The JVC FX850..Woodie perfection?. (A review)
Dec 3, 2014 at 7:56 PM Post #2,251 of 3,535
Ordered via Amazon 11/26. Received in Central Texas today (12/3). Very surprised at the speed coming from Japan.

Initial tangible impressions: Elegant packaging and travel case. Gorgeous wood, design and construction. HEAVY! Using larger foam tips because I seem to be between the large and medium silicone tips.

VERY brief impressions out-of-the-box and plugged into my Objective2/ODAC combo:

When compared to Etymotic hf3, the JVCs pack a TON more bass and mids to go with very nice highs. It tilts to the bass, but it is snappy and deep bass -- not flabby. Soundstage is surprisingly wide for IEMs, but I feel like I’m sitting front row. Instrument and vocal separation is surprisingly good.

Other than treble and comfort, the 850s bury the hf3 across the board. I'm shocked.

When compared to my Lawton Audio-modded, self-recabled Denon AH-D5000, the full-size headphones are more refined. It’s more of a night at the symphony vs. an adult rock concert. The modded Denon sound is more balanced across treble, mids and bass. Soundstage is even wider, and I feel like i’m sitting a few rows back.

Overall, I can immediately tell that the 850s are going to be fun fun fun. Can't wait to listen more.

I have the Westone iPhone cable/mic arriving tomorrow. While I hope they work with the JVCs, I doubt these will become my mobile earphones. Too heavy, less isolating and just overkill listening to podcasts at Chipotle.
wink.gif

3243bf2349287ca47dc689d0da7de43e.jpg

It is one of the few iem's that gave me the WOW factor out of the box such as you experienced. The soundstage and separation have bested some of the full size cans I have had.

Dec 3, 2014 at 9:00 PM Post #2,254 of 3,535
The Westone cable+mic showed up ahead of schedule, too. Woot!!

I can confirm that the Westone cables produce sound with the FX850, the remote controls work with my iPhone 6, and the microphone works with calls.

The Westone mmcx connections seem a bit looser than with the stock cable. One side popped off when I used the cable to pull the 850 unit out of the travel case.

On my way home, I swung by a Radio Shack to see if they had any Comply foam tips. They only had the Active ones, and I reluctantly bought a pack for $10. Next to them were three packs of silicone tips. The brand was unfamiliar (perhaps a generic Radio Shack brand?), but the hole diameter seemed to match the 850 bore. They were only $5.

As they were cheaper and in any easier to open package, I tried the silicone ones first. Surprisingly, they are just a tad bigger than the stock 850 medium silicones. I have a better fit and slightly better isolation with these odd-brand tips. I'm likely to return the Complys.

Dec 3, 2014 at 9:07 PM Post #2,255 of 3,535
The Westone cable+mic showed up ahead of schedule, too. Woot!!

I can confirm that the Westone cables produce sound with the FX850, the remote controls work with my iPhone 6, and the microphone works with calls.

The Westone mmcx connections seem a bit looser than with the stock cable. One side popped off when I used the cable to pull the 850 unit out of the travel case.

On my way home, I swung by a Radio Shack to see if they had any Comply foam tips. They only had the Active ones, and I reluctantly bought a pack for $10. Next to them were three packs of silicone tips. The brand was unfamiliar (perhaps a generic Radio Shack brand?), but the hole diameter seemed to match the 850 bore. They were only $5.

As they were cheaper and in any easier to open package, I tried the silicone ones first. Surprisingly, they are just a tad bigger than the stock 850 medium silicones. I have a better fit and slightly better isolation with these odd-brand tips. I'm likely to return the Complys.

Did you try the Large included silicon tips?  I saw those tips there as well and almost nibbled too. The Radio Shack Comply's were only smaller size not large so I couldn't have used them. I actually like the stock tips...

Dec 4, 2014 at 1:11 AM Post #2,256 of 3,535
I think what causes the wow is the price performance ratio. I did not expect them to sound so good for $ 275. If I had heard them without knowing the price , I would have guessed that they would cost around $ 500 (atleast) & bit higher wouldn't have surprised me.

