The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Aug 7, 2013 at 10:50 AM Post #511 of 22,511
x838nwy, you may wanna chill a little. kiertijai is merely expressing his stance of how he values the comments of his colleagues. It's not gospel.

My apologies to all. If the guy trusts in certain opinions, I'm cool with that, always. Just don't get the whole elite thing. Anyhow, please forgive the pollution. Will refrain in future.

Aug 7, 2013 at 11:38 AM Post #513 of 22,511
There seems to be an emphasis on comparing the Abyss to the SR009, and I suppose this is because of the price similarity.
I think the more apt comparison is with LCD3s or HE500s/HE6s, as these are headphones of the same type (planar-mags).

My 009s have such a different sonic feel from my dynamics I usually don't compare them to each other, as they are in different sonic worlds.

Aug 7, 2013 at 11:53 AM Post #514 of 22,511
Why is it so terrible?  It is very similar to my comparison of the newest Ferrari and Lamborghini models.  The Ferrari drove like a charm and was better across the board on acceleration, speed, turn handling - everything.  The Lamborghini seemed to have no "grip" of the road, took forever to accelerate and longer to slow down.  The Ferrari was tested on the Autobahn while the Lamborghini was tested on the very same road in a blizzard.

business_jj sells the Abyss by the way.  

It's the Shakti Stone installed on the Ferrari, I tell you.

More on topic however, business_jj also sells Stax, Fostex and Senns, assuming he makes a similar margin on them all, i'd consider his comments a wee bit more impartial, may be(?)

Comparing them to electrostats imo is inevitable, I guess. But I'll try to get some head time on them this weekend and seeing I've never heard the 009's, I wonder if my views will differ from others who have.

Aug 7, 2013 at 12:16 PM Post #515 of 22,511
Personally, I think it was that in one case the road wasn't optimal for the car driving on it, but maybe that's just me.

These items do not all have similar margins. x As an example, American sellers here don't make much more than 10% on the 009's, while dealer cost on HD800's is near $8-900 compared to $1499 retail cost.  Stax has some of the worst margins in the business.

I'll buy a dealer being impartial when I see them say something less than complimentary about a product.  Every time a new product comes out, they want to sell some and it is some variety of the best until the next new release.

This is all immaterial though, I brought it up because there are rules and restrictions about what MOT's can post even if they are saints.

Aug 7, 2013 at 12:22 PM Post #516 of 22,511
Quote:
There seems to be an emphasis on comparing the Abyss to the SR009, and I suppose this is because of the price similarity.
I think the more apt comparison is with LCD3s or HE500s/HE6s, as these are headphones of the same type (planar-mags).

My 009s have such a different sonic feel from my dynamics I usually don't compare them to each other, as they are in different sonic worlds.

That's actually a very good point since the Abyss (ortho) and SR009 (stat) are such different beasts in the way they present sound.

Aug 7, 2013 at 1:10 PM Post #517 of 22,511
To elaborate on my misgivings about comparing the Abyss to 009s, it muddies the waters and is unfair to both phones.
While a thread about stats vs. non-stats would be great,
the Abyss/009 comparisons seem to have a lot of issues that would fall in the stats vs. non-stats arena, and that's not germane to the discussion.
--------------------------------
And yep, a dealer should clearly disclose the fact that he is one and his affiliation in any post (I'm sure the head-fi moderator would agree). Isn't there a head-fi rule about that?

Aug 7, 2013 at 1:16 PM Post #518 of 22,511
Part of it is lack of actual hands-on knowledge and experience. As you said, folks see the price tags; and it's natural to compare based on that.

Aug 7, 2013 at 1:36 PM Post #519 of 22,511
Quote:
Why is it so terrible?  It is very similar to my comparison of the newest Ferrari and Lamborghini models.  The Ferrari drove like a charm and was better across the board on acceleration, speed, turn handling - everything.  The Lamborghini seemed to have no "grip" of the road, took forever to accelerate and longer to slow down.  The Ferrari was tested on the Autobahn while the Lamborghini was tested on the very same road in a blizzard.

business_jj sells the Abyss by the way.  

+1

I was really surprised when they said they were using the Leben, which is considered to be garbage? terrible? even for normal headphones (despite the ridiculous price). If somebody is going to declare the Abyss superior over the SR-009 at least have the decency to drive it off a Stax purposed amp. At least the 727/717 if not a full out Blue Hawaii//Electra/Liquid Lightning. The logic of it's "fair" because they're both being driven from the same amp is crazy bad/flawed because the amp might work ok with one headphone while being terrible with the other because of different driver principles, different technology.

