The JVC FX850..Woodie perfection?. (A review)
May 1, 2014 at 9:14 AM Post #677 of 3,535

Hehe.. I couldn't resist

biggrin.gif

May 1, 2014 at 9:26 AM Post #678 of 3,535
Hehe.. I couldn't resist

:D  

LOL. Well, kinda set myself up for that one.

Still burning in these, up to 50hours. Highs have improved, used to be a tad bit pitchy, slightly tighter kick on the bass. Looking forward to that 100hr mark

May 2, 2014 at 12:00 AM Post #679 of 3,535
I dreamt about these phones 2 nights ago! Its a sign that I must buy them!

May 2, 2014 at 1:16 AM Post #683 of 3,535
  Could someone compare the midrange of the FX850  to the XBA-H3?

I currently own the H3 and think that the mid of the H3 is slightly veiled (just very slightly). It's somewhat ...too polite in that range to really make the tunes dance, vocal are not quite what I'd hoped for in a hybrid. Hopefully, the FX850 will fill that void of the H3 for a more "fun" sounding experience?

We wouldn't mind if eric and dsnuts chime in here.

I think you would love the FX850. It is the phone your looking for. I can tell you if you upgrade your cable on the H3 with a silver cable and with proper amping  brings out a higher end sound from them but then for the money spent on an upgraded cable you can spend that toward the FX850.

Go for it. Your gonna love em. The FX850 is a permanent keeper for me and I am sure many others that bought them recently..I do like my H3s a lot but the FX850 are an absolute must buy.I do believe the FX850s will quickly become a headfi classic.  You want to truly enjoy your music..The FX850 on a solid source has to be experienced.

May 2, 2014 at 1:42 AM Post #684 of 3,535
I was just a/b'ing the FX850 and H3 through the Geek dac and both are so impressive but vocals and drums sound so much more realistic out of the FX850.  H3 has the edge in separation but the JVC's are amongst the best Iem's I've heard to date.  

May 2, 2014 at 5:34 AM Post #685 of 3,535
LOL. Well, kinda set myself up for that one.

Still burning in these, up to 50hours. Highs have improved, used to be a tad bit pitchy, slightly tighter kick on the bass. Looking forward to that 100hr mark

Lol yeah, I wondered whether it was intentional or not, but it was funny either way. Also, in the post above yours cydonia "paid 420 on amazon.com"... so there seems to be a pattern emerging. These can only be good signs!

BTW, I notice you have the T-Peos H-200. I love how detailed they are without getting too analytical, but I'm looking for a thicker midrange and MOAR BASS.

I know it's hybrid vs dynamic, full metal body vs wood - so basically apples vs oranges - but could you maybe compare the two for a bit?

May 2, 2014 at 6:58 AM Post #686 of 3,535
Wnuwk Siphon Nah, not weird at all. They're both IEMs around the same price range, regardless of housing or driver types, they should perform similarly for their price point.

To be brutally honest, the H-200 is inferior to these by a large margin. I've had the H-200 for close to 6 months and they are my daily beaters but in recent days I've found myself reaching for the fx850.

I'll give a few examples:

Soundstage
No contest, anyone who's owned the H-200 will agree these are very intimate, in-your-face IEMs, layering and instrument positioning isn't it's strong point, while as many in the thread have already noted, the FX850's soundstage is huge, both width and heightwise.

Treble
Subjective but overall strengths and enjoyment still goes to the woodies. The H-200 excels at electric guitars, giving them a very unique tint due to it's slight spike around the 10k region, makes metal and rock very enjoyable on them but this tint also becomes it's weakness as it performs less than optimal when it comes to most other genres, vocals become slightly pitchy and even brass instruments are slightly hot, particularly obvious in low quality recordings. I myself have gone through several tips to try and tame it. While the fx850 handles any and every song I threw at it with ease, sure it doesn't have that extra something of the hybrids, but between this and it's luscious timbre, my vote goes to the JVCs.

Bass
The woodies flat ou when it comes to quality. They punch hard and have enough speed to keep up with any EDM, Drumstep, Touhou music I throw at it. The H-200's mid bass gives most pop songs a very musical feel to them but it doesn't extend nearly as low as the fx850, nor does the texture match-up to the woodies. Quantity is Subjective, the fx850 has quite a bit More than the hybrids. I can see some, especially those bass-shy, not liking it. Myself? Crank dat schiit up!

