The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Jan 19, 2022 at 8:33 PM Post #19,171 of 22,434
The greatest joy is the joy of anticipation, that's what's normally said. But with the 1266 the joy really starts when you have them on your head :beyersmile: Enjoy!
And after you've adjusted them properly :)

Jan 19, 2022 at 10:01 PM Post #19,172 of 22,434
yes, have patience it will take some time to get it right...dont get discouraged

Jan 20, 2022 at 2:00 PM Post #19,173 of 22,434
Never expected to own a hp in the hobby that looked or felt anything like the Abyss AB1266. The jeep video isn't so much of a surprise after feeling the build quality of this for the first time. This truly is built to last a long long time. The wooden box, the smell of the leather bag, the robust weight of this monster.. it all screams quality. Warming up the Burson Soloist GT for what'll hopefully be an experience. Can't wait to update with first impressions!

Attachments

• IMG_1342.JPG
    IMG_1342.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1363.JPG
    IMG_1363.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1372.JPG
    IMG_1372.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1338.JPG
    IMG_1338.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Jan 21, 2022 at 9:47 PM Post #19,174 of 22,434
Never expected to own a hp in the hobby that looked or felt anything like the Abyss AB1266. The jeep video isn't so much of a surprise after feeling the build quality of this for the first time. This truly is built to last a long long time. The wooden box, the smell of the leather bag, the robust weight of this monster.. it all screams quality. Warming up the Burson Soloist GT for what'll hopefully be an experience. Can't wait to update with first impressions!
First Impressions: I can truly say with confidence this is the epitome of planar bass response. The amount of detail present on the lower end is absurd, seriously. I've described the Audeze LCD-4 hitting like a sledgehammer... The 1266 is like firing a howitzer from inside a cavern. It's huge, aggressive, and impressive. Decided to throw on The Weeknd's Dawn FM to really get a taste of what these can do and, to my delight, was provided a masterclass of technical performance and sheer blunt force. With the Burson GT on high gain, these are almost borderline abuse. I love it and have begun the process of combing my music library to flesh out all there is to hear. Getting the perfect fit is going to take some time, but I guess that'll happen while the listening is happening.

Jan 22, 2022 at 8:46 PM Post #19,175 of 22,434
@paradoxper you mentioned a convolution filter EQ was coming for the TC in the Audeze LCD 5 thread. Can you provide any more details? Who is making it and where can I try it?

Jan 22, 2022 at 8:47 PM Post #19,176 of 22,434
@paradoxper you mentioned a convolution filter EQ was coming for the TC in the Audeze LCD 5 thread. Can you provide any more details? Who is making it and where can I try it?

I was actually going to PM him and ask the same thing lol

Jan 22, 2022 at 8:56 PM Post #19,177 of 22,434
Mitch will be making it. If he whom is responsible wishes to fill in the blanks, otherwise...

Jan 23, 2022 at 10:52 PM Post #19,178 of 22,434
First Impressions: I can truly say with confidence this is the epitome of planar bass response. The amount of detail present on the lower end is absurd, seriously. I've described the Audeze LCD-4 hitting like a sledgehammer... The 1266 is like firing a howitzer from inside a cavern. It's huge, aggressive, and impressive. Decided to throw on The Weeknd's Dawn FM to really get a taste of what these can do and, to my delight, was provided a masterclass of technical performance and sheer blunt force. With the Burson GT on high gain, these are almost borderline abuse. I love it and have begun the process of combing my music library to flesh out all there is to hear. Getting the perfect fit is going to take some time, but I guess that'll happen while the listening is happening.
These were my first impressions as well and the 1266s continue to amaze me to this day. I have a Burson stack running them also and they work very well together. I'm STILL combing through my music collection to listen to tracks in a "new light". Happy listening! Cheers!

Jan 24, 2022 at 1:44 AM Post #19,179 of 22,434
Sometime this week I'm gonna try to fit on some ZMF pads to see if the fit is any better or more comfortable. I'm never had much problems, but the adhesive on the pads is starting to come off when I muck around since the magnets are stronger--so figure I'll experiment a bit.

Jan 24, 2022 at 2:43 AM Post #19,180 of 22,434
Got these on Saturday. Little nooblet over here running the 1266 TC out of an A90 stack. :wink: The one thing I want to kinda of like, umm, "contest" right out of the gate is the argument concerning comfort and weight. I am 24 and often cut my hair completely bald or let it grow. I have absolutely 0 issues with the weight or comfort. I have 'em on now and I don't notice it at all.

And that brings me to my second finding which is the vocals. Vocals out of the a90 are pretty linear. I'm not getting this sucked out or thin quality (perhaps due to the a90 being the way it is) but I can tell I'm not getting the bass or soundstage I would like out of this amp, regardless of burn in. It's a very V2 experience atm lol. I only have 20 hours of use on my end. The vocalists sound even more full than they do on my vocal forward sennheiser cans. But again, pretty sure it's just easier to hear the singers when the bass is being underpowered/not broken in. But even like this it's still my favorite headphone. Super premium build too. They're right about pictures not doing it justice. You really have to see it for yourself.

Jan 24, 2022 at 5:20 AM Post #19,181 of 22,434
I found it really took having them connected to a quality speaker amp before I got the full 1266 TC experience. Now I am blown away - literally :wink: Bass, sub-bass, soundstage, all of it is ever so present, crisp/snappy and clear. Have fun on the journey.

Jan 24, 2022 at 5:46 AM Post #19,182 of 22,434
I found it really took having them connected to a quality speaker amp before I got the full 1266 TC experience. Now I am blown away - literally :wink: Bass, sub-bass, soundstage, all of it is ever so present, crisp/snappy and clear. Have fun on the journey.
what speaker amp did u use? are u using the speaker taps? congrats on your purchase. :)

Jan 24, 2022 at 5:48 AM Post #19,183 of 22,434
what speaker amp did u use? are u using the speaker taps? congrats on your purchase. :)
I am using a Chord Etude with my TT2/Mscaler combo. And yes I am using speaker taps.

Jan 25, 2022 at 4:30 PM Post #19,184 of 22,434
Out of 100, how far do you guys think the Cayin iHA6 can push the 1266 TC in terms of performance?

It drives my Diana Phi easily so I am cautiously optimistic. Just want to know what to expect when the beast arrives.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back