It's like racing a horse and Ferrari up a mountain without a road: the Ferrari can't go up and will lose but the horse can run up like hell. Give them both the right equipment and then compare.

I think we only know one thing from the review which is that the SR-009 doesn't sound all that great from the Leben, which isn't even a Stax purposed amp to begin with. And it's the Leben, nothing sounds great with it. LOL
very_evil_smiley.gif

Aug 7, 2013 at 3:00 PM Post #522 of 22,511
Quote:
     @business_jj, Peeradonn   do you think the performance of JPS abyss justify its asking price?  comparing to a less expensive but
also excellent, LCD3

I don't think they both are worth the asking prices as well as LCD3. I still like Sony R10 (bass heavy) the most. But if you are looking for the best headphone that is currently available in the market with no limited budget, I think they are just only two options now. They are the beasts from two species. You can borrow my Abyss to compare with others this weekend if you want to. I'm appreciated to let you listen to it and share to people.

Quote:
Personally, I think it was that in one case the road wasn't optimal for the car driving on it, but maybe that's just me.

These items do not all have similar margins. x As an example, American sellers here don't make much more than 10% on the 009's, while dealer cost on HD800's is near $8-900 compared to $1499 retail cost.  Stax has some of the worst margins in the business.

I'll buy a dealer being impartial when I see them say something less than complimentary about a product.  Every time a new product comes out, they want to sell some and it is some variety of the best until the next new release.

This is all immaterial though, I brought it up because there are rules and restrictions about what MOT's can post even if they are saints.

FYI, I'm STAX distributor so I got the best price from STAX. I got least margin(%) from JPS compared to other brands I sell, Fostex, Senneiser, HifiMAN, Audeze, etc. And since I started my business as headphone store, I have never sold any high-end headphone to head-fi members, not even one unit. I became a member since 2008 and have only 81 posts. I should post more If I am being affiliate with any companies. Also, If I really mean to sell it, I can become sponsor and create a selling treat.

I'm just a headphone lover like you guys but its funny since someone put MOT status on my name and I can't even share my experiences straightforwardly.

I do believe that very few members here have more experiences that I am. I do have headphone demo over 200 models, +30 DACs, +10 sources, +15 amps and more which all are in my hand now. I started to buy and compare headphone since 1997. So I think my post should have at least some useful information for some users which I'm cheerful to do that without any benefit.

But this is internet world, people here don't know real me. It's hard to make people think of me in that way.

Aug 7, 2013 at 3:36 PM Post #523 of 22,511
Quote:

I don't think they both are worth the asking prices as well as LCD3. I still like Sony R10 (bass heavy) the most. But if you are looking for the best headphone that is currently available in the market with no limited budget, I think they are just only two options now. They are the beasts from two species. You can borrow my Abyss to compare with others this weekend if you want to. I'm appreciated to let you listen to it and share to people.

FYI, I'm STAX distributor so I got the best price from STAX. I got least margin(%) from JPS compared to other brands I sell, Fostex, Senneiser, HifiMAN, Audeze, etc. And since I started my business as headphone store, I have never sold any high-end headphone to head-fi members, not even one unit. I became a member since 2008 and have only 81 posts. I should post more If I am being affiliate with any companies. Also, If I really mean to sell it, I can become sponsor and create a selling treat.

I'm just a headphone lover like you guys but its funny since someone put MOT status on my name and I can't even share my experiences straightforwardly.

I do believe that very few members here have more experiences that I am. I do have headphone demo over 200 models, +30 DACs, +10 sources, +15 amps and more which all are in my hand now. I started to buy and compare headphone since 1997. So I think my post should have at least some useful information for some users which I'm cheerful to do that without any benefit.

But this is internet world, people here don't know real me. It's hard to make people think of me in that way.

The MOT rules are the MOT rules, yes they gyp us of some experienced opinions but they also prevent this forum from becoming way too commercialized, as well as the inevitable hissy fits between various MOT's you'll find on some other forums.

By the way, who is peeradonn buying his Abyss from?

Aug 7, 2013 at 4:55 PM Post #524 of 22,511
Quote:
How is an LCD3 modded? New to me...

They replaced the internal cables with Jena Cables. The sound remains dark, warm, but soundstage and clarity have improved.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back