The JVC FX850..Woodie perfection?. (A review)
Sep 18, 2014 at 1:15 PM Post #1,951 of 3,535
I have been searching for a well-priced end-game IEM for a long time after never being fully satisfied with lots of others (although the Zero Audio Carbo Tenore and Fostex TE05 are both pretty fantastic) and have had little luck until now.... after reading through this thread, I'm convinced that these are the droids that I've been looking for (at least until I graduate with my PhD and get a real job...maybe even after that?) Everyone's descriptions of the sound makes them sound exactly what I've been searching for so I'm really excited to have found this!

On the other hand I'm also really broke after not getting paid for a month and having gone on two recent international trips (the joys and tribulations of graduate school!), including missing a flight because of the ******* Paris metro and having to pay to re-schedule the flight. So, 'broke' is an understatement.

I need to stop reading this thread! Otherwise I'm just going to put the purchase on a credit card and cry.... oh well, subbed anyway. I'll be keeping my eyes out for a used pair...

Sep 18, 2014 at 11:07 PM Post #1,953 of 3,535
Are these a big improvement in isolation when comparing to the FX700? I assume IE80 or FXZ series still isolate better?

They are vented so isolation is rather poor. Works best in quite environments. Definitely not a commute iem

Sep 19, 2014 at 3:56 AM Post #1,954 of 3,535
They are vented so isolation is rather poor. Works best in quite environments. Definitely not a commute iem

Actually they do pretty good even for commuting. The elevated bass on them helps to drown out sound. This results in a more neutral signature also lol.

Sep 19, 2014 at 4:00 AM Post #1,955 of 3,535
Actually they do pretty good even for commuting. The elevated bass on them helps to drown out sound. This results in a more neutral signature also lol.

Wut. Lol

I used it when I was walking around the city awhile back and it was OK, I had to turn up the volume quite a bit more than needed to drown out the noise. Think something closed like the CKRs would be better suited for the job

Sep 19, 2014 at 4:03 AM Post #1,956 of 3,535
Wut. Lol

I used it when I was walking around the city awhile back and it was OK, I had to turn up the volume quite a bit more than needed to drown out the noise. Think something closed like the CKRs would be better suited for the job

You are wrong and you know it!

Jk, looks like different environments and fits are causing this contrast between your comments and Lee730's.

Shameless +1 plug on the ckr. :)

Sep 19, 2014 at 4:04 AM Post #1,957 of 3,535
Wut. Lol

I can't argue there. But I've used them in public before and didn't have to pump it up too loud to get good effect. But they aren't sealed so of course isolation isn't its strong point. But being an open design and with spiral tips they give me pretty darn good isolation for an open design. If I recall correctly it isolated even better than the IE80.

If you are really concerned about isolation go for custom :).

Speaking of which, when I commute to work I wear my Flat 4 Suis to help reduce the noise-pollution. It helps to lower it down where I don't get a headache and overall helps to protect my hearing without blocking out too much where it would endanger me (I don't listen to music usually but the radio).

Sep 19, 2014 at 4:22 AM Post #1,958 of 3,535
You are wrong and you know it!

Jk, looks like different environments and fits are causing this contrast between your comments and Lee730's.

Shameless +1 plug on the ckr. :)

The 9s were very very good. Treble accuracy and textures were crazy even out of my old iPod.

I can't argue there. But I've used them in public before and didn't have to pump it up too loud to get good effect. But they aren't sealed so of course isolation isn't its strong point. But being an open design and with spiral tips they give me pretty darn good isolation for an open design. If I recall correctly it isolated even better than the IE80.

Speaking of which, when I commute to work I wear my Flat 4 Suis to help reduce the noise-pollution. It helps to lower it down where I don't get a headache and overall helps to protect my hearing without blocking out too much where it would endanger me (I don't listen to music usually but the radio).

Customs would be best, yeah. But the difference between a noisy environment and a quiet one for the 850s is so large that I usually can't justify calling it a commuting worthy phone, at least not to the closed offerings. In this sense, it is really similar to my Fidelio S2, useful if you need to know your surroundings, but they won't sound their best in most outdoor environments

Sep 19, 2014 at 4:33 AM Post #1,959 of 3,535
The 9s were very very good. Treble accuracy and textures were crazy even out of my old iPod.
Customs would be best, yeah. But the difference between a noisy environment and a quiet one for the 850s is so large that I usually can't justify calling it a commuting worthy phone, at least not to the closed offerings. In this sense, it is really similar to my Fidelio S2, useful if you need to know your surroundings, but they won't sound their best in most outdoor environments

Which is why I enjoy the 9s to this day. Bass and treble has it in for me, and so do the mids and imaging.

Did you sell yours by chance? You said were good, so I thought you do not own them now.

And Custom is definitely the way to go, OR a micro driver earphone. Something like the jvc microdriver series or even the aurisonic rockets would work. Too bad the aurisonics are not on sale until next year, and I do not know if you would enjoy the jvc microdrivers series, Mini.

+1

Sep 19, 2014 at 4:55 AM Post #1,960 of 3,535
There is something special though about open design IEMs that you just won't get from any closed design. The staging and air. Then again the FX850 isn't up to par with the Suis in that regards.

Sep 19, 2014 at 9:43 AM Post #1,961 of 3,535
So it definitely isolates better than FX700? I remember FX700 was totally just open. The isolation was poor because the sounds around aren't muffled. I can hear everything fairly clearly. But FX850 has smaller vents compare to FX700?
I'm ok with the isolation from FXZ series. How do the isolation FX850 and FXZ series compare?

Sep 19, 2014 at 1:38 PM Post #1,962 of 3,535
Not that I'd have the money but how much would it cost to reshell these into customs? And do y'all think it would significantly change the sound?

Sep 19, 2014 at 1:47 PM Post #1,963 of 3,535
Not that I'd have the money but how much would it cost to reshell these into customs? And do y'all think it would significantly change the sound?

If anything its probably for the worse. These will probably need no more than a premium cable upgrade coupled with a matching source and amp if you're hell-bent on squeezing every tiny ounce outta the 850s =)

Sep 19, 2014 at 5:37 PM Post #1,964 of 3,535

Not sure you could reshell the 850, but it would drastically change the sound. That change would undoubtedly be negative.

Sep 20, 2014 at 12:09 AM Post #1,965 of 3,535

Get CIEMs instead if you are considering that route. The FX850s aren't meant to be made into customs. It will impact the sound and for the worse... Dynamic drivers don't play well in random, confined spaces. The shell is made the way it is to accommodate the sound. BAs aren't affected so much by this as dynamic drivers are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back