The JVC FX850..Woodie perfection?. (A review)
Jan 20, 2015 at 10:41 AM Post #2,656 of 3,535
  I've been reading about the Duoza, CKR9, CKR10, Dunu DN1000, Dunu Titan 1 and the JVC offerings. I'm looking for a 'keeper' which sounds great with downtempo, electronica and ....... Pink Floyd. I like to hear the bassline in some PF tracks, the sparkle and imagining and soundstage.  I love my JVC DX700 and AKG Q701, but looking for an in ear for travelling through the day. I have to Narmoo S1, which I've enjoyed greatly, so good for the price, but a criticism would be that it gets slightly congested with complex passages of music. Looking to upgrade. 

Will the JVCs be up my street? Would the HA FX750 or FX850 suit my tastes in music? Obviously, the cheaper the better.

i had Spiral tips on the Narmoo...opens up the sound , give it a try b4 u put it aside.

Jan 21, 2015 at 3:09 PM Post #2,658 of 3,535
Seller on Amazon Japan is selling a used FX650 for 8880 yen.

http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/offer-listing/B00I4KPBIE/

Jan 24, 2015 at 4:45 PM Post #2,659 of 3,535
Is anyone has compared FX-850 vs InEar StageDiver SD-3 ?
Thanks.

Jan 26, 2015 at 8:36 AM Post #2,660 of 3,535
Just joined this club- my own pair has arrived for my shootout. Did the front mod with a McDonald's straw (just put in on before the tip. It's now like a 'spin-tip'. As in, it spins. And it's a tip.

The McD straw was too big for the back mod though- gonna try again tomorrow with a different brand.

Jan 26, 2015 at 8:02 PM Post #2,661 of 3,535
  Just joined this club- my own pair has arrived for my shootout. Did the front mod with a McDonald's straw (just put in on before the tip. It's now like a 'spin-tip'. As in, it spins. And it's a tip.

The McD straw was too big for the back mod though- gonna try again tomorrow with a different brand.

Great to hear :)

Wonder what your opinion on the back mod will be because IMO, it sacrifices the small isolation a dynamic driver needs for dynamics etc. Tried it and although it definitely toned down midbass, it also made it sound a hair more "closed".

Jan 26, 2015 at 11:10 PM Post #2,662 of 3,535

Great to hear :)

Wonder what your opinion on the back mod will be because IMO, it sacrifices the small isolation a dynamic driver needs for dynamics etc. Tried it and although it definitely toned down midbass, it also made it sound a hair more "closed".

Step 6: Listen to a track with drums and/or bass. You should hear a pronounced bass attenuation vs. stock, but dynamics should still sound natural and lifelike.
If you feel that dynamics are badly lacking, chances are that the back vent is completely blocked. In that case, repeat the mod with a thinner / smaller drinking straw.

Jan 27, 2015 at 1:09 AM Post #2,663 of 3,535
^ There is no two ways about the straw mod, the more you obstruct the back, the more closed the sound will be. But if you add in your front mod, which lets some air in, then it kinda balances out the air lost from the straw mod and regains an open sound, although its still a different type of open sound to stock.

Jan 27, 2015 at 1:52 AM Post #2,664 of 3,535
  ^ There is no two ways about the straw mod, the more you obstruct the back, the more closed the sound will be. But if you add in your front mod, which lets some air in, then it kinda balances out the air lost from the straw mod and regains an open sound, although its still a different type of open sound to stock.

All well and good, tuning choices always involve compromises, since you can't have everything at once in an IEM. Less boosted / reverberant bass and more present mids on the modded JVCs will certainly change soundstage perception. Dynamics shouldn't suffer though, as long as you don't entirely block the back vent.

Jan 27, 2015 at 2:10 AM Post #2,665 of 3,535
Originally Posted by james444 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

All well and good, tuning choices always involve compromises, since you can't have everything at once in an IEM. Less boosted / reverberant bass and more present mids on the modded JVCs will certainly change soundstage perception. Dynamics shouldn't suffer though, as long as you don't entirely block the back vent.

Hard to explain the sound change obviously but how I would relate is the effect you get from hovering your hands over the grills of a full sized can whilst listening to them. Doesn't block the vent but obviously does not sound as good in particular aspects on at least all the full sized cans I've tried including the FX850.

Jan 30, 2015 at 5:40 AM Post #2,666 of 3,535
I'm really enjoying the FX650, more than even the FX750 and FX1100. If judged purely by technical merit, then the FX650 will lose by a landslide to the FX750 and FX1100. But when I just let myself adjust to the FX650 sound and forget about what I had in my ears before, I found that I would melt into the music with the FX650's more than with the higher up FX's.

Jan 30, 2015 at 10:48 PM Post #2,667 of 3,535
  I'm really enjoying the FX650, more than even the FX750 and FX1100. If judged purely by technical merit, then the FX650 will lose by a landslide to the FX750 and FX1100. But when I just let myself adjust to the FX650 sound and forget about what I had in my ears before, I found that I would melt into the music with the FX650's more than with the higher up FX's.

Interesting. Why do you think that is?

Feb 2, 2015 at 4:32 AM Post #2,668 of 3,535
^ Actually the FX650 just had a very good pairing with the ZX1, but I'm listening to the FX750 with the DX90, and yeah it is much better than the FX650 in all technical aspects. Still, the FX650 are nice, even though they have much less detail and smaller sound stage, the mids, bass and treble have a very velvety, creamy texture, which the other FX models don't have, I would describe the other FX models as more dry and airy. So the FX650 paired well with the ZX1 as the ZX1 is an airy big sound staged dap, and coupled well with the creamy FX650. The higher up FX series don't pair as well with the ZX1. But they are excellent paired with the DX90.

I'm really digging the FX750, sounds better than the FX1100 imo. Actually, the FX750 has tighter bass than both FX850 and FX1100 (not less bass, just tighter, its still a bass cannon lol), the sound stage is slightly smaller on FX750 compared to FX850 and FX1100, but the tighter bass is very noticeable. Also I like the treble of the FX750 better than the FX850 and FX1100, the treble is actually smoother (not less treble, just has much better texture )and more refined, less tizzy in nature, has more detail, air and extension. Also I find the mids of the FX750 closer to the mids of the FX1100, than the very slightly recessed FX850 mids. 

As it stands, I'm going to say the FX750 is the best buy out of the 4 FX models.

Feb 2, 2015 at 4:57 PM Post #2,670 of 3,535
  /snip

I'm really digging the FX750, sounds better than the FX1100 imo. Actually, the FX750 has tighter bass than both FX850 and FX1100 (not less bass, just tighter, its still a bass cannon lol), the sound stage is slightly smaller on FX750 compared to FX850 and FX1100, but the tighter bass is very noticeable. Also I like the treble of the FX750 better than the FX850 and FX1100, the treble is actually smoother (not less treble, just has much better texture )and more refined, less tizzy in nature, has more detail, air and extension. Also I find the mids of the FX750 closer to the mids of the FX1100, than the very slightly recessed FX850 mids. 

As it stands, I'm going to say the FX750 is the best buy out of the 4 FX models.

beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back