The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Sep 30, 2021 at 7:29 AM Post #17,897 of 22,434
Lately I've noticed the right driver is having issues. At moderately loud volumes there's audible distortion at certain frequencies like piano notes. As if something inside is vibrating and is loose. Sounds like 'tssk tssk'. Anyone had this issue before? 2 abyss headphones and both have had issues 😥

I think you can check the seal of the headphones. For example checking if you have a leak from your earpads. Or adjust the frame, angle and headband. As we know the TC driver will have a slightly different response with different level of seal.

See if adjusting the seal will help.

Sep 30, 2021 at 8:13 AM Post #17,898 of 22,434
That looks so close to the real thing. If I came across it, I would think it was just an OG Abyss 1266.

Abyss, you know what they say...imitation is the highest form of flattery!

Sep 30, 2021 at 8:58 AM Post #17,899 of 22,434
We’re aware of it. Apparently some guy in China enjoys making knock off headphones of various manufactures. If he was smart he would use all that energy to make his own in his image with his own brand name; maybe one day:).

ABYSS Headphones We engineer, machine, and build our headphones from scratch in New York, USA. Stay updated on ABYSS Headphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AbyssHeadphones https://twitter.com/AbyssHeadphones https://www.instagram.com/abyssheadphones/ https://abyss-headphones.com/ info@Abyss-Headphones.com
Sep 30, 2021 at 10:07 AM Post #17,902 of 22,434
I may have described it wrong, although they made fakes. But they didn't sell them cheaply, but pretended to be third-party distributors in various places and sold them as genuine products. The user only found out that something was wrong after the purchase. They usually sell fakes for $3,200. One thing is very important, they will pretend to be the old version of 1266 instead of the new version of tc.

Sep 30, 2021 at 10:52 AM Post #17,903 of 22,434

Abyss1266 fakes have appeared in China. Please pay attention​

This is a photo of a fake. The word LCD 2016 is written on the unit diaphragm.

There are some abnormalities in the appearance of the headset.

1. The cork pad is very thick, 1mm thick. For the other 1266 I disassembled, this layer is only about 0.2mm.

2. The logo part is very rough and feels very burry, but early manufacturers used laser marking.

3. The whole machine is brushed aluminum spray painted, and the official is sand blasting + spray painting.

4. The cover plate is laser cut, and the fineness is not enough. The laser starting point is obvious. The process on other 1266 is very fine. It should be wire cut or laser, but the path is made.

At present, it has circulated in China's second-hand market, and the price is abnormally low. Many people have been deceived. I don't know when it will flow overseas
Finally we could get spare parts (headband) for good price :)

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2021 at 5:00 PM Post #17,904 of 22,434
Was worried when I checked the logo on my 1266 OG in depth :scream::

1633035189622.png

But all good :pray: Sounds also fantastic :beyersmile:

1633035211285.png

Unbelievably, looking under the pads, tiny bit of fuzz? Used a dust blower , cleaned it up a bit.
While they were disassembled it was a great opportunity to clean them and check out this great tip :sweat_smile: Works pretty well if you know what you are doing!

Sep 30, 2021 at 7:51 PM Post #17,905 of 22,434
incredibly as a long time abyss 1266 owner and lover...from OG to all the different versions and of course TC today I was shocked that a little change in pad position has amazingly improved the sound even more....I had basically been using the same pad position all along and just for kicks I tried different settings and settled on a different one that is more comfortable and to my surprise and delight with a bit more of an opening in the back of the ear cups things have really changed for the better....more open sounding,bass even more incredible and all in simply marvelous...that is the really great thing about this HP the amount of changes one can create....

Sep 30, 2021 at 9:30 PM Post #17,907 of 22,434
incredibly as a long time abyss 1266 owner and lover...from OG to all the different versions and of course TC today I was shocked that a little change in pad position has amazingly improved the sound even more....I had basically been using the same pad position all along and just for kicks I tried different settings and settled on a different one that is more comfortable and to my surprise and delight with a bit more of an opening in the back of the ear cups things have really changed for the better....more open sounding,bass even more incredible and all in simply marvelous...that is the really great thing about this HP the amount of changes one can create....
What change was this @jlbrach?

Sep 30, 2021 at 10:02 PM Post #17,908 of 22,434
position of the ear pads....

Oct 1, 2021 at 3:53 PM Post #17,910 of 22,434
1633117827530.png

I just came back from a local meet where the main attraction was WA33 + Dave and I must admit that I still have a jaw on the ground! My 1266 TC has never played like this before. Interestingly, I preferred the 1266 TC on my cable (Lazuli Ultra) than the SC, the SC clearly reduced the sound of the 1266 and added some treble.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back