The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Oct 3, 2021 at 11:06 AM Post #17,926 of 22,406
What do folks think of the audeze lcd-5 in comparison to the tc - a serious contender for the throne :)?
Considerably doubtful. Qualifiers of the trend with planars chasing stat characteristic, nothing touches the TC bass presentation amongst it's wide sound-field and ultimate resolution matching the best stats, you'd likely be asking what does the LCD-5 contend with that the Susvara does not provide.

Oct 3, 2021 at 11:31 AM Post #17,927 of 22,406
Sennheiser He 1 or Hifiman shangri-la ?

Too much of a price gap to consider in the same category really.. that said, trying to crown a single headphone as 'best' is just silly lol. The only place you'll find consensus is in each of the main threads like this where each owner claims theirs is best and better than others. That's about it lol. I also don't even really get the point in trying to do so.

Oct 3, 2021 at 12:29 PM Post #17,928 of 22,406
About to purchase the 1266 Phi TC from Abyss but I'm a bit confused by the options on their site (https://abyss-headphones.com/collec...s-ab-1266-phi-headphone?variant=7865778176043).

What's the difference between the "Default" connector and the "4 pin balanced XLR"? The description for the Lite (which I assume is for Default):
Balanced 8 FT (2.5 meter) 4 pin XLR cable, with flexible 1/4" (6.3 mm) adaptor. All cables are high performance custom made by JPS Labs for Abyss.

Does the "4 pin balanced XLR" simply not include the 1/4in adapter?

Oct 3, 2021 at 12:34 PM Post #17,929 of 22,406
I believe that the cable with the 4pin XLR comes with the adapter to single ended. It comes this way with the least expensive option. The most expensive option comes with the upgraded superior $3000 cable.

Oct 3, 2021 at 12:36 PM Post #17,930 of 22,406
Oct 3, 2021 at 2:13 PM Post #17,931 of 22,406
Oct 3, 2021 at 2:37 PM Post #17,932 of 22,406
Hello, I own a SC cable terminated in 4pin xlr, and it’s 8ft, 2.4m. I actually don’t need a cable that long, 6ft would be fine. So if anyone is interested to exchange, let me know…

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2021 at 11:58 AM Post #17,934 of 22,406
I Just want to say that I am quite literally blown away by these headphones.

I was not expecting such a huge jump in performance. Six years ago I bought the HEK and at the time they were labelled the best HP in the world……ok it was reviewer hype but they were raved about.

I read a lot on this forum, I don’t contribute a lot as there are far more knowledgable members than me so I leave them to it. I read a lot about once you have a high end HP the differences are subtle.

This difference is not subtle, it’s a huge step up to me. Maybe it’s the advancement of tech in 6 years but its not subtle to me.

It does get you thinking about ….better amps…….better DACs but do you know what right now this Burson 3X Reference sounds amazing to me. Maybe it suits the TCs….I don’t know. I am leaning towards keeping it . Or upgrading the Burson way with the new Soloist GT and then a new DAC would be required.

I am a one to two hours per week HP listener. In the last two weeks it has been 6 to 8 hours per day. I know its new toy syndrome but I can honestly say I have never had that like I have it now.

They are making me listen to all sorts of music I would never have listened to.

I will follow this thread with a great deal of interest.

Oct 4, 2021 at 1:08 PM Post #17,935 of 22,406
I Just want to say that I am quite literally blown away by these headphones.

I was not expecting such a huge jump in performance. Six years ago I bought the HEK and at the time they were labelled the best HP in the world……ok it was reviewer hype but they were raved about.

I read a lot on this forum, I don’t contribute a lot as there are far more knowledgable members than me so I leave them to it. I read a lot about once you have a high end HP the differences are subtle.

This difference is not subtle, it’s a huge step up to me. Maybe it’s the advancement of tech in 6 years but its not subtle to me.

It does get you thinking about ….better amps…….better DACs but do you know what right now this Burson 3X Reference sounds amazing to me. Maybe it suits the TCs….I don’t know. I am leaning towards keeping it . Or upgrading the Burson way with the new Soloist GT and then a new DAC would be required.

I am a one to two hours per week HP listener. In the last two weeks it has been 6 to 8 hours per day. I know its new toy syndrome but I can honestly say I have never had that like I have it now.

They are making me listen to all sorts of music I would never have listened to.

I will follow this thread with a great deal of interest.
A lot of new Top Headphones are coming out these past few days. But reading the various comments of those who are buying them, we see that the reference point is always Abyss TC and little else :wink:

Oct 6, 2021 at 2:22 AM Post #17,936 of 22,406
I am going to throw a bomb here (more for fun but not seeking a heated debate - hopefully not 😅):
i) $2.8k for Abyss 1266 phi (non CC / TC)
ii) $3.8k for Susvara (3.5mm version)

Priced in USD.. Both are equally tempting, I know ultimately it is down to personal preference and also available equipment to drive each of them.. Would like to seek some opinion before pulling the trigger :)

Oct 6, 2021 at 2:25 AM Post #17,937 of 22,406
I am going to throw a bomb here (more for fun but not seeking a heated debate - hopefully not 😅):

Priced in USD.. Both are equally tempting, I know ultimately it is down to personal preference and also available equipment to drive each of them.. Would like to seek some opinion before pulling the trigger :)
What amp will you drive them with? The susvara are pretty difficult to drive compared to the 1266

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2021 at 2:26 AM Post #17,938 of 22,406

iii) spend a little more and get a TC :)

Oct 6, 2021 at 2:28 AM Post #17,939 of 22,406
What amp will you drive them with? The susvara are pretty difficult to drive compared to the 1266TC

My current amp is probably good enough for 1266 (seen user pairing them with pleasing result), but will not know how well it will pair with Susvara until I try it out - it is a Glenn el3n amp.

Oct 6, 2021 at 2:29 AM Post #17,940 of 22,406
iii) spend a little more and get a TC :)

Nice one.. There is one offer $4.5k for a brand new TC which I think is equally tempting..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back