 30, 2012 at 1:17 AM Post #2,680 of 8,352
Quote:
How do you like the Bravo Ocean amp with the HA-S500, and the Monoprice 8320. Also, does it sound good out of a Clip+?

This little bravo amp is amazing. It sounds great with not only the clip but absolutely blew my mind with my Sony Z1060 hooked up to it. I did a head to head comparison with my Sony DAP and Bravo amp against my laptop hooked up with my Fire Phoenix which has a very nice sound chip in it. The sound was not too far off. Which surprised me. I have better synergy using my laptop and Fire Phoenix using the HA-S500.  It sounds great with my clip and bravo amp too. But I will have to give the edge to the DAC. Laptop combo. The bravo amp just rules with earphones for some reason. The new MH1C is unbelievable using the bravo amp

This pic here

By the way. If you guys don't know about these little $20 Sony MH1C. These are blowing the collective minds of headfiers. I strongly suggest you all check out a pair for your smartphones as they have a mic But most importantly. Because they sound freaking amazing. Sorry haven't tested out the Mp8320 but I have a feeling those will sound great on these. MP8320 sound great amped with even my E11.

Oct 30, 2012 at 2:36 AM Post #2,681 of 8,352
Quote:

This little bravo amp is amazing. It sounds great with not only the clip but absolutely blew my mind with my Sony Z1060 hooked up to it. I did a head to head comparison with my Sony DAP and Bravo amp against my laptop hooked up with my Fire Phoenix which has a very nice sound chip in it. The sound was not too far off. Which surprised me. I have better synergy using my laptop and Fire Phoenix using the HA-S500.  It sounds great with my clip and bravo amp too. But I will have to give the edge to the DAC. Laptop combo. The bravo amp just rules with earphones for some reason. The new MH1C is unbelievable using the bravo amp

This pic here

By the way. If you guys don't know about these little $20 Sony MH1C. These are blowing the collective minds of headfiers. I strongly suggest you all check out a pair for your smartphones as they have a mic But most importantly. Because they sound freaking amazing. Sorry haven't tested out the Mp8320 but I have a feeling those will sound great on these. MP8320 sound great amped with even my E11.

Where would you recommend buying these? I have a pair of Sonys that I love so I definitely wanna check these out.

Oct 30, 2012 at 11:33 AM Post #2,684 of 8,352
Hi guys, can anyone recommend me a good ebay seller for the s500? 

I actually used the "Made in japan online store" on amazon. They shipped the same day and they use expressmail. Detailed tracking for the whole way from japan to us. Took 3 days from order date to make it to US customs. Customs took their time but I had them in a week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back