The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Mar 21, 2021 at 4:32 PM Post #14,581 of 22,424
if you are dealing with enormous differences then yes an a-b will be valid....but most differences are more subtle and nuanced and reveal themselves over time with different sources etc....I find myself many times listening to albums with one of my HP's and have wow moments where I hear things I never heard or hear very different presentations but had I not come across these passages I would not have recognized the differences

Mar 21, 2021 at 5:12 PM Post #14,582 of 22,424
if you are dealing with enormous differences then yes an a-b will be valid....but most differences are more subtle and nuanced and reveal themselves over time with different sources etc....I find myself many times listening to albums with one of my HP's and have wow moments where I hear things I never heard or hear very different presentations but had I not come across these passages I would not have recognized the differences
The A/B discussion reminded me of a podcast that I recently listed to about the loss and return of smell as a result of COVID. The pod was pretty interesting and is located here . In the pod, scientists talked about how when doing tests with different individuals on the same chemical compound, some people can't smell it, some people perceive the smell as sweet and minty and some people perceive the smell as being an acrid chemical.

This got me thinking a bit about how the same external input, smell and taste, can be perceived differently by people's brains. The same seems true with sound. Our headphones, DACs and amps reproduce the same music, however, the nuances of how that reproduction is perceived by our brains is a bit different for each of us. Food for thought on a Sunday...

Mar 21, 2021 at 5:29 PM Post #14,583 of 22,424
I agree with you 100%.....in fact everyones hearing is different...some hear better than others...some cannot hear certain high frequencies...some are younger and some older and that certainly influences...the truth is when nuance and small details are being debated all these things need to be taken into consideration

Mar 21, 2021 at 5:48 PM Post #14,584 of 22,424
I agree with you 100%.....in fact everyones hearing is different...some hear better than others...some cannot hear certain high frequencies...some are younger and some older and that certainly influences...the truth is when nuance and small details are being debated all these things need to be taken into consideration
The thing that got my brain really spinning was moving beyond the mechanical issues of sound and how much they do/don't move the tympanic membrane, but focusing on how the brain interprets the sound. Said differently, just because we can't measure differences in sound, it doesn't mean that our brains don't interpret things differently. Good times.

Mar 21, 2021 at 6:59 PM Post #14,585 of 22,424
That's just not true. It has ample power and sounds good. I wouldn't have any other amp and it was sold to me by the same dealer as the abyss (Simcoe Audio in Barrie Ontario. I actually bought two of the Bryston BHA1s from them. A rock solid amplifier with 6 class A amps in it). They recommend them highly together. Bryston is my end game and I love their gear. And don't get me wrong, I like my tcs and I'm quite happy with them.

The Bryston amp is on the brighter side of things with a good emphasis on treble...likely why you love the Empy's so much with them and why it's not "ideal" with the Phi TC. Also, the BHA1 is underpowered for the Phi TC and the Empy's are much easier to drive properly. Just my 2 cents. :)

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2021 at 8:09 PM Post #14,586 of 22,424
The Bryston amp is on the brighter side of things with a good emphasis on treble...likely why you love the Empy's so much with them and why it's not "ideal" with the Phi TC. Also, the BHA1 is underpowered for the Phi TC and the Empy's are much easier to drive properly. Just my 2 cents. :)
I spoke to the head designer at bryston and he said the bha1 has plenty of power for the tcs. That's not the issue, just my preference in headphone sound signatures. I enjoy the tcs, but they're just not my favorite.

This is from Mike Pickett at Bryston to me:
"The combination of low impedance and low sensitivity will make the Abyss 'phones difficult to drive, but should have enough power to do so without stress. You may need to switch the unit to high gain mode to avoid having to turn it all the way up. The BHA1 still has power to spare at 3:00 on the dial, but that is definitely working it pretty hard."

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2021 at 8:16 PM Post #14,587 of 22,424
I spoke to the head designer at bryston and he said the bha1 has plenty of power for the tcs. That's not the issue, just my preference in headphone sound signatures. I enjoy the tcs, but they're just not my favorite.
We all are a different kind of crazy but you are a special kind of crazy.

Mar 21, 2021 at 8:20 PM Post #14,589 of 22,424
We all are a different kind of crazy but you are a special kind of crazy.
I'm the kind of crazy that never believes anyone when they say they didn't like the Abyss. I always think that they just didn't take the time to fit it on their head properly. A properly fitted Abyss 1266 is something undeniably unique and an awesome sonic experience.

Mar 21, 2021 at 8:24 PM Post #14,591 of 22,424
I'm the kind of crazy that never believes anyone when they say they didn't like the Abyss. I always think that they just didn't take the time to fit it on their head properly. A properly fitted Abyss 1266 is something undeniably unique and an awesome sonic experience.
Some people also hate bacon. :smile:

Mar 21, 2021 at 8:27 PM Post #14,592 of 22,424
I 100% agree. It's either a bad fit or an amp that is too weak. That's the only way I feel somebody could dislike the TCs :beyersmile:

Mar 21, 2021 at 8:28 PM Post #14,593 of 22,424
Hey I didn't say that. I dig the abyss .
No, you didn't and I'm just generalizing - but I'm talking more about those that have said things like "I tried it at a show and don't get why people like it so much..."

Yea, not surprising, it takes a good 10 minutes just to fit it on the head properly.

For me, unless I wear this ridiculous looking beanie hat, I don't get the ideal fit. This is my Abyss hat, stays with the headphone and it's the only way I get perfect channel balance, even bass, the right amount of space between the pads and my face, and the headphones don't move around too much on it, so I can actually get into the music and move my head around without them falling off.

20210321_202232.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back