The JVC FX850..Woodie perfection?. (A review)
Mar 31, 2014 at 4:19 PM Post #391 of 3,535
The price is down to about $372 shipped to the USA on BuyJapan: https://www.buysmartjapan.com/index.php/en-us/product-index-K0000616746-f27b3c0a8003b3d890c1f7ee2e50986c.html

Fortunately, I was able to cancel my earlier order and save a little.

Mar 31, 2014 at 6:11 PM Post #392 of 3,535
  I just discovered that I may have been wearing these wrong (for my ears at least) this entire time. I had been doing relatively shallow insertion with the housing relatively parallel to my ears (cables over the ears), but just now I found out that if I have them inserted deeper with the housings virtually perpendicular to my ears, the sound is completely different. I'm inclined to believe that the latter method is the intended sound signature because the isolation increased dramatically (I used to be able to hear my mouse clicks clearly with no music playing, but now it's barely audible).

Seems like with this insertion method, smaller tips work better for me (currently using the stock small tips). I feel like the bass in bass-heavy tracks is now making my head vibrate.

The odd thing is that I was actually happy with how they sounded with shallow insertion, but after hearing what it sounds like a good seal, I'm not sure I can go back. It was more comfortable with shallow insertion though. I think the negative reviews on Amazon.co.jp complained about comfort over prolonged periods of time, and with deep insertion I can see why now.

Do they come with double flange tips? I find that for deep insertion, I usually like tips with more than one flange.

Mar 31, 2014 at 6:47 PM Post #393 of 3,535

Do they come with double flange tips? I find that for deep insertion, I usually like tips with more than one flange.

They do not come with any double flanged tips, but my ears usually have issues with the more common double flanged tip shape (where one flange is narrower than the other). I don't have any of those Sennheiser type tips where the flanges are equal width to test, but I suspect those would work out better for my ears.

I'm curious to know how others wear these: 1) cable straight down/over ears, 2) shallow/deep insertion

Mar 31, 2014 at 8:42 PM Post #394 of 3,535
After spending a week drooling over the near perfection of the H3s but eventually sending them back to amazon because of fit issues I just placed an order with buysmartjapan, my only tiniest gripe with the near perfection of the h3 was its odd distance everything seemed to have and after reading dsnuts comments I hope this is the best earphone for my tastes being slightly more forward but just as big, I had to apply a -2db .5Q at 155hz eq on my clip+ to settle the h3s mid bass down to a more realistic level, any idea how similar the lower mids are on the fx850?

Mar 31, 2014 at 10:16 PM Post #397 of 3,535
Cable straight down and shallow insertion, but have tested with deep insertion and they sound great both ways.
:rolleyes: Agreed. But for the best sounding female vocals with woodies, deep insertion is the way to go. Better PRaT. :D

Apr 1, 2014 at 10:05 PM Post #398 of 3,535
i know you all have been saying the sound is great on these including the bass, but what about the quantity of bass? Can these handle Electronic music just good as orchestral instruments? Also, how's the fit? Do these stay in ear firmly?

Apr 2, 2014 at 3:56 AM Post #399 of 3,535
Ok, I can't take it anymore, I want some Woodies.

And it just so happens that a good friend of mine is in Japan for the next month or so and might be able to pick up a pair.

Does anyone here know if there's any significant price difference in different shops in Tokio or other cities?

Cheers, eM!eL.

Apr 4, 2014 at 12:13 AM Post #404 of 3,535
Eww. Got mine for $310.00 
bigsmile_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back