The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Nov 23, 2021 at 12:19 AM Post #18,693 of 22,511
Hey all. Been a while since I posted here.. because for the longest time, I've always preferred listening with the Utopia and Susvara.

Yea the abyss does bass really well, but I always felt that the mids could be better and the highs were occasionally too sharp, plus vocals felt a bit empty and echoey or hollow sounding. Also, I had a major issue with imaging on the abyss; seemed like there was a tonne of information being delivered but not in a coherent way, and I could not really pinpoint where sound/elements of the music were coming from as easily as I could with the utopia/susvara.

Thankfully, that has all changed now, since adding a musical paradise mp-701 mk2 tube preamplifier to the chain. I don't know what is going on, but I am getting the best layering, imaging, depth, soundstage and even more bass than I've ever had with the Abyss. Vocals actually sound correct now (lol)..

On my lineup of headphones, it has pretty much shot the Abyss 1266 TC Phi to the top of the list. I'm a bit busy nowadays, so I will write a bit more on it when I have the time, but for now, I have to say its a game changer for me and the Abyss.

20211121_135128.jpg
I love the sound of this MP. I had this for a while. It’s so friggin gigantic though, and to make space I replaced it with the Cayin tube preamp instead. Both are great.

Nov 23, 2021 at 3:03 AM Post #18,694 of 22,511
I'm gonna buy a TC this december. I have to save up for that so my budget is pretty low as is. The most I would stretch for an amp would be 2k, and even that would take awhile. What can really get the TC performing 90% there for under 2 grand?

If you say Topping, I will smite thee.

Nov 23, 2021 at 8:45 AM Post #18,695 of 22,511
I'm gonna buy a TC this december. I have to save up for that so my budget is pretty low as is. The most I would stretch for an amp would be 2k, and even that would take awhile. What can really get the TC performing 90% there for under 2 grand?

No chance. Please don’t get the topping. At that price, I would personally get a used speaker amp. Barring that, an iCAN or a GSX Mini.

Nov 23, 2021 at 8:50 AM Post #18,697 of 22,511
Is the gsx mini gonna be able to let the TC get nasty low in the bass?
Not just that my friend, id put GSX MK2 on anything. Mini assume the same. But you best like true timber, fast response, super black floor

Nov 23, 2021 at 8:54 AM Post #18,698 of 22,511

I tried that route. I got a chord TToby because it was cheaper than formula s + powerman. Ttoby is really fatiguing to me. The formula s was a significant improvement for me.

Maybe ask @Dukei about a price to build a CFA3

Nov 23, 2021 at 8:56 AM Post #18,699 of 22,511
Cool. Can't wait to join the cool kids' club next month. Yes I'm on a budget, but I care most about the TC's bass not being severely crippled by the amp If the GSX does that then it's all good. The A90 absolutely robbed my Diana V2 of sub bass unfortunately.

Idk what's hot in the speaker amp world nor do I know anything about the cables you'd nees to use with 'em, though I do hear speaker amps are better for these.

Nov 23, 2021 at 8:59 AM Post #18,700 of 22,511
Ferrum OOR? It's 2k without the Hypsos power supply. Which can be added later.

Nov 23, 2021 at 9:02 AM Post #18,701 of 22,511
I did not like the AMP-13R much. If I wanted to soften the sound, I'll pursue a tube amp that will give greater spatial characteristics to boot.
What I appreciated about the 13R was the compact nature, the fantastic design inside and out and the overall smooth response.

The CFA3 is simply the best headamp I've heard, from resolution to bass control -- it represents the best I've heard solid state not of yesteryear but of the future.
It's highly detailed and dynamic and never cold or distant. It fits my listening preference perfectly.

Thanks for this. I haven't had the Enleum very long, but my initial impressions line up with what you are saying. I think tone wise, it reminds me of tubes - warm/smooth and liquid, but incredibly transparent and quick. (which is why I like it). I think I read that the creator of the Satri circuit was a huge fan of tubes. That said, I don't get the spatial characteristics with it I do with tubes - so get your point. It's not that the headstage is bad, it's just not quite as large as some other headamps. The imaging, however, IMO is pinpoint (at least with the Enleum). With the Abyss the headstage is smaller than the Formula S, bigger than the HPA4 and V281 - definitely smaller than the Wa33 (these are just amps I've tried). I have the Wa33 which has a gigantic sound stage, so that part wasn't as much as a concern for me. It's a priority but not a top one. Keep in mind these impression are only after one long night.

I am definitely going to keep the Enleum, because it's been a struggle to find a solid state amp that I enjoy with the Abyss and Susvara - and that doesn't give me a headache / listening fatigue, and I enjoyed it for hours last night. I have to say I am intrigued by the CFA3 as I don't think I've seen anyone who doesn't like it. I'd love to hear what the Abyss sounds like with an amp that has vice like grip on the drivers, without going to a straight speaker amp. Something that gives me a decidedly different flavor than the Enleum/Wa33 but I enjoy. After listening to the Enleum, if you are doing solid state, I think current mode amps are the way to go with hard to drive planars. And, after all, our tastes aren't that different - we both gravitate to the Abyss.

