The JVC FX850..Woodie perfection?. (A review)
May 3, 2014 at 1:21 PM Post #721 of 3,535

That's pretty much it. The H-200 are highly recommended for metal due to that tint, while it still retains a lot of detail. Many, however, don't exactly like said tint, due to it making most sounds around the 10k region become too hot, sometimes unbearably so. The Hybrids excel at taking the electric guitar sound to the extreme, which sounds amazing in imo, but the untamed energy also becomes a problem with a lot of songs as well, especially if the song calls for a certain amount of finesse or control, ie melodic metal(core). The FX850 has no such problem, it's treble still has more than enough energy and sparkle to satisfy any form of metal or high energy songs without going too far over the top, as is the case with the H-200. Basically the FX850 has control on top of it's amazing capabilities, while the H-200 is an untamed beast(sometimes too much so), so if you didn't like the extra tinge the hybrids had then you probably wouldn't miss them at all. I know I don't.

My H-200's are peakless with the help of the tips I'm using and I love the sound. But youre description of the 850's is throwing my lust of for them over the line lol!

May 3, 2014 at 3:09 PM Post #723 of 3,535
My H-200's are peakless with the help of the tips I'm using and I love the sound. But youre description of the 850's is throwing my lust of for them over the line lol!

Not my intention but if it helps you make a decision, that's great!

These aren't timid by any means, and if you have a bad recording then they will tell it to you as it is. But give them something good to work with and they make every second worth while.

May 3, 2014 at 3:21 PM Post #724 of 3,535
  My only concern is the durability of this iem as the diaphragm are made of wood which is more susceptible to moisture and temperature changes. I'm sure they must've used some kind of treated wood material but still, wood is wood (actually very thin wood). I hope these will last for years to come.

Anybody found out any info about the wood JVC used in these iems?

I was kind of concerned about this too.
I really can't think of any wood the scale of the diaphragm dome/rings capable of withstanding humidity changes without warping or cracking.
It may not be an issue for the damper/diffuser rings since they are completely trapped between other solid parts... but the slightest warping of the diaphragm dome would act like a hair on a diaphragm. It would buzz like a bee.
Most likely, I bet the dome is made of wood micro particles and resin. And I wouldn't be surprised if it is more of a marketing thing rather than the main reason these phones sound so natural. Btw, even the external wooden housing is completely isolated from the inner brass chamber.

I highly doubt the wood parts will be an issue in durability. JVC's been in business for too long to put out an expensive product failing within months (that is, if the dome was "100% solid wood")

May 3, 2014 at 4:03 PM Post #726 of 3,535

I am not sure if dry heat would be good for wood iems. I don't think anyone would ever store their violin in a heated box, and in fact violin owners sometimes add humidity to their case during the drier indoor heating season. So the dryer might be great for metal and plastic iems, but I would think twice before storing a wood iem in a dryer...especially an iem with wood diaphragms.

Well I don't think it would have any negative impact on them in reality. The thing is I had a pair of FX700s which suffered from humidity. It literally made one of the IEMs quieter than the other. I had to let it go as a loss at that point. I never tried the dryer as I didn't have one. But it might have very well fixed that issue. I just used my square trade warranty and got my money back to buy another pair. The loss includes the money spent on the warranty and the extra money I had to put towards a brand new pair.

May 3, 2014 at 4:46 PM Post #727 of 3,535

Well I don't think it would have any negative impact on them in reality. The thing is I had a pair of FX700s which suffered from humidity. It literally made one of the IEMs quieter than the other. I had to let it go as a loss at that point. I never tried the dryer as I didn't have one. But it might have very well fixed that issue. I just used my square trade warranty and got my money back to buy another pair. The loss includes the money spent on the warranty and the extra money I had to put towards a brand new pair.

That is interesting....although of course you live in a very humid place. I live in Arizona, and I should probably buy a humidor to store my woodies
tongue.gif

May 3, 2014 at 6:40 PM Post #728 of 3,535
Never heard of issues with the fx700s. I cant swear to it but I thought they had wood driver too, but could of been just the other parts

It does have a wood drivers too.

May 4, 2014 at 1:18 AM Post #729 of 3,535
  Most likely, I bet the dome is made of wood micro particles and resin. And I wouldn't be surprised if it is more of a marketing thing rather than the main reason these phones sound so natural. Btw, even the external wooden housing is completely isolated from the inner brass chamber.

Well, look what I've found, an entire story of how these diaphragms were made. These are for speakers, but I suspect the same technique were used for the IEMs too.

http://www.jvc.eu/woodcone/story/index.html

Wood soaked in sake eh?

May 4, 2014 at 2:17 AM Post #730 of 3,535
For the lazy:

It seems that a thermosetting resin were used to moisture proof and help retain the diaphragm's shape in various condition. I'm almost certain the same was done to the FX850, don't see why they wouldn't use it.

May 4, 2014 at 2:25 AM Post #731 of 3,535
Courtesy of JVC.eu:

If we were to take JVC's words for it, and assuming the same techs were used in the FX850, then I can see how the wood diaphragm is responsible for that lush and lively sound described by dsnuts, "special" as he said.

Still doing some more research, as i don't want us to fall into that confirmation bias trap. But this is quite a story. And as a senior mechanical engineering student, I can tell you that I really appreciate good engineering when I see one.

May 4, 2014 at 2:37 AM Post #732 of 3,535
Great, short read. Thanks for finding it.

May 4, 2014 at 2:42 AM Post #733 of 3,535
This is a part of why these are so good. It's not just about the tuning of the dynamic driver, these guys have fine-tuned these little guys right down to the material used.

Highly impressed.

May 4, 2014 at 3:17 AM Post #735 of 3,535
  For those who consider buying on Amazon.jp and using Tenso as forwarder - the price for FX850 has dropped to 28587 Yen.

Again!? Well, anyone who was on the fence, now's the time to snap these up!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back