The JVC FX850..Woodie perfection?. (A review)
May 2, 2014 at 7:10 PM Post #709 of 3,535
If not, ill be guine pig and try them with my mixamp and cinema sound yamaha receiver w/ ps4 battlefield. I currently have astro a40s, the phillips x1 was best gaming set ive tried for mix of fun and detailed directional sound cues

May 3, 2014 at 4:16 AM Post #714 of 3,535
FX850 is quite something alright. Overwhelmingly positive response in the forum so far.

bass - high in quantity, but also in quality
mid - checked
treble - checked
Soundstage - checked
timbre - checked
build - double checked

My only concern is the durability of this iem as the diaphragm are made of wood which is more susceptible to moisture and temperature changes. I'm sure they must've used some kind of treated wood material but still, wood is wood (actually very thin wood). I hope these will last for years to come.

Anybody found out any info about the wood JVC used in these iems?

May 3, 2014 at 8:06 AM Post #716 of 3,535
  FX850 is quite something alright. Overwhelmingly positive response in the forum so far.

bass - high in quantity, but also in quality
mid - checked
treble - checked
Soundstage - checked
timbre - checked
build - double checked

My only concern is the durability of this iem as the diaphragm are made of wood which is more susceptible to moisture and temperature changes. I'm sure they must've used some kind of treated wood material but still, wood is wood (actually very thin wood). I hope these will last for years to come.

Anybody found out any info about the wood JVC used in these iems?

As I said earlier in this thread, if you are concerned with moisture simply purchase a hearing aid dryer. I bought one specifically for my Spiral Ear SE5s but I use it on all my IEMs. I noticed it had an impact on my 1Plus2 for the better.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003I7WMGC/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1/188-8795123-4647939?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_r=18VT5ZKKQBRZVXSFMNB1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=1535523722&pf_rd_i=B000NWRM10

May 3, 2014 at 9:20 AM Post #718 of 3,535
@Wnuwk Siphon Nah, not weird at all. They're both IEMs around the same price range, regardless of housing or driver types, they should perform similarly for their price point.

To be brutally honest, the H-200 is inferior to these by a large margin. I've had the H-200 for close to 6 months and they are my daily beaters but in recent days I've found myself reaching for the fx850.

I'll give a few examples:

Soundstage
No contest, anyone who's owned the H-200 will agree these are very intimate, in-your-face IEMs, layering and instrument positioning isn't it's strong point, while as many in the thread have already noted, the FX850's soundstage is huge, both width and heightwise.

Treble
Subjective but overall strengths and enjoyment still goes to the woodies. The H-200 excels at electric guitars, giving them a very unique tint due to it's slight spike around the 10k region, makes metal and rock very enjoyable on them but this tint also becomes it's weakness as it performs less than optimal when it comes to most other genres, vocals become slightly pitchy and even brass instruments are slightly hot, particularly obvious in low quality recordings. I myself have gone through several tips to try and tame it. While the fx850 handles any and every song I threw at it with ease, sure it doesn't have that extra something of the hybrids, but between this and it's luscious timbre, my vote goes to the JVCs.

Bass
The woodies flat ou when it comes to quality. They punch hard and have enough speed to keep up with any EDM, Drumstep, Touhou music I throw at it. The H-200's mid bass gives most pop songs a very musical feel to them but it doesn't extend nearly as low as the fx850, nor does the texture match-up to the woodies. Quantity is Subjective, the fx850 has quite a bit More than the hybrids. I can see some, especially those bass-shy, not liking it. Myself? Crank dat schiit up!

Bonus: Build, Design and Practicality

Both have their quirks.

The Hybrids are rather awkward to get used to, the earguard(?) make for a snug fit, almost never coming loose, but they also cause discomfort for those smaller or sensitive outer ears. Isolation is decent, especially with some tip rolling. Cables are flexible, but it being red and bad microphonics make for a big negative, especially in an iem.