I'll continue discussion around the CFA3/Abyss in the CFA thread as to not derail further. That said - if anyone if using Dave/MScaler with CFA3 - would love your opinions via PM. Even with the M-Scaler, I find that Dave can veer toward analytic - which is why I think the Wa33 and Enleum match so well. Does it match well with the CFA3 in your opinion?

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2021 at 9:07 AM Post #18,702 of 22,511
Cool. Can't wait to join the cool kids' club next month. Yes I'm on a budget, but I care most about the TC's bass not being severely crippled by the amp If the GSX does that then it's all good. The A90 absolutely robbed my Diana V2 of sub bass unfortunately.

Idk what's hot in the speaker amp world nor do I know anything about the cables you'd nees to use with 'em, though I do hear speaker amps are better for these.
I would say yesterday was the first day i started to hear the headphones disappear. After some proper burn-in.

Just the cleanest, smoothest most amazing music I've ever heard.

My journey went from "oh crap, I think I prefer my Arya's" to "ok these sound good, amazing at times depending on the music"

Then I got the formula s + powerman and day one was "omg these sound amazing!"

Then a few more days of burn in on the amp and headphones and it went to "there are no more headphones, just music."

FOr example the abyss headphone test track (on YouTube. Download the flac). Before on the test when he's walking around in a circle with the box tapping on it constantly I didn't have a good sense of depth. Just width. Yesterday the depth appeared and it was amazing. Tool chocolate chip trip blew my mind.

Nov 23, 2021 at 9:16 AM Post #18,703 of 22,511
Not just that my friend, id put GSX MK2 on anything. Mini assume the same. But you best like true timber, fast response, super black floor
Agreed, love my GS-X MK2

Nov 23, 2021 at 12:28 PM Post #18,704 of 22,511
Thanks for this. I haven't had the Enleum very long, but my initial impressions line up with what you are saying. I think tone wise, it reminds me of tubes - warm/smooth and liquid, but incredibly transparent and quick. (which is why I like it). I think I read that the creator of the Satri circuit was a huge fan of tubes. That said, I don't get the spatial characteristics with it I do with tubes - so get your point. It's not that the headstage is bad, it's just not quite as large as some other headamps. The imaging, however, IMO is pinpoint (at least with the Enleum). With the Abyss the headstage is smaller than the Formula S, bigger than the HPA4 and V281 - definitely smaller than the Wa33 (these are just amps I've tried). I have the Wa33 which has a gigantic sound stage, so that part wasn't as much as a concern for me. It's a priority but not a top one. Keep in mind these impression are only after one long night.

I am definitely going to keep the Enleum, because it's been a struggle to find a solid state amp that I enjoy with the Abyss and Susvara - and that doesn't give me a headache / listening fatigue, and I enjoyed it for hours last night. I have to say I am intrigued by the CFA3 as I don't think I've seen anyone who doesn't like it. I'd love to hear what the Abyss sounds like with an amp that has vice like grip on the drivers, without going to a straight speaker amp. Something that gives me a decidedly different flavor than the Enleum/Wa33 but I enjoy. After listening to the Enleum, if you are doing solid state, I think current mode amps are the way to go with hard to drive planars. And, after all, our tastes aren't that different - we both gravitate to the Abyss.

I'll continue discussion around the CFA3/Abyss in the CFA thread as to not derail further. That said - if anyone if using Dave/MScaler with CFA3 - would love your opinions via PM. Even with the M-Scaler, I find that Dave can veer toward analytic - which is why I think the Wa33 and Enleum match so well. Does it match well with the CFA3 in your opinion?
It's just important to understand context -- a commercial CFA3 would run at least $6k, and the fact the Niimbus gets its ass kicked so hardcore leaves a bad taste in the mouth. It's sort of the same thing in the realm of stats, where your favorite amp producer couldn't put on offer a competent electrostatic amp, let alone one that was safe.
I owned the Eddie Current Elektra for fair bias. I've pit the CFA3 against a few speaker amps, against your favorite FOTM Head-Fi hyperbole, and continue to be impressed.

I'm sure once the CFA3 SMD goes streamline, it will factor in an even larger audience. Miroslav, you best find a faster iron, I'm burying you in future orders. LOL

I couldn't tell you heads/tails for context of DAVE. I don't find DAVE stellar, or referential. It's been too long since I last heard and compared DAVE but I do avoid chains that include DAVE or TT2. My advice would be at the least bottom end try a May Dac and work up to the warm R2R > Rockna > MSB, etc. They illuminate major DAVE deficiency.

Nov 23, 2021 at 12:37 PM Post #18,705 of 22,511
My advice would be at the least bottom end try a May Dac and work up to the warm R2R > Rockna > MSB, etc. They illuminate major DAVE deficiency.
Do you think the May DAC isn't good? Just trying to follow the "bottom end" context.

I'm cross shopping May, Morpheus/Pasithea, and Wavelight and would love to hear what you think of the May. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back