The JVC FX850..Woodie perfection?. (A review)
Sep 8, 2014 at 8:05 PM Post #1,921 of 3,535
These are the best IEM I've ever owend, but I really don't like how they feel  because of the short insertion and the weight always makes it feel like it's ready to fall out.  And I'm in between a M and L and am always flipping between both hoping that I can settle on a size that feels good.  I almost want to go back to full sized cans, but I know that the sound of the fx850 is better than some headphones that I've owned. Even better than the beyerdynamic T1. I guess I do like the bass too much on these.

Just a small tip for you: Try to open your mouth (I am serious) albeit not too much, so long you can feel your cheekbone lowering and a gap opening up between your ears and the cheekbone.

You will notice FX850 would insert more and much secure than usual.

End result is a more secure fit and bass which is more taut and visceral.

This is also the logic behind why most Custom In-Ear Monitors demands an Open-Jaw Ear Impressions btw! =)

Sep 8, 2014 at 8:47 PM Post #1,922 of 3,535
Just a small tip for you: Try to open your mouth (I am serious) albeit not too much, so long you can feel your cheekbone lowering and a gap opening up between your ears and the cheekbone.

This is also the logic behind why most Custom In-Ear Monitors demands an Open-Jaw Ear Impressions btw! =)
damn man idk I almost feel like those spiral dot tips might pop off and get stuck in your earhole lol

I used to do this with my xba 3 and it worked great "those are Sony hybrids tho"

BTW jvc spiral dot tips work GREAT with xba 3

Sep 9, 2014 at 2:18 AM Post #1,924 of 3,535
I use the spiral dots on my DN2000 
cool.gif

Sep 10, 2014 at 6:32 PM Post #1,925 of 3,535

Here is the anatomical reason why:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temporomandibular_joint

Sep 10, 2014 at 8:02 PM Post #1,926 of 3,535

It does help a little.  I do notice it moving more and being out of position when I wear it over ears and I'm trying to get used to wearing it that way as I have a heavy custom cable coming my way.  (maybe not the best idea)  

Sep 11, 2014 at 2:49 AM Post #1,929 of 3,535

My canals are pretty big if I was to do that I'd loose seal :p. It's convenient though when I want to hear what someone has to say and not want to take my IEMs out I just do that or flex my ears to break the seal...

Sep 11, 2014 at 8:41 PM Post #1,931 of 3,535
ermmmm.....
audiotechnica w5000 comes closest to my experience.
u get a warm...enveloping ...massaging sound.
( get one from the resale mkt...make sure NO SCRATCHES , LOVELY WOODGRAINs...n buy NEW PADs :) 

Sep 13, 2014 at 1:00 AM Post #1,932 of 3,535
I come back to this thread every couple weeks to say how awesome these things are... After the FXZ200, I was pretty put off by JVC. But these things sound 98% of what I'm looking for an IEM without spending baller cash on customs. Plus I get to run them through my AudioGD 10.33, even unbalanced is wayyy too much power on low gain (3.3W @ 25ohms), but they really shine. Waiting on the Cayin C5 to fully utilize them. Then, maybe, a custom cable :wink:

Sep 13, 2014 at 2:13 AM Post #1,933 of 3,535
Coming from a Westone/UE background, these fx850's have completely exceeded any expectation I've had of IEM headphones. They are just so full, so spacious, and with such great bass and separation and (insert audio adjective). I am using them with the Alpha Design Labs (ADL ihp-35ML) cables, powered by the Naim Headline2 and Simaudio Moon 100D dac. 

When purchasing I compared them to its smaller sibling, the fx650, which was equally impressive in its own right. It did about 90% of what the 850 did, and I think anyone would be happy with the bass on the 650 as well. Definitely worth the money!

Sep 13, 2014 at 2:59 AM Post #1,934 of 3,535
I come back to this thread every couple weeks to say how awesome these things are... After the FXZ200, I was pretty put off by JVC. But these things sound 98% of what I'm looking for an IEM without spending baller cash on customs. Plus I get to run them through my AudioGD 10.33, even unbalanced is wayyy too much power on low gain (3.3W @ 25ohms), but they really shine. Waiting on the Cayin C5 to fully utilize them. Then, maybe, a custom cable :wink:

You would love their synergies with aftermarket cables!

Just a thought but since my JH13FPs came back last night and I finally have another iem to use apart from FX850s,

I might contact joker to see if he is keen I may loan him my set with both stock cable and 93spec cable.

Would be curious to see how it stands up in his leaderboard, since the old FX700 is already scoring 9.3/10 in his books! =)

Sep 13, 2014 at 2:46 PM Post #1,935 of 3,535
I might contact joker to see if he is keen I may loan him my set with both stock cable and 93spec cable.

Would be curious to see how it stands up in his leaderboard, since the old FX700 is already scoring 9.3/10 in his books! =)

That would be cool.
I was thinking the same thing yesterday but can't send him mine cause that's the only IEM I have (!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back