The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Oct 6, 2021 at 2:32 AM Post #17,941 of 22,434
Nice one.. There is one offer $4.5k for a brand new TC which I think is equally tempting..
That would be my choice for sure. If you buy an older version it's only a matter of time before you upgrade and lose some money in the process. That's a pretty good price too, I wish I bought mine for that...

Oct 6, 2021 at 2:44 AM Post #17,942 of 22,434
Nice one.. There is one offer $4.5k for a brand new TC which I think is equally tempting..

The TC further reduces the gap with the Susvara in terms of midrange naturalness compared to the Phi. With your delicious tube amp (and even more with the help of the Superconductor cable you may want to consider in the future) you would be in a very happy position to enjoy the mighty bass, the transparency and uniquely theatrical staging of the AB-1266 without worrying too much about that very slight residual hint of recession / thinness in the midrange.

Personally, although I liked very much the Susvara (see here) and still think they are the only real contender to the AB-1266 as all-rounder headphones, ultimately I sold them with no regrets ever since.

Oct 6, 2021 at 3:12 AM Post #17,943 of 22,434
The TC further reduces the gap with the Susvara in terms of midrange naturalness compared to the Phi. With your delicious tube amp (and even more with the help of the Superconductor cable you may want to consider in the future) you would be in a very happy position to enjoy the mighty bass, the transparency and uniquely theatrical staging of the AB-1266 without worrying too much about that very slight residual hint of recession / thinness in the midrange.

Personally, although I liked very much the Susvara (see here) and still think they are the only real contender to the AB-1266 as all-rounder headphones, ultimately I sold them with no regrets ever since.

I am glad I come across your review comparing both TOTL cans. I have also read numerous review but the way you described both of them are really helpful.

Bringing it down to a lower tier, I was struggling between ZMF VC and also RAD-0 (well, their difference are not as dractic compared to 1266 & Susvara). Vocal for me is what I weighted a lot, so in the end I picked RAD-0 over the VC.

I am sure TC's strength over-shadow the slight imperfection on the recessed mids. While I am reading your write-up, I have a strong feeling that Susvara will fit my bill. Well again I will only be able to listen to the 1266 phi and Susvara side-by-side. I will see how it goes.

Thanks again for chipping in! Ultimately owning both TC and Susvara will be like having the best of both world, they should compliment each others perfectly! I shall report back the 1266 phi vs Susvara if it is any helpful for anyone looking at a used 1266 phi after hearing both.

Oct 6, 2021 at 3:47 AM Post #17,944 of 22,434
I am glad I come across your review comparing both TOTL cans. I have also read numerous review but the way you described both of them are really helpful.

Bringing it down to a lower tier, I was struggling between ZMF VC and also RAD-0 (well, their difference are not as dractic compared to 1266 & Susvara). Vocal for me is what I weighted a lot, so in the end I picked RAD-0 over the VC.

I am sure TC's strength over-shadow the slight imperfection on the recessed mids. While I am reading your write-up, I have a strong feeling that Susvara will fit my bill. Well again I will only be able to listen to the 1266 phi and Susvara side-by-side. I will see how it goes.

Thanks again for chipping in! Ultimately owning both TC and Susvara will be like having the best of both world, they should compliment each others perfectly! I shall report back the 1266 phi vs Susvara if it is any helpful for anyone looking at a used 1266 phi after hearing both.
If vocals are your things, then yes, the Susvara may be the way to go.

Oct 6, 2021 at 5:36 AM Post #17,945 of 22,434
I am going to throw a bomb here (more for fun but not seeking a heated debate - hopefully not 😅):
i) $2.8k for Abyss 1266 phi (non CC / TC)
ii) $3.8k for Susvara (3.5mm version)

Priced in USD.. Both are equally tempting, I know ultimately it is down to personal preference and also available equipment to drive each of them.. Would like to seek some opinion before pulling the trigger :)
I would probably get the Susvara instead of the non-TC for now. There’s a big chance you’ll end up owning both in the future anyway 😅

Or wait for a TC deal but future-proof yourself and get an amp that can also drive the Susvara for that eventuality.

Oct 6, 2021 at 11:56 AM Post #17,946 of 22,434
I am going to throw a bomb here (more for fun but not seeking a heated debate - hopefully not 😅):

Priced in USD.. Both are equally tempting, I know ultimately it is down to personal preference and also available equipment to drive each of them.. Would like to seek some opinion before pulling the trigger :)
At least to me there is a pretty huge difference in comfort between the two. I love the 1266 but one hour of listening is probably the limit for me. Susvara is all day.
But I know many people here are used to the weight and fit of the 1266.

Oct 6, 2021 at 12:02 PM Post #17,947 of 22,434
At least to me there is a pretty huge difference in comfort between the two. I love the 1266 but one hour of listening is probably the limit for me. Susvara is all day.
I am not sure the weight is an issue. I had some issues when I first got the TC as I found it difficult to get the right fit, I was forever playing about with it and found it uncomfortable on top of my head. However I took some advice on here and a few adjustments and it has solved the problem. They are a heavy headphone I guess but they really do not feel it once you have it in the right position. It does take some getting used to as I have not worn a HP like this , but I think when positioned correctly they are more than comfortable.
I have replied as it was one of my big fears when deciding between the TC and the Susvara.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2021 at 12:11 PM Post #17,948 of 22,434
I feel the same. After getting the fit right and wearing them more and more and getting used to the weight they are very comfortable to me now and the weight doesn't bother me anymore.

Oct 6, 2021 at 12:23 PM Post #17,949 of 22,434
That's the inverse argument of Susvara all-day comfort to Empyrean, true all-day comfort.

Some will find TC a burden. I can wear mine at least up to 4-5 hours.

Oct 6, 2021 at 12:56 PM Post #17,950 of 22,434
I don't mind the 1266 weight. Once you find a fit that works for you, it just sits on your head fine. Also, I sometimes listen diagonally as I lounge in a beanbag and then forget the weight altogether.

Oct 6, 2021 at 7:38 PM Post #17,953 of 22,434
It took me a very long time to get used to it, but by now I think the TC is the most comfy headphone with glasses.
This is also my experience and I compared against HD800s.

Oct 6, 2021 at 7:45 PM Post #17,954 of 22,434

if you can get TC for 2.8k, definitely go for them !

Oct 6, 2021 at 7:59 PM Post #17,955 of 22,434
if you are debating the OG abyss vs susvara get the susvara...easy....if it is the TC different discussion

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back