The JVC FX850..Woodie perfection?. (A review)
Dec 21, 2014 at 7:52 PM Post #2,373 of 3,535
  im having trouble with tenso... i had the fx750 sent to them, tracking confirmed its arrival, and have not heard from them. It arrived on the 15th, and since i sent them the tracking they have not gotten back to me.

...im a bit lost here

Did you go to my page section and see of there is any pending international shipments?

You have to get to that page and pay the fees before they ship it to you.

Dec 21, 2014 at 7:56 PM Post #2,374 of 3,535

Did you go to my page section and see of there is any pending international shipments?

You have to get to that page and pay the fees before they ship it to you.

yea, there is nothing there. I verified my address, gave them enough time to process it, but nothing.
I sent them the tracking info on thursday, and a reminder email today knowing they get back on sunday monday.

Dec 23, 2014 at 11:16 AM Post #2,377 of 3,535
i was suffering from some ear fatigue listening to a bright can...
then i switched to the fx850 ...and a cuppa coffee,
oooh that sound from this iem is so sooothing, like healing balm..
even though there is bass punch to some of the music,
but they are textured n non fatiguing ...
makes me appreciate this iem much much better...it is a treasure.

Dec 23, 2014 at 12:50 PM Post #2,378 of 3,535

I feel the same way. Sometimes you find a sound signature that just does it for you. I am likng my FidueA83 as well but the tone is special in the FX850

Dec 23, 2014 at 3:28 PM Post #2,379 of 3,535
  has anyone tried this... like using the cable of 1100 and swap it with the fx850 cable? Would like to know the effects.

The FX1100 and FX850 cable (as well as a no-name $10 cable I got from eBay) sound exactly the same to me.

Apart from sound, I feel that the fabric-covered FX1100 cable is a step down from the FX850 cable in quality, because it's less supple and more prone to kinking.

Dec 23, 2014 at 4:32 PM Post #2,380 of 3,535
:eek:

:eek: :eek:

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Let's just say, I'm much too curious and impatient to wait for the potential blessings of burn-in. :wink:

Here's what I tried today, I donated two small hybrid tips to science tinkering, basically ripped their stem off in order to build some "panties" for the FX1100's backside. Stuffing these "panties" with foam of varying density and listening to the changes in sound turned out to be quite an interesting experiment. Higher foam density means more resistance to the driver's rear side, and as a result mid-upper bass levels and warmth decrease and overall sound signature becomes significantly clearer. My personal "optimum" signature required pretty high density foam, which almost amounts to blocking of the rear vent.

Did something similar when I got e 850. Used a iPhone button sticker to paste over e rear vent. Effect is similar to that of changing a ported sub to a close box sub. Bass less boomy n warmth reduced. Now I use a triple flange trimmed down to a double flange leaving e tube uncut. Achieve same effect n a better seal.
Unsolicited and amateurish 2c on tuning changes vs. the FX850: it's impossible for my ears to detect whether this is might be a new driver variant. But I'd guess that JVC revised the front side damping to add refinement in the upper mids and highs. Sound quality in this range is a sizable step up from the FX850 and particularly noticeable after attenuation of the bass range. However, I'll go out on a limb and say they didn't change much (or anything) about rear airflow. Whether or not this was an intentional tuning choice, or if they just didn't care for increased bass warmth over the older model can only be speculated upon... but my test result suggests that the FX1100's clarity and tonal balance benefit a lot from added back side damping.

Dec 23, 2014 at 9:23 PM Post #2,381 of 3,535
Doesn't the FX1100 have more tip size options?  I saw a pic and  it looked like it had 5 sizes.  I am in between a M and L for the fx850 and if there's a tip in between that size, I'd surely buy it and hope it solves my fit issues.   I also am wondering which full size set of cans sound most like the fx850.  

Dec 23, 2014 at 9:40 PM Post #2,382 of 3,535

funny e text typed all gone missing.

anyway I tried e same method to block e rear port w a iPhone button sticker. Tighter bass w less warmth. But have since stick to a triple flange trimmed down to diuble w e tube still in tack. Can get same results plus a tighter fit.

Dec 23, 2014 at 10:10 PM Post #2,383 of 3,535
  Doesn't the FX1100 have more tip size options?  I saw a pic and  it looked like it had 5 sizes.  I am in between a M and L for the fx850 and if there's a tip in between that size, I'd surely buy it and hope it solves my fit issues.   I also am wondering which full size set of cans sound most like the fx850.  

There are about a quadrillion tips that will fit on the 850.  I`m currently alternating between Spinfits and some semi-transuscent, spiral designed silicons I found in a tip grab-bag at my local headphone shop.  I suggest trying a few million different tips, to find the perfect situation.   I also use different tips in L and R ears.  

Dec 23, 2014 at 10:13 PM Post #2,384 of 3,535

I`m traveling for the next few weeks, and have 2 phones with me, both 2.5 balanced out of AK120ii:  850 and Beyer T5P.  The T5P is truly awesome, for it`s sound, comfort and isolation.  But man, when i get into a quite hotel room and switch to the 850, it`s chocolate-waterfall time. . . .   

Dec 24, 2014 at 12:03 AM Post #2,385 of 3,535

There are about a quadrillion tips that will fit on the 850.  I`m currently alternating between Spinfits and some semi-transuscent, spiral designed silicons I found in a tip grab-bag at my local headphone shop.  I suggest trying a few million different tips, to find the perfect situation.   I also use different tips in L and R ears.  

I think he's specifically looking for the spiral dot tips that comes with the 1100's.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back