The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Jul 22, 2013 at 5:06 AM Post #318 of 22,422
Quote:
that being said, the nfb-27 is a damn good DAC/amp for the asking price. 

Yeh but that's not the point. You know exactly what I'm going to say about that amp and a five n half thousand dollar headphone. Crazy. Not far from patrick82 who diced up a $14k power cable to recable his K1k powered by some T-Amp.

Jul 22, 2013 at 5:27 AM Post #319 of 22,422
As i have said before, Ferrucio Lamborghini went from manufacturing farm tractors, to high end sports cars.

Just my opinion, really. I don't really "go" for the idea of super-expensive headphones. As for cars... Well, I never really liked Lamborghini style. I'm more of a "classical sport car" than a "super sport car" man. I like Porche 911 GTs, AMG SLSs and C63, Jaguar E and F types better than any Ferrari, Lamborghini, McLaren super low suspension futuristic design models. But, again, just me.

Jul 22, 2013 at 5:29 AM Post #320 of 22,422
Actually there's a lot more similarities there beyond the square wave plots (30 and 300Hz). The frequency responses are fairly similar, the distortion seems a bit better on the Abyss, but the impulse response is quite a bit better on the HE400s. Price difference = $5100. 
size]

Yeah. Sigh

Jul 22, 2013 at 7:45 AM Post #324 of 22,422
Quote:
I'd say you'd benefit more if you invest on better DAC & Amp first before.jumping on the abyss...

Hmm...The reason why I didnt was because some people regard audio-gd products to sound as good as something twice as expensive. They don't look the best but they have really high specs and are very cheap for the given specs.

Anyway, one day in the distant future (when I have the funds) I may get a cavalli.

Jul 22, 2013 at 8:26 AM Post #325 of 22,422
Not to rain down on you but specs and high end sound/sound impressions have no correlation with each from a perspective. I have also owned that particular model you have there and frankly said you're not getting the best out of the HD800's at all. 10-30 mins of quick audition time also is not enough and generally your mind(due to placebo) will automatically think newer is better (not always the case). Anyway enough yapping from me. Godspeed and good luck.

Jul 22, 2013 at 8:33 AM Post #326 of 22,422
Quote:

Hmm...The reason why I didnt was because some people regard audio-gd products to sound as good as something twice as expensive. They don't look the best but they have really high specs and are very cheap for the given specs.

Anyway, one day in the distant future (when I have the funds) I may get a cavalli.

NFB-27 is a 1500$ DAC/Amp

2x1500 = 3000$, I don't think a DAC + an amp with total cost of 3000$ to be enough to drive Abyss well...

Jul 22, 2013 at 8:49 AM Post #327 of 22,422
Quote:
NFB-27 is a 1500$ DAC/Amp

2x1500 = 3000$, I don't think a DAC + an amp with total cost of 3000$ to be enough to drive Abyss well...

You can't really calculate it that way. The amp section in the NFB-27 is the weaker of the model, the DAC section is quite nice. 

I'm pretty sure those DIY Pass amp's that can cost around $1k be able to drive orthos such as the Abyss better than any conventional headphone amplifier as orthos love currents and high voltage swing.

Jul 22, 2013 at 8:51 AM Post #328 of 22,422
I just got my Abyss ab-1266.

In comparison to the HD800, I would say that it is a better headphone. 

It has much better bass, at least as much detail (maybe a little bit more so far), wider (and maybe deeper) soundstage, and a more enjoyable sound signature.
The Sennheiser had equal or slightly better instrument placement (really hard to tell) and comfort.

This very brief analysis is without performing any burn in. The amp used was an audio-gd nfb-27.

The materials used on this headphone are top notch. Solid and cleanly built. Feels very robust. 

Nice...
Please give more impression once the phone burn-in.
In my experience, audio-gd such as my ref7 sound better when I left it on 24/7, so I never turn it off =)

Jul 22, 2013 at 8:55 AM Post #329 of 22,422
May I kindly ask why a $3000 amp/dac isn't good enough for the Abyss? Not a personal attack but just a question from curiosity considering headphones will end up the way of high end audio soon with anything less than 20k classified as mid range.

I plan to get a BHSE in the future and this kinda thinking pisses me off that a $3000 solid state combo isn't good enough. I understand stat technology is complicated but solid state is simply inexcusable. Maybe we should just start at $10000 and encourage prices to go up even more.

/rant

Users who are viewing this thread

Back