The Woodies are large, very large. But they also sit shallow so the IEMs not fitting typically shouldn't be a worry, but couple that with small ear canals or the need for deeper insertion for seal and I can see some problems with the housing's size. Isolation is also sub par due to vents. Lastly, cable is supple and durable, can see these taking quite a beating. Plug is straight, would prefer a right angle one in the future but it's a minor quip of mine.

Hope this helps

Edit: typos. Typos everywhere.

Wow! Thank you for that, Exesteils! Also for the metal sidenote. :)

It does place me in a weird position though, in that I got the H-200 specifically because they came highly recommended for it's capabilities with the genre, and as you say it does give electric guitars a certain tint but I don't necessarily like that... To my ears it makes guitars sound (even) more harsh or shrill than they're supposed to. Of course 'metal' is a very broad term and maybe I listen to different metal, or perhaps I just listen differently. Or both. Either way, when you say the H-200 excels at electric guitars relative to the 850's, and I am interested in the latter mostly for metal, where does that leave me..? Not so much asking you, more thinking out loud... 

On the other hand, not having that 'extra something of the hybrids' might actually be good news in my case... So, yeah, you have helped me but it does leave me with more questions. Which I'm not going to bother you with. Have to decide for myself obviously and the only way to know for sure is to try them out, but over here that does mean buying them first... Back to contemplation mode for me.

Thanks again, and CRANK DAT SCHIIT UP! 
beerchug.gif

May 3, 2014 at 9:56 AM Post #719 of 3,535

As I said earlier in this thread, if you are concerned with moisture simply purchase a hearing aid dryer. I bought one specifically for my Spiral Ear SE5s but I use it on all my IEMs. I noticed it had an impact on my 1Plus2 for the better.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003I7WMGC/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1/188-8795123-4647939?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_r=18VT5ZKKQBRZVXSFMNB1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=1535523722&pf_rd_i=B000NWRM10

I am not sure if dry heat would be good for wood iems. I don't think anyone would ever store their violin in a heated box, and in fact violin owners sometimes add humidity to their case during the drier indoor heating season. So the dryer might be great for metal and plastic iems, but I would think twice before storing a wood iem in a dryer...especially an iem with wood diaphragms.

May 3, 2014 at 10:51 AM Post #720 of 3,535

Wow! Thank you for that, Exesteils! Also for the metal sidenote. :)

It does place me in a weird position though, in that I got the H-200 specifically because they came highly recommended for it's capabilities with the genre, and as you say it does give electric guitars a certain tint but I don't necessarily like that... To my ears it makes guitars sound (even) more harsh or shrill than they're supposed to. Of course 'metal' is a very broad term and maybe I listen to different metal, or perhaps I just listen differently. Or both. Either way, when you say the H-200 excels at electric guitars relative to the 850's, and I am interested in the latter mostly for metal, where does that leave me..? Not so much asking you, more thinking out loud... 

On the other hand, not having that 'extra something of the hybrids' might actually be good news in my case... So, yeah, you have helped me but it does leave me with more questions. Which I'm not going to bother you with. Have to decide for myself obviously and the only way to know for sure is to try them out, but over here that does mean buying them first... Back to contemplation mode for me.

Thanks again, and CRANK DAT SCHIIT UP! 
beerchug.gif

That's pretty much it. The H-200 are highly recommended for metal due to that tint, while it still retains a lot of detail. Many, however, don't exactly like said tint, due to it making most sounds around the 10k region become too hot, sometimes unbearably so. The Hybrids excel at taking the electric guitar sound to the extreme, which sounds amazing in imo, but the untamed energy also becomes a problem with a lot of songs as well, especially if the song calls for a certain amount of finesse or control, ie melodic metal(core). The FX850 has no such problem, it's treble still has more than enough energy and sparkle to satisfy any form of metal or high energy songs without going too far over the top, as is the case with the H-200. Basically the FX850 has control on top of it's amazing capabilities, while the H-200 is an untamed beast(sometimes too much so), so if you didn't like the extra tinge the hybrids had then you probably wouldn't miss them at all. I know I don't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back