The JVC FX850..Woodie perfection?. (A review)
Dec 15, 2014 at 4:20 PM Post #2,326 of 3,535
I vaguely remember noting, and I think mentioning to you, hearing slight differences in the upper registers vs stock, no so much in presence, which could be explained by attenuated bass, but the character of the treble. Fascinating stuff.

I do remember you mentioning treble differences and Rin's measurements actually hint at slight variations. Probably too slight for this aging ears to notice, but I'm glad I still notice the differences in bass.
tongue.gif

Bottom-line is if it works for one's ears (which is why first-hand audition experience's so important for me), "f * * k" science and its douchebaggery logic, just sit back and enjoy the music as nature has intended, ...

While my own stance on science is a little less harsh than yours
wink.gif
, I'm indeed all for first-hand audition experiences. So here's an idea, most likely I'll do a short FX1100 loan tour among trusted fellow members early next year... how about you hop on, chip in a decent cable of your choice and provide people with a first-hand audition experience of your cable's improvements over the stock cable?

Dec 15, 2014 at 7:50 PM Post #2,327 of 3,535
... how about you . . .provide people with a first-hand audition experience of your cable's improvements over the stock cable?

that seems much too logical. . or should I say ********* logical?

Dec 15, 2014 at 8:13 PM Post #2,328 of 3,535
I do remember you mentioning treble differences and Rin's measurements actually hint at slight variations. Probably too slight for this aging ears to notice, but I'm glad I still notice the differences in bass. :p

While my own stance on science is a little less harsh than yours :wink: , I'm indeed all for first-hand audition experiences. So here's an idea, most likely I'll do a short FX1100 loan tour among trusted fellow members early next year... how about you hop on, chip in a decent cable of your choice and provide people with a first-hand audition experience of your cable's improvements over the stock cable?

I think a custom title along the lines of "Your move." Would be juuuust right. :D

Dec 15, 2014 at 11:30 PM Post #2,329 of 3,535
While my own stance on science is a little less harsh than yours :wink: , I'm indeed all for first-hand audition experiences. So here's an idea, most likely I'll do a short FX1100 loan tour among trusted fellow members early next year... how about you hop on, chip in a decent cable of your choice and provide people with a first-hand audition experience of your cable's improvements over the stock cable?

A trip to Singapore would be great! Me, Surge and Leo (possibly more who are lurking around in the darkness) are all from Singapore. I figure it would be great for the few of us to chill over a cuppa joe while we all treat ourselves to the combined collection of DAPs and etc (that is if we have a lot to share)

[/quote]
... how about you . . .provide people with a first-hand audition experience of your cable's improvements over the stock cable?

that seems much too logical. . or should I say ********* logical?

Haha as much as I want to, should I provide it to you that would always becomes a 'second-person' perception of it. I also agree with screwing all the logical gizmos. Just like how I find the original Crystal Picollino Cable an over-priced piece of gimmick. :p

Dec 15, 2014 at 11:50 PM Post #2,330 of 3,535
A trip to Singapore would be great! Me, Surge and Leo (possibly more who are lurking around in the darkness) are all from Singapore. I figure it would be great for the few of us to chill over a cuppa joe while we all treat ourselves to the combined collection of DAPs and etc (that is if we have a lot to share)

Haha as much as I want to, should I provide it to you that would always becomes a 'second-person' perception of it. I also agree with screwing all the logical gizmos. Just like how I find the original Crystal Picollino Cable an over-priced piece of gimmick. :p

... ... ... Then how could you possibly, in good conscience, make your previous recommendation of trying a cable if you don't believe that someone else can hear what you can hear?

Dec 16, 2014 at 1:42 AM Post #2,331 of 3,535
... ... ... Then how could you possibly, in good conscience, make your previous recommendation of trying a cable if you don't believe that someone else can hear what you can hear?

1) Because I have no conscience, I am a big badass! Wahahaha! *Evil Laugh*

2) Oh well not that I would totally dismiss about people hearing what I am hearing, usually (as I did with this one) I would have different people around me (with or without capable ears; sound and unsound mind) to hear them and assess how reliable enough it is to let people know.

I still stand by the opinion that people should try them out themselves if possible, I can give my own 2 cents and suggestions to help narrow down what they would want to try (if accessible for them)

This comes from my previous experience of 2 years and a half of working in Singapore's largest audio boutique store - the spectrum of customer types gets wider and more interesting than one would imagine. :deadhorse:

Dec 16, 2014 at 5:57 AM Post #2,332 of 3,535

1) Because I have no conscience, I am a big badass! Wahahaha! *Evil Laugh*

2) Oh well not that I would totally dismiss about people hearing what I am hearing, usually (as I did with this one) I would have different people around me (with or without capable ears; sound and unsound mind) to hear them and assess how reliable enough it is to let people know.

I still stand by the opinion that people should try them out themselves if possible, I can give my own 2 cents and suggestions to help narrow down what they would want to try (if accessible for them)

This comes from my previous experience of 2 years and a half of working in Singapore's largest audio boutique store - the spectrum of customer types gets wider and more interesting than one would imagine. 

Wait... first you're recommending certain boutique cables to attenuate the JVC's bass. Then, when being met with skepticism, you declare you prefer first-hand audition experience over science's douchebaggery logic. Then, when asked to chip in one of these cables for a loan tour to let people have a first-hand audition experience, you argue that they won't hear the same as you do. Then, when being called out on this odd kind of logic, you reply that you're a badass without conscience who works for an audio boutique store.

