The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Jan 26, 2022 at 6:49 PM Post #19,202 of 22,434
I have an impressions for later but I find I need a mildly good seal to get the deep bass I like out of the 1266. My glasses break this seal too much and it doesn't get deep. But when they're off...it can get very interesting.
As someone to wears glasses too, I always take them off before a critical listen. My eyes are closed 99% of the time, so wearing them makes minimal sense in my case.

Jan 26, 2022 at 7:26 PM Post #19,203 of 22,434
That’s actually the opposite of how it works. You get less bass with a seal.
In my experience, you get more bass with a looser seal, but not deeper (accurately extended). He is right that you need somewhat of a snug fit if you want to reach those lower bass ranges, albeit with less emphasis on the bass than with a looser fit. Abyss is kind of tricky with bass accuracy, it's a fun bass sound, but there's a noticeable lack of bass accuracy because of the variable fit that changes bass response so drastically.

Jan 26, 2022 at 7:44 PM Post #19,204 of 22,434
In my experience, you get more bass with a looser seal, but not deeper (accurately extended). He is right that you need somewhat of a snug fit if you want to reach those lower bass ranges, albeit with less emphasis on the bass than with a looser fit. Abyss is kind of tricky with bass accuracy, it's a fun bass sound, but there's a noticeable lack of bass accuracy because of the variable fit that changes bass response so drastically.
And then you have to factor in the ear pad position.

Jan 26, 2022 at 8:45 PM Post #19,205 of 22,434
It might just be my glasses and their thick side frame making the pads sit a little too far away. Somewhat of a snug fit with a tiny port at the bottom has been pretty ideal and addicting but can't achieve it with glasses. Makes going through my music challenging, and impossible to watch anime. I'll think of something though cuz this is a keeper for sure.

EDIT: I have found a work-around for glasses. Put them on loosely and the headphone will hold them instead. This minimizes the changes, if any, of how you want the headphone to sound.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2022 at 8:59 PM Post #19,206 of 22,434
My impressions so far (typed this out yesterday at work)
I finally discovered why the TC is the bass king. At first when I had my TC, I kept the pads at 12. Sounded okay, but it was very V2 like imo, overall underwhelmed I suppose--small stage too. I was really fussing over how to get the bass everyone talks about. A90 is still reallllllllly lean as an amp, but you can't tame the TC. Turns out it was producing that bass all along, it's just it was escaping out of the sides of the pads and not being directed toward my ear. Rotating the pads redirects this "bass bleed-out" back into my ear. From facing me, I take the pads 2 notches inward from 12. Haven't really experimented further, only day 3.

(It's Cirno's boss theme, you baka baka) This track starts off pretty groovy. Lots of mid bass and treble sparkle but around 7 seconds in, the song dips its toes into the sub bass to where the TC responds viciously. After changing the fitment and hearing the TC the way it was meant to be heard, that's when I knew. It's the track that made me discover the TC. But this isn't just bass. It sounds as if there is a resonant noise coming from either the driver itself or the baffle. It colors, no, adds to the bass the same way a room does. It happens at any volume, low or high, so there must be some type of resonant frequency. Given the slots on the baffle, I would assume that helps tune the amount.

It does impact in the bass but I feel like I'm being impacted with sounds you usually don't feel, like midrange and treble. I'm feeling the instant buzzes and vibrations of midrange tones and treble sizzles. Bass and treble can be altered quite a lot by the fit. Now all sounds are vibrations but it's very interesting to actually feel them for once, aside from feeling your own voice. I listened to this track for about an hour. I just kept laughing and couldn't forget how it sounded when it went low. Every time that resonance kicks in for the sub bass, it's just deep and nasty. Regular headphones don't do this, but the TC wasn't made to be another regular. I know it's nothing new for you guys but to me it's just...w0w.

