The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Jul 19, 2013 at 12:05 AM Post #286 of 22,459
They'll be at the large LA meet on Saturday, so expect more impressions this weekend. 
smile.gif

Jul 19, 2013 at 12:43 AM Post #288 of 22,459
I wouldn't ever pay this price even if they are better than the HE-6, which are my favorite planars and I quite enjoy.

Jul 19, 2013 at 4:08 AM Post #290 of 22,459
My review is up:   http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/jps-labs-abyss-ab-1266-planar-magnetic-headphones

I'm wondering if other have heard the noise confusing the treble that I did?

Thanks Tyll, some good stuff here. Your opinion seems surprisingly positive overall, though the treble issues you report are enough to make me balk given the exorbitant pricing. Also, I must say these have easily the most underwhelming measurements I've witnessed in a headphone over $1k. Distortion, particularly in the upper frequencies, is outright appauling. The frequency response itself doesn't even seem to fit with some user impressions, ie, the bass appears to be considerably rolled off and the midrange dip is so excessive it would be unacceptable on a headphone 1/10th it's price. Square wave plots would indicate the headphone only competes with the likes of the LCD-2 or HE-500, never mind their big brothers. With the ability to buy the Stax SR-009s brand new for $2k less (or even less again for the 007), I really don't see why anyone would feel compelled to choose these instead.

Jul 19, 2013 at 6:40 AM Post #292 of 22,459
Let's hope the headphone scene does not follow in the footsteps of high end audio where equipment gets interest solely due to shocking pricing; where folks assume new physics is being discovered every day due the the over the top claims of non-science "designers" in their tiny boutique companies; where lies and bogus claims trump real, quality design; where great reviews based on advertising in the magazine doing the review sway unwitting consumers (who later refuse to admit they've been had); where general deception and profit mongering rule the kingdom.

The headphone world is so much more about the music than the luxury-goods market which high end audio has become.  These headphones remind me more of the high end audio scene where pricing is seemingly more based on dart-board sessions than product design quality or cost to manufacture.   

Jul 19, 2013 at 7:08 AM Post #293 of 22,459
Quote:
Let's hope the headphone scene does not follow in the footsteps of high end audio where equipment gets interest solely due to shocking pricing; where folks assume new physics is being discovered every day due the the over the top claims of non-science "designers" in their tiny boutique companies; where lies and bogus claims trump real, quality design; where great reviews based on advertising in the magazine doing the review sway unwitting consumers (who later refuse to admit they've been had); where general deception and profit mongering rule the kingdom.

The headphone world is so much more about the music than the luxury-goods market which high end audio has become.  These headphones remind me more of the high end audio scene where pricing is seemingly more based on dart-board sessions than product design quality or cost to manufacture.   

The headphone scene WILL follow high-end audio... I mean, aren't headphones like these high-end audio? Like the LCD-3 and its $2000 price tag versus the LCD-2 and its $1000 price tag? (Dare I say Orpheus?)

The thing is you're getting quality for your money. High-end audio needs to be paired with equipment that will make it shine, and maybe even the proper room. Mismatching them can lead to hell on your equipment (and not to mention wallet). Though sometimes "quality" for someone may mean the complete opposite for another (my friend and I debating on LCD3 vs HD800 comes to mind). Its all a matter of preference

This is why we have these impressions and reviews, so we decide for ourselves if this investment will be worth it. If someone is uncomfortable about spending a lot on audio equipment, nothing's stopping him/her from considering other options! And hell, a lot of people are content with their gear, no matter how much or how little they spend on it. At least we have the freedom to study and compare, look at impressions and find what's right for us... eventually we find that sweet spot that will make you happy.

What I'm happy about with the Abyss 'phones is that we have another addition to the Planar Magnetic market. Another choice has been added, just like the high-end audio market. It just gives us more to love and more to hate and more to dream about. The price may be steep but there's someone out there craving that exact sound and willing to work for that and get it. And if we aren't after that sound... then we can find something else to whet our appetite...

Thus the hunger for "that sound" continues.

Jul 19, 2013 at 8:12 AM Post #294 of 22,459
Its entirely upto us to guide the headphone market. We ultimately decide the price of headphones, the manufacturer just sets it.