Which leaves me rather puzzled and wondering whether you take commercial interest in recommending these cables, or if you're just a very strange kind of guy.

Dec 16, 2014 at 7:05 AM Post #2,333 of 3,535
Wait... first you're recommending certain boutique cables to attenuate the JVC's bass. Then, when being met with skepticism, you declare you prefer first-hand audition experience over science's douchebaggery logic. Then, when asked to chip in one of these cables for a loan tour to let people have a first-hand audition experience, you argue that they won't hear the same as you do. Then, when being called out on this odd kind of logic, you reply that you're a badass without conscience who works for an audio boutique store.

Which leaves me rather puzzled and wondering whether you take commercial interest in recommending these cables, or if you're just a very strange kind of guy.

1) Haha btw its "used to" work for the shop.

2) I am actually okay with chipping in the cable, I didn't said anything about not being cool with the great idea of chipping in on the bandwagon of audio sharing.

3) "They won't hear the same as I do" : Not necessary a won't just that I do not want to assume everyone hears the same thing, because everyone has different gear and some reacts to mental placebo (I probably do, since it flatly defies your theory about 850's linear impedance)

4) I would need to check with Surge and Leo when they are free first since it would be more convenient to meet up with them and let them kickstart the audition spree, its going to be a long trip once it exits the shores of the tiny island to USA etc.

5) Boutique cables ain't always better, I can imagine some people preferring the Shure Stock Cable which I felt accentuates the smooth tone of the 850s over a costly TWag and I won't consider my humble cable a boutique cable (P.S. Brands such as Cardas / Whiplash / Wagnus etc are the ones that I would term it as a boutique cable brand.)

6) I only have the Fiio SPC and the 93spec, if Leo is okay with chipping in his Hydra Cable which I have yet to try it would be great!

7) If only anyone can chip in a decent balanced amp for the tour, heard great impressions about them and I would be raring to try them out in the much-loved balanced setup.

(P.S. I AM quite the oddball, so you might need to get used to it. LOL!)

Just let me know when and where you want to kickstart the tour, before that we just have to see when our Mr Surge and Mr Leo is free for a personal meet-up, I wanna try Leo's Hydra Cable and his Rocoo Player with my IEMs too!

Dec 16, 2014 at 7:35 AM Post #2,334 of 3,535
^ Thanks for clarifying, that makes a lot more sense to me.

No idea about criteria for a boutique cable, I just googled the one you use with your FX850 (93spec Premium Silver from your sig) and saw it costs $230.

Dec 16, 2014 at 8:11 AM Post #2,335 of 3,535
^ Thanks for clarifying, that makes a lot more sense to me.

No idea about criteria for a boutique cable, I just googled the one you use with your FX850 (93spec Premium Silver from your sig) and saw it costs $230.

I definitely won call mine a boutique cable lol! My idea of Boutique cable usually carries a price tag heftier than mine and suffers a lot from the law of diminishing returns. I once told a friend of mine that I didn't felt any much difference between his Crystal Picollino Cable from Jaben and his stock Shure Cable on his SE535LTD Red IEM, in fact I felt soundstaging was a little shorter and smallish on the CP Cable which costs more than a grand.. An important experience and reminder to me that costlier cable doesn't necessary sounds better.

Several months later he had that cable up in the WTS section of a local forum. :p

Dec 17, 2014 at 4:11 AM Post #2,337 of 3,535
It looks like the FX1100 has more variety of sizes for the tips.  I never had a great fit with my FX850 so maybe I have to try the new tip sizes and see if I can get a fit that I like.  I'm tempted to buy the fx1100 a few months from now when the price drops, but I'm also tempted to buy the noble k10 as I have never had a ciem before and have wanted one for some time.  But I love and trust jvc for the sound signature.  I know it's a bit bass heavy for some but I like it.

Dec 17, 2014 at 6:36 AM Post #2,338 of 3,535
It looks like the FX1100 has more variety of sizes for the tips.  I never had a great fit with my FX850 so maybe I have to try the new tip sizes and see if I can get a fit that I like.  I'm tempted to buy the fx1100 a few months from now when the price drops, but I'm also tempted to buy the noble k10 as I have never had a ciem before and have wanted one for some time.  But I love and trust jvc for the sound signature.  I know it's a bit bass heavy for some but I like it.

Imo, if you like warm and very dynamic Jvc sound, I doubt you will like k10. I never heard it, but I have Roxanne and people saying the sound of these is similar.
It doesn't have this warmness of Jvc. Maybe they are technically better, but not musically.

Dec 17, 2014 at 1:39 PM Post #2,339 of 3,535
Can anyone please recommend a good mmcx replacement cable with iphone mic and controls for the FX850? I was reading the westone ones are a loose fit. Anyone else using these with their phone?

Thanks.

Dec 17, 2014 at 9:37 PM Post #2,340 of 3,535
Can anyone please recommend a good mmcx replacement cable with iphone mic and controls for the FX850? I was reading the westone ones are a loose fit. Anyone else using these with their phone?

Thanks.

I am the one that posted about the loose fit with the Westone cable and fx850. I will confirm that the connection on the right side is loose (but usable), where as the left is a bit tighter. Neither is as tight as the stock cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back