Bonus: Build, Design and Practicality

Both have their quirks.

The Hybrids are rather awkward to get used to, the earguard(?) make for a snug fit, almost never coming loose, but they also cause discomfort for those smaller or sensitive outer ears. Isolation is decent, especially with some tip rolling. Cables are flexible, but it being red and bad microphonics make for a big negative, especially in an iem.

The Woodies are large, very large. But they also sit shallow so the IEMs not fitting typically shouldn't be a worry, but couple that with small ear canals or the need for deeper insertion for seal and I can see some problems with the housing's size. Isolation is also sub par due to vents. Lastly, cable is supple and durable, can see these taking quite a beating. Plug is straight, would prefer a right angle one in the future but it's a minor quip of mine.

Hope this helps

Edit: typos. Typos everywhere.

May 2, 2014 at 7:34 AM Post #687 of 3,535
Wnuwk Siphon Nah, not weird at all. They're both IEMs around the same price range, regardless of housing or driver types, they should perform similarly for their price point.

To be brutally honest, the H-200 is inferior to these by a large margin. I've had the H-200 for close to 6 months and they are my daily beaters but in recent days I've found myself reaching for the fx850.

I'll give a few examples:

Soundstage
No contest, anyone who's owned the H-200 will agree these are very intimate, in-your-face IEMs, layering and instrument positioning isn't it's strong point, while as many in the thread have already noted, the FX850's soundstage is huge, both width and height wise.

Treble
Subjective but overall strengths and enjoyment still goes to the woodies. The H-200 excels at electric guitars, giving them a very unique tint due to it's slight spike, makes metal and rock very enjoyable on them but this tint also becomes it's weakness as it performs less than optimal when it comes to other genres, vocals become slightly pitchy and even brass instruments are slightly hot, particularly obvious in low quality recordings. I myself have give through several tips to try and tame this. While the fx850 handles any and every song I threw at it with ease, sure it doesn't have that extra something of the hybrids, but between this and it's luscious timbre, my vote goes to the JVCs.

Bass
The woodies when it comes to quality. They punch hard and have enough speed to keep up with any EDM, Drumstep, Touhou music I throw at it. The H-200's mid bass gives most pop songs a very musical but it doesn't extend nearly as low as the fx850, nor does the texture match-up to the woodies. Quality is Subjective, the fx850 has quite a bit of it. I can seem some, especially those bass shy, not liking it. Myself? Crank dat schiit up!

Bonus: Build, Design and Practicality

Both have their quirks.

The Hybrids are rather awkward to get used to, the earguard(?) make for a snug fit, almost never coming loose, but they also cause discomfort for those smaller or sensitive outer ears. Cables are flexible, but it being red and bad microphonics make for a big negative, especially in an iem.

Woodies are large, very large. But they also sit shallow so the IEMs not fitting typically shouldn't be a worry, but couple that with small ear canals or the need for deeper insertion for seal and I can see some problems with the housing's size. Isolation is also sub par due to vents. Lastly, cable is supple and durable, can see these taking quite a beating. Plug is straight, would prefer a right angle one in the future but it's a minor quip of mine.

Hope this helps
even though the tpeos h300 is improvement over the h200, the fx850 is still quite a bit better still.

May 2, 2014 at 8:43 AM Post #689 of 3,535
I can see this, Considering fx850 is $100 more ^_^. Now, maybe comparing it to the DN-2k might have a slightly different result since it's a little bit closer in price.

Well the H-300 are around $300 and the FX850 around $320-350 in their respective. local retail prices, I was expecting a closer comparison.

May 2, 2014 at 8:50 AM Post #690 of 3,535
I can see this, Considering fx850 is $100 more ^_^. Now, maybe comparing it to the DN-2k might have a slightly different result since it's a little bit closer in price.
I have looked around. Ebay prices are only $10 difference. H300 had special price of $250 for pre ordering, but thats not reg price. Jvcs could be had for $278 at one time. So they are pretty close in price to compare imo

Unless there is somewhere to get Tpeos that I dont know (by the way, I did love my h300, very very nice. Bass was some of best I have heard for depth, punch, and remaining tight)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back