The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Jan 8, 2022 at 8:25 PM Post #19,141 of 22,460
I do, but they are located in Toronto, Canada. https://audiosensibility.com/blog/
Are you using any of their cables with the AB 1266s? I've purchased a number of cables from them over the years for my 2 channel set up but haven't tried their headphone cable. I believe they have similar specs to the Silver Dragon cable from Moon Audio. Not sure how that compares with alternatives from Lavricables, Danacables, or the the JPS Superconductor cable. Sharing any experiences you've had would be greatly appreciated.

Jan 8, 2022 at 8:34 PM Post #19,142 of 22,460
Are you using any of their cables with the AB 1266s? I've purchased a number of cables from them over the years for my 2 channel set up but haven't tried their headphone cable. I believe they have similar specs to the Silver Dragon cable from Moon Audio. Not sure how that compares with alternatives from Lavricables, Danacables, or the the JPS Superconductor cable. Sharing any experiences you've had would be greatly appreciated.
I am using their copper core cables currently and am looking to try their silvers in the near future. They produce solid headphone cables and I use them with all of my headphones currently. Don't have a reference against the cables you mentioned, but they sound good, are local (Canada) and reasonably priced (ticks a lot of boxes)

Jan 8, 2022 at 9:46 PM Post #19,143 of 22,460
Would anybody in this group know of a professional reworking cable connections?

In this case, I’d not like an adapter. I used to have this done by Triton Audio, but David is according to the website not offering this anymore. Thanks!
I was going to ask this exact same question for the exact same reason on another thread and ended up sending my headphone cables to Ted Allen (HeadphoneLounge) just yesterday.

Jan 9, 2022 at 4:13 PM Post #19,144 of 22,460
Guys - I am trying to troubleshoot bass distortion with my Abyss and it's driving me mad. Mostly because it's intermittent and minor and been going on about 3 weeks. Essentially I hear a "ch" on the attack of bass notes in the left driver.

I most easily was able to isolate it with this simple acoustic bass test. The problem is most of the time there is no distortion (90 -95%). 5-10% of the time when the distortion is occurring it's most easily picked up by this track, but it's pretty minor. So difficult to pick up while other music is playing but doable.

It happens like once a week, so it's very hard to figure out what the hell is going on. I've been in contact with Abyss and they told me to flip cables. Well, I have dual XLR Super Conductor cables and I did - and then I noticed the distortion move from the left driver to the right driver. Once. This was the one and only time I heard it in the right driver. So I sent the cable to Abyss to have a look about a week ago.

In the past week I've been listening to the stock cable, and no distortion ... until last night. I heard it again in the left driver and went back to my test track and confirmed. Then I swapped cables, but it stayed in the left driver. So turns out my SC cable must be fine.

This occurs with multiple amps and the Abyss but does not occur with other headphones. I initially thought it might be a hair or something stuck in the driver, so I gently blew on the driver and it went away. But then it came back a few days later. And then it goes away in a couple minutes. Seems to only occur when the headphones have been in use for a while.

When the distortion occurs, I try to decrease the air gap between the drivers and my head to no avail.

It has gotta be the drivers, right? Or at least the headphones and the internal connections to the drivers. Or the mini-xlr female connections? It's driving me absolutely batty.

Anyone experience anything like this before? Any help is appreciated.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2022 at 4:16 PM Post #19,145 of 22,460
Guys - I am trying to troubleshoot bass distortion with my Abyss and it's driving me mad. Mostly because it's intermittent and minor and been going on about 3 weeks. Essentially I hear a "ch" on the attack of bass notes in the left driver.

I most easily was able to isolate it with this simple acoustic bass test:

It happens like once a week, so it's very hard to figure out what the hell is going on. I've been in contact with Abyss and they told me to flip cables. Well, I have dual XLR Super Conductor cables and I did - and then I noticed the distortion move from the left driver to the right driver. This was the one and only time I heard it in the right driver. So I sent the cable to Abyss to have a look about a week ago.

In the past week I've been listening to the stock cable, and no distortion ... until last night. I heard it again in the left driver and went back to my test track and confirmed. Then I swapped cables, but it stayed in the left driver. So turns out my SC cable is fine.

This occurs with multiple amps and the Abyss but does not occur with other headphones. I initially thought it might be a hair or something stuck in the driver, so I gently blew on the driver and it went away. But then it came back a few days later. And then it goes away in a couple minutes.

It's gotta be the drivers, right? Or at least the headphones and the internal connections? It's driving me absolutely batty.

Anyone experience anything like this before? Any help is appreciated.

Ha. This is maddening. Have you tried purposefully stressing and clipping to instigate and isolate this "ch" and has it always only been on bass notes since it is so intermittent?

Jan 9, 2022 at 4:24 PM Post #19,146 of 22,460
Ha. This is maddening. Have you tried purposefully stressing and clipping to instigate and isolate this "ch" and has it always only been on bass notes since it is so intermittent?

Yes - but it also seems to not at all be correlated to level. When it occurs, it's there at high volume and low volume. When it's not there - you can't summon it by blasting it. I've tried :)

Always been on bass notes. Specifically mid-bassy stuff like you hear in the track. And always on the attack. Sub bass stuff never distorts - and I can blast that.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2022 at 4:32 PM Post #19,147 of 22,460
Yes - but it also seems to not at all be correlated to level. When it occurs, it's there at high volume and low volume. When it's not there - you can't summon it by blasting it. I've tried :)

Always been on bass notes. Specifically mid-bassy stuff like you hear in the track. And always on the attack. Sub bass stuff never distorts - and I can blast that.
Ah. No brute force. From decoupling seal, and high-low volume and switched cables, it sounds like a high probability, it is an internal connection. The chances of both drivers defecting is quite slim. The fact it's very intermittent clearly points to a fickle connection.

Abyss should have note of this potential character though and best guide you. I recall sending my 007 all the ****ing way back to Japan only for them to tell you, oh nothing wrong here thanks for the airfare and service tax. LOL

Jan 9, 2022 at 5:36 PM Post #19,148 of 22,460
Ah. No brute force. From decoupling seal, and high-low volume and switched cables, it sounds like a high probability, it is an internal connection. The chances of both drivers defecting is quite slim. The fact it's very intermittent clearly points to a fickle connection.

Abyss should have note of this potential character though and best guide you. I recall sending my 007 all the ****ing way back to Japan only for them to tell you, oh nothing wrong here thanks for the airfare and service tax. LOL

I came close to sending my 009 to Stax but figured out the issue was with my preamp. At least Joe and crew are just upstate from me.

Jan 16, 2022 at 1:02 PM Post #19,149 of 22,460
I've been listening solely to Susvaras for the last month. They are light, super comfy and bring magic to the midrange present in acoustic folk. This morning I put on the 1266 TCs. I was immediately captivated by the detail and dynamics of the 1266s. I really do love both of these headphones. Part of me thinks that changing components in the chain every so often is a good thing for enjoyment and appreciation of individual characteristics of gear...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back