The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Nov 2, 2013 at 7:49 AM Post #736 of 22,496
Gavin, thank you for the comment, I have never ever heard of another over-the-ear leather/pleather cushion can that is supposed to leak from edges to get the best sound.

Surely, you do good by mentioning this because I must not be the only one who failed to read the memo :wink:.

Also, I don't recall talking to you at the meet so, definitely, I hope I can recognize who you are next time and will be happy to have a chat!

Arnaud

Nov 2, 2013 at 7:58 AM Post #737 of 22,496
Gavin, thank you for the comment, I have never ever heard of another over-the-ear leather/pleather cushion can that is supposed to leak from edges to get the best sound.

Surely, you do good by mentioning this because I must not be the only one who failed to read the memo
wink.gif

Also, I don't recall talking to you at the meet so, definitely, I hope I can recognize who you are next time and will be happy to have a chat!

Arnaud

Arnaud

I was with AnakChan who introduced us .......don't worry too much, I will see you next year again. 

Nov 2, 2013 at 8:20 AM Post #738 of 22,496
  Is this not in the manual? Thought it'd be pretty important to add in amongst all the other stuff that came with it. (I might have to save that post for when I buy my pair… in like 20 years.)

I never read the manual when I got the thing, I just put it on my head and streamed music through it.

Nov 2, 2013 at 8:37 AM Post #740 of 22,496
Unless I missed something, there is no "manual", per se.  There's a single page of info to help get you started.  JPS really should include either some illustrations that explain the fitting process.  It would be really cool if they posted a video on their website to help walk people through the fitting process and explain their theories behind how the cups should fit!  Joe is super friendly and takes time to explain things on the phone, but I imagine he must have this conversation many times a week, so it would probably be easier for them to just post a vid! 

Nov 2, 2013 at 9:52 PM Post #741 of 22,496
I prefer the Abyss with a less than perfect seal. Measurably, it results in a slight bass bump (a few db) at 40-50Hz and subjectively adds a bit more punch. I'm guilty of being a slight basshead.

The point of it is that people can futz with stuff to get the sound they want. The pads can be rotated or angled inward/outward.

Nov 3, 2013 at 7:16 AM Post #743 of 22,496
The dark star will take forever to come... I also bought a firefly... wonder if that will do the job. Btw will getting a Cambridge dac magic help?

From what I've read, the wa7 should be able to drive it. Which Dacmagic are you thinking of? Any model Dacmagic will give you more input options than the wa7. But whether that qualifies as "help"ing depends on you need.

Kindda strange going wa7, then dacmagic then dark star...?

Nov 3, 2013 at 7:39 AM Post #744 of 22,496
I will be taking my Abyss to a friend's this week who has the WA7 and just received the ALO Studio 6, so will post a comment or two about the pairing with the WA7.

Nov 3, 2013 at 10:50 AM Post #746 of 22,496
I prefer the Abyss with a less than perfect seal. Measurably, it results in a slight bass bump (a few db) at 40-50Hz and subjectively adds a bit more punch. I'm guilty of being a slight basshead.

The point of it is that people can futz with stuff to get the sound they want. The pads can be rotated or angled inward/outward.

I am at The same experiance like you purrin
With The thicker EarPods on The back Site like My LCD 3 EarPads .

I Think This is a genius design from Joe , that The earcups are not sealed My Ears .
With This Flying EarPads i can have better soundstage

The important Thing i can hear music With Abyss For LONG listening time and never feel so
Pressure In My Ears and My head .

For The SQ is The best For Me

IMO

Nov 3, 2013 at 12:36 PM Post #747 of 22,496
no I ordered the dark star and firefly together, the Cambridge dac majic is for my genelac 6080 my desktop speakers

a little ot, but would be interesting to compare the dac in the dacmagic against the one inside the wa7.

May I ask where you are? I am kindda looking for a local genelec distributor - might have a spare mjolnir soon and might try driving active speakers off it. I'm in thailand, btw.

Nov 3, 2013 at 12:46 PM Post #748 of 22,496

The Abyss driver seems fairly well damped where a loss of seal doesn't result in massive bass rolloff and a huge 5-10db mid-bass hump. This is not too unlike the HE-500. The HE-400 on the other hand is more sensitive to seal (see Jerg pad measurements). I know the STAX are very sensitive to seal. Lack of good seal on the STAX = boom boom city with severe rolloff.

Nov 4, 2013 at 12:36 PM Post #749 of 22,496
a little ot, but would be interesting to compare the dac in the dacmagic against the one inside the wa7.

May I ask where you are? I am kindda looking for a local genelec distributor - might have a spare mjolnir soon and might try driving active speakers off it. I'm in thailand, btw.

I'm in Bangkok for some work till the 10th... I from singapore

Nov 5, 2013 at 11:02 AM Post #750 of 22,496
Had some fun at my friend's today trying the Abyss on the Studio 6 sourced by the Lumin, and a very nice sounding combination indeed.......................

We are both tweakers, and originally he had the Shun Mook diamond resonators underneath the Studio 6 and it sounded a tad slow with a slight smearing in the upper mid/ lower trebles....We changed the Shun Mook out and inserted Nordost Kones and immediately the smearing was cleaned up allowing more vibrancy to come through.

I think many will be happy with this combination, and enough for my friend to take steps in buying a pair of the Abyss. For him, he says that the Abyss are the best Headphones he has heard and probably betters a Stax set up. That, the bass performance on the Abyss is unimpeachable, and the preciseness and realism of presentation is unmatched.

I, of course concur with his thoughts.....................

Apologies for the poor phone pics :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back