If the product doesn't match expectations and its price tag, don't buy it and send a message by keeping your wallet folded.

If tomorrow I hear everyone complaining about high prices, they need to go see a mirror for the person responsible.

Jul 19, 2013 at 8:24 AM Post #295 of 22,459
Quote:
Its entirely upto us to guide the headphone market. We ultimately decide the price of headphones, the manufacturer just sets it.

If the product doesn't match expectations and its price tag, don't buy it and send a message by keeping your wallet folded.

If tomorrow I hear everyone complaining about high prices, they need to go see a mirror for the person responsible.

And just how did "we" decide the price of these headphones, may I ask?

Jul 19, 2013 at 9:54 AM Post #297 of 22,459
Quote:

Thanks Tyll, some good stuff here.Your opinion seems surprisingly positive overall, though the treble issues you report are enough to make me balk given the exorbitant pricing. Also, I must say these have easily the most underwhelming measurements I've witnessed in a headphone over $1k. Distortion, particularly in the upper frequencies, is outright appauling. The frequency response itself doesn't even seem to fit with some user impressions, ie, the bass appears to be considerably rolled off and the midrange dip is so excessive it would be unacceptable on a headphone 1/10th it's price. Square wave plots would indicate the headphone only competes with the likes of the LCD-2 or HE-500, never mind their big brothers.With the ability to buy the Stax SR-009s brand new for $2k less (or even less again for the 007), I really don't see why anyone would feel compelled to choose these instead.

Actually the LCD-2's square wave plots destroy the Abyss' measurements. Not close...and for a headphone that costs $4500 more?

Jul 19, 2013 at 10:25 AM Post #298 of 22,459
Quote:

Actually the LCD-2's square wave plots destroy the Abyss' measurements. Not close...and for a headphone that costs $4500 more?

Squarewaves wise, the Abyss looks almost exactly like Hifiman HE400 actually. Take a look.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/JPSLabsAbyssAB1266.pdf

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/HiFiMANHE400.pdf

Jul 19, 2013 at 10:28 AM Post #299 of 22,459
If we refuse to pay through our noses for every small improvement, manufacturers will get the message quickly or else they will be dead and replaced. Takes time but it always happens, look at GM, BlackBerry and Nokia for a great example and how they were replaced despite being number one.
No business is bigger than its customers, stop buying and watch prices go down, afterall prices are set on what customers will pay not altruism on the sellers behalf. If it's genuinely ground breaking, sure I'll pay more but a new revision with a 10% improvement and a 50% price hike is a big nope.
We spoilt the sellers in high end audio and still paying the price for it.

Jul 19, 2013 at 2:11 PM Post #300 of 22,459
Quote:
If we refuse to pay through our noses for every small improvement, manufacturers will get the message quickly or else they will be dead and replaced. Takes time but it always happens, look at GM, BlackBerry and Nokia for a great example and how they were replaced despite being number one.
No business is bigger than its customers, stop buying and watch prices go down, afterall prices are set on what customers will pay not altruism on the sellers behalf. If it's genuinely ground breaking, sure I'll pay more but a new revision with a 10% improvement and a 50% price hike is a big nope.
We spoilt the sellers in high end audio and still paying the price for it.

But, try as we might, there will still be a few people out there with $5500 willing and able to buy a behemoth like this, just as there are tons people who have $400 and buy a pair of Beats. This is PRICE we're talking about here. Because the way I see it, this "high-end" audio is a niche market, and we spend a lot on niche items catered to our tastes. If the SQ of a certain headphone isn't for you, I don't think it'll justify the price even if people say its THAT good.

The thing is, a consumer has a craving, in our case, a craving for the best sound (to us) that exists... And we can find that anywhere, from a headphone like the AB-1266 to the Koss Porta Pro (which I love). And if a consumer isn't satisfied he will want to have more and more choices, which is what is going on with the high-end audio market. They're following what we want, saying the things we want to hear (Clarity! Warmth? BASS? Treble! EXPENSIVE! Cheap?). Its all up to us.

All it comes down to is the Abyss is another flavor of a great line of headphones (Orthos). And I'd love to see more flavors come as the days go by. They may not be as priced as this, maybe cheaper, maybe worse, but it all comes down to what the audio market is going towards, which is "that sound" people want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back