Dec 4, 2014 at 11:01 AM Post #2,258 of 3,535

Did you try the Large included silicon tips?  I saw those tips there as well and almost nibbled too. The Radio Shack Comply's were only smaller size not large so I couldn't have used them. I actually like the stock tips...

I did try the large stock silicone tips. It definitely created a more solid seal in my ears, but they started to hurt after awhile.

I think it's like the Three Bears:
- The stock medium silicone tips were just a bit too small.
- The stock large were too big.
- The AUVIO medium silicone tips (from Radio Shack) seem just right. I'm sure we're talking a millimeter or 2 of difference*, but it seems to make a big difference in seal and comfort.

*Just noticed that the silicone used in the AUVIO tips is stiffer than the stock 850 ones. It's possible they are the same diameter (they look almost identical) as the stock ones and just compress less.

Dec 5, 2014 at 6:00 PM Post #2,260 of 3,535
Hi guys, I received these iems yesterday and only today I spent a long enough listening session through my hifi m8 (it's not the modified one, so isn't really the ideal), now the initial impression was of an average sound quality, but something happened: just out of curiosity I switched the m8 impedance (I usually don't touch it at all) from 1 ohm to 2 ohm and the difference was noticeable! Music opened up, before was kinda muffled and compressed, but with the increased impedance, it's now a little louder (? it shouldn't) and more exciting, layered and boosted, in particular bass and trebles. Anyone had the same experience? 
This is my first pair of "expensive" iems and I'm impressed by the build quality and the package but I'm more in love with the design than with the sound quality at the moment.

Dec 5, 2014 at 6:50 PM Post #2,261 of 3,535
  Hi guys, I received these iems yesterday and only today I spent a long enough listening session through my hifi m8 (it's not the modified one, so isn't really the ideal), now the initial impression was of an average sound quality, but something happened: just out of curiosity I switched the m8 impedance (I usually don't touch it at all) from 1 ohm to 2 ohm and the difference was noticeable! Music opened up, before was kinda muffled and compressed, but with the increased impedance, it's now a little louder (? it shouldn't) and more exciting, layered and boosted, in particular bass and trebles. Anyone had the same experience? 
This is my first pair of "expensive" iems and I'm impressed by the build quality and the package but I'm more in love with the design than with the sound quality at the moment.

For me, being able to appreciate the higher end gear is often knowing what to listen for, and having reference points.  I worked my way up the iem price ladder, until I got to the Shure SE846.  At that point, I thought I`d reached nirvana.  But when I heard the fx850, I sold the 846.  
I have 3 comments:
Allow your brain to adjust - `brain burn-in` is certainly real - you will begin to hear the extra qualities the fx850 brings.  Also, and this is critical, you have to refine your sources - what kind of files are you playing?  The fx850 is super detailed, revealing, way above its price-point, IMO.  So you need quality tracks.  Finally, for me, tips play a huge role in the SQ. 

Good luck and don`t worry - you did not waste your money. 

Dec 5, 2014 at 9:02 PM Post #2,262 of 3,535
Dec 5, 2014 at 9:22 PM Post #2,264 of 3,535
Dec 5, 2014 at 10:56 PM Post #2,265 of 3,535

For me, being able to appreciate the higher end gear is often knowing what to listen for, and having reference points.  I worked my way up the iem price ladder, until I got to the Shure SE846.  At that point, I thought I`d reached nirvana.  But when I heard the fx850, I sold the 846.  
I have 3 comments:
Allow your brain to adjust - `brain burn-in` is certainly real - you will begin to hear the extra qualities the fx850 brings.  Also, and this is critical, you have to refine your sources - what kind of files are you playing?  The fx850 is super detailed, revealing, way above its price-point, IMO.  So you need quality tracks.  Finally, for me, tips play a huge role in the SQ. 

Good luck and don`t worry - you did not waste your money. 

Well I usually play flac or cd rip I make myself, uncompressed. I have some trusty tracks I usually use to compare my gear as I wrote, I wasn't impressed since the change of impedance, or maybe I had to high expectations... but as you suggest I will let burn in these iems, I keep using a pair of tips of my previous set, they are pretty comfy but I must admit I never tried different kinds, maybe is the good time to start. One more question, I'm always afraid to break the connectors, what is the right procedure to disconnect the cables? Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back