The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Sep 15, 2022 at 4:42 PM Post #20,642 of 22,431
You want the Abyss TC, it's the ideal headphone to fit your description really. Look for a used one on the classifieds market, they go for around $4k.

Yeah, theres one for 3,8k that is the Phi model, not the newest TC, i was wondering how big the difference between the two drivers are.
Maybe i save up a bit more / trade my HD800S in which i do not love like i should...
Thanks for the reply!

Sep 15, 2022 at 7:16 PM Post #20,643 of 22,431
@ra990 - can you compare the Diana TC bass to the Phi?
I cannot, I haven't tried the Diana TC yet. I had the Diana Phi for a few months and enjoyed it less than the big brother for sure.

Sep 15, 2022 at 7:57 PM Post #20,644 of 22,431
Yeah, theres one for 3,8k that is the Phi model, not the newest TC, i was wondering how big the difference between the two drivers are.
Maybe i save up a bit more / trade my HD800S in which i do not love like i should...
Thanks for the reply!
They're quite similar. The TC drivers are a bit more resolving, but there's no difference in the bass response between Phi and TC from what I heard.

Sep 16, 2022 at 1:48 PM Post #20,645 of 22,431
@ra990 - can you compare the Diana TC bass to the Phi?

Diana TC has the strongest "attack" among all Dianas. DTC also produce bigger sub bass feel too when side by side with Diana Phi.

At the same time, DTC also the one with more transparent and analytic (less forgiving) in treble area. Definitely still smoother than 1266 TC though.

Sep 18, 2022 at 11:48 PM Post #20,647 of 22,431
Any music recommendations for AB1266 OG?
The OG is the king of dynamics and bombast, any music that fits that bill is exemplified. Shoot for the TC someday and you'll gain the detail and precision that Abyss built into the upgraded model, while keeping all of the earlier good stuff.

Sep 19, 2022 at 2:08 AM Post #20,648 of 22,431
No sleepy driver here, but I have metal fillings on my TC drivers, so they are quite bass light. Need to send them in for a cleaning. I didn't want that to happen, but I knew it would since I work at a metal factory. I was able to keep them alive for 8 months, but my job found a way to sneak some metal on me. :V

I'm wondering if there is a way to clear any hidden magnetic particles in your room, such as by scanning the area with a magnet?

Sep 19, 2022 at 6:43 AM Post #20,650 of 22,431
Sep 19, 2022 at 10:08 AM Post #20,651 of 22,431
I am debating between getting a used pair that doesn’t have any warranty left vs a new pair which will come with 3 year warranty (with online registration).

Given that there are incidences of driver failures/issues on these, how do people feel about buying used without warranty?

Sep 19, 2022 at 10:25 AM Post #20,652 of 22,431
I am debating between getting a used pair that doesn’t have any warranty left vs a new pair which will come with 3 year warranty (with online registration).

Given that there are incidences of driver failures/issues on these, how do people feel about buying used without warranty?
If you plan on keeping the headphones more than 2 years, it'd be wise to go the warranty route.

Sep 19, 2022 at 10:26 AM Post #20,653 of 22,431
I just bought the used 1266 Phi here from the classified market, so the second version, not the TC.
There's a 1266 TC listed for 4,9k from a user that has a shitton of excellent ratings, the pictures look awesome but it was a bit too much for me.

The question is: how much you wanna spent? Have you listened to an Abyss yet? I have not. Worst thing for me, i don't love it that much and can sell it without a loss here... I have not read that much about broken 1266 headphones, the very first version had some problems from which i read but it's not that common. I read about driver problems with the Utopias and general problems with Hifimans (less driver, more overall quality control issues, i had to fiddle with some stuff myself which thankfully was easy to take care of myself).

You also can't get a sneak peak of the abyss house sound besides shows, with Hifiman or other brands you can get an entry headphone and get an idea of what the higher models will sound like.

It should arrive in a few days, i am pumped hearing that thing. My main genre is rock.

Sep 19, 2022 at 10:55 AM Post #20,654 of 22,431
If you plan on keeping the headphones more than 2 years, it'd be wise to go the warranty route.
That makes sense, I was leaning towards that as well but wanted some confirmation I suppose. I generally spend a lot of time researching and trying before buying so usually end up keeping for the long haul unless something breaks so probably best to buy new.

The question is: how much you wanna spent? Have you listened to an Abyss yet?
I would love to not spend the full price :D but also don't want to end up potentially spending the repair cost one year down the line so it's hard to say. I did hear the 1266 at NYC CanJam earlier this year at various booths and loved it. I also listen to metal and rock about 60-70% of the time so very excited to get a pair of these! Hope you enjoy yours :D.

What amp are you planning to drive these with?

Sep 19, 2022 at 11:08 AM Post #20,655 of 22,431
I bought my two Ferrums (look signature) for the Susvara, there is no way i'll buy another pricey amp in the near future, so that's what i'll use. Most of the posts indicate that it pairs well with a 1266, but then occasionally an user "hates" it, but on the other hand i read that some people "hate" the Susvara with the Hypsos under 28 Volts (with the Oor, 24 is standard) and i can only sometimes hear a very very slight difference (i think i can hear it?) when i listen very very closely.
So people exaggerate as always like in every hobby, i try to not think about it too much...

I originally also planned to get the new "hyped" Gustard R23, but in the end i didn't want to wait another 2 months and i'm happy with mine now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back