Jan 28, 2022 at 1:35 PM Post #19,207 of 22,434
ABYSS Headphones We engineer, machine, and build our headphones from scratch in New York, USA. Stay updated on ABYSS Headphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AbyssHeadphones https://twitter.com/AbyssHeadphones https://www.instagram.com/abyssheadphones/ https://abyss-headphones.com/ info@Abyss-Headphones.com
Jan 28, 2022 at 1:44 PM Post #19,208 of 22,434
Jan 28, 2022 at 4:31 PM Post #19,209 of 22,434
The 1266 TC is back with me for a few days, the sleepy driver problem is solved. Yes this is a metal headphone! Like a live concert with punch to the max. Yes this is the mids hole what the heck if it makes fun without end! The LCD-5 is technically worlds better. But today I have such fun with the TC because the technology moves into the background. What good is Harman and Co. if it does not make click see Stealth which has zero punch and is so boring.

Jan 28, 2022 at 5:12 PM Post #19,210 of 22,434
The 1266 TC is back with me for a few days, the sleepy driver problem is solved. Yes this is a metal headphone! Like a live concert with punch to the max. Yes this is the mids hole what the heck if it makes fun without end! The LCD-5 is technically worlds better. But today I have such fun with the TC because the technology moves into the background. What good is Harman and Co. if it does not make click see Stealth which has zero punch and is so boring.
A slightly recessed mid range works well for metal imho. Which is partly why I'm hesitant on the LCD 5. But I'd probably EQ it anyway.

Jan 28, 2022 at 6:58 PM Post #19,211 of 22,434
Taralabs The Omega Live
47lab 4706
Perfect match with 1266
D4A67F83-759E-43D7-9EE9-5C076155D74E.jpeg
AC013569-AF6A-42F4-B6CD-15100B35F2D3.jpeg

Jan 28, 2022 at 8:24 PM Post #19,212 of 22,434
Do you find the LCD-5 really much better than the 1266 TC? What exactly do you prefer on them?

Jan 28, 2022 at 11:59 PM Post #19,214 of 22,434
If anyone has a 1266 box that they don't need anymore, please pm me!

My TC is supposed to arrive in a few days. I discovered today that the Cayin C9 can drive my Diana Phi really well, perhaps giving even better sound than the iHA6.

Has anyone tried the C9 with the TC?

Jan 29, 2022 at 8:09 AM Post #19,215 of 22,434
Masterworks from the XX century - an Abyss Trip

The perfect headphones do not exist (and who needs one, as we change our mind and mood everyday, and even our tastes from time to time?), but very few can do what the 1266 TC do as a multi-genre transducer.

I thought I would share some random notes from a beautiful morning of musical bliss ...

mahler-1.png

Mahler and the 1266 is an easy pairing: big sound, drama, huge dynamics swings.

Kubelik's is my favorite version of the 1st. Although it is not an audiophile recording by modern standards, this DG production through the TC shows surprisingly good instrument separation, clarity, depth of field, visceral impact. Timbre of instruments is on the cooler side, but still quite enjoyable (try the 3rd movement with the ominous cello funeral march to vulgar jewish brass-laden song turn).

Fischer-Dieskau voice in the beautiful wayfarer songs is warm not recessed at all (thank you AIC-10 / Mullard / Superconductor), on the contrary, it has great presence and naturalness.

evans.png

Scott LaFaro double bass is the star here with the 1266 TC: deep, articulated, with great oomph but clean. Separation and soundstage layering, transparency are top notch.

Background details are easily presented, but not in an aggressive, overly distracting way (although I had to turn my head several times looking for somebody entering my listening room LOL). Audience claps between the songs are startling, with naturalness (physicality, ambiental cues).

Wonderful piano timbre, warm but lucid, combined with correct size and location within the ensemble spatial deployment.

DSOTM.png

The deep atmospheric bass pulses on Speak to Me already set the stage for this musical wonder, and the endorphine flow kicks in immediately.

Immersive 3D, enveloping atmosphere with all the genius, innovative, production devices from this legendary band rendered at best.

Huge dynamics swings, and top to bottom extension (see Time, Money) are visceral, utterly exciting.

Plenty of control on the most complex musical passages, a great balance between pure aural and analytical listening pleasure :L3000:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back