The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Sep 29, 2020 at 7:59 AM Post #12,166 of 22,424
I don’t think he meant to vote against the GSX mini, it just you get what you paid for. It’s a good amp for the budget, even the Abyss guys said so themselves on their YouTube channel. And, I agree that HPA4 is underwhelming for the TC since I can barely hear the difference between HPA4 and my TT2’s onboard amp.

Personally, I had the Mini and HPA4 but sold them both after acquired Formula S combo. I think this combo is a really good budget option, especially if you consider the second hand market. After all, it was made to specifically drive the TC. If you want to up your amp game from here, then you will probably have to spend $10K+ on amp and TOTL tubes to achieve any meaningful gain.

Thanks this is super helpful. yeah I’m never going to invest 10kin a tube amp so the perspective is helpful.

On the formula S, does it make a big difference to have the powerman power supply, or does it sound the same without it? I would be feeding this amp, either alone or through the powerman, to an Audioquest tornado power cord that goes into an Audioquest niagara power conditioner. Also not sure if you have other cans in the lineup, but have you found the formula S to work well with them?

Sep 29, 2020 at 8:03 AM Post #12,167 of 22,424
I enjoyed the Formual S plus Powerman for a couple of years, they work very well with the AB1266 TC. The Powerman improves the sound (better bass definition, etc.), but not essential. Another amp in this price range I have listened to quite a bit on a wide variety of headphones is the Audiovalve Solaris. It is excellent with the TC, also with the ZMF VC. It is musical and very versatile, and can even be used with electrostatics. If I had to choose between the two today, I would probably go for the Solaris as I find I prefer the warmth/musicality of tubes.

thanks I really like the look of the Solaris. I saw one was listed for 3k about a month ago, I would have been inclined to grab that. I would probably be willing to stretch for that unit.

Sep 29, 2020 at 8:08 AM Post #12,168 of 22,424
I don’t think he meant to vote against the GSX mini, it just you get what you paid for. It’s a good amp for the budget, even the Abyss guys said so themselves on their YouTube channel. And, I agree that HPA4 is underwhelming for the TC since I can barely hear the difference between HPA4 and my TT2’s onboard amp.

Personally, I had the Mini and HPA4 but sold them both after acquired Formula S combo. I think this combo is a really good budget option, especially if you consider the second hand market. After all, it was made to specifically drive the TC. If you want to up your amp game from here, then you will probably have to spend $10K+ on amp and TOTL tubes to achieve any meaningful gain.
I agree the HPA4 is underwhelming for the TC, it even struggles at times. Not a good match. The Formula S works well, especially with the Powerman which adds more punch. A tube option in the same price range is the Audiovalve Solaris - it drives the TC well, and is a bit more musical than the Formula S.

Sep 29, 2020 at 10:34 AM Post #12,169 of 22,424
I agree the HPA4 is underwhelming for the TC, it even struggles at times. Not a good match. The Formula S works well, especially with the Powerman which adds more punch. A tube option in the same price range is the Audiovalve Solaris - it drives the TC well, and is a bit more musical than the Formula S.

I prefer the HPA4 to pretty much all SS amps. I like the WA33 with the TC quite a bit, but find that tubes take away from the overall level of transparency and clarity and muddy things up a bit. Orthos prefer higher current amplifiers and tube amps tend to lag behind. Again, the WA33 is a stellar amp, but my preferences to the higher level of clarity of the HPA4 have been consistent for over a year.

Sep 29, 2020 at 11:18 AM Post #12,170 of 22,424
Looking for some impressions on the synergy of Viva Egoista 845 with TC.

Maybe some comparison with WA33.

Plz share. Thnx.

Sep 29, 2020 at 11:21 AM Post #12,171 of 22,424
Hi all,

Apologies for the long post below, but hoping to get some advice on an amp upgrade geared toward the 1266 TC but still versatile enough to run my other headphones. As a bit of background, I've been in this hobby for a couple years, and have slowly and steadily climbed the chain while training my ears. I have a TC on the way from Joe and can't wait, but it also means I am looking to upgrade my amp (ideally with a budget around 2k, but I'm willing to go up some for something special).

Currently I have a Utopia, HD800, and a whole gaggle of ZMFs for which I'm a huge fan (Verite Open, Auteur, Eikon, Atticus). I've built my current system around the ZMFs primarily which I prefer with tubes, my amp is a mjolnir 2 with good tubes (nos, telefunken). The amp is the cheapest part of my chain, hence my desire to upgrade. I know the TC are very hard to drive. The rest of my chain is better but not extremely TOTL: I have a pure audio labs lotus 5 DAC that is fed via curious usb to an aurender n100h music server. I have no plans to change the server which I love, I might at some point upgrade the DAC but I'm pretty happy with it (seems to punch way above its price). But unless someone tells me otherwise, I'm assuming the mjolnir 2 won't cut it with the TC. I should also mention that I use xlr throughout and I have power cords and conditioners that are probably too good for my core components (audioquest tornado for amp and dac that feed into a niagara); but hopefully those will achieve greater gains with a better amp. I also use a lot of upgraded headphone cables like norne, danacable, etc.

As you can probably assume from the above, I tend to prefer a more musical setup. That said, my priority here is to get an amp that synergizes best with the TC, and as a second goal I'd like to get something that also sounds good with my ZMFs (and the utopia, although I'm guessing I'll cull the herd after the TC arrives, since I'm hoping it's the end of the journey for a while; and the utopia and VO may go on the chopping block). So if it's more clinical but awesome with the TC I'm open to considering. Also open to different kinds of amps (solid state, tube, etc.).

The two easy picks from limited research seem to be the Formula S and the GS-X mini. Curious if folks have thoughts about either of these, can someone elaborate on their sound signatures (musical vs. clinical) and how they've found they are with the TC and other headphones like those I've mentioned? For the Formula S, is the powerman PSU needed? I'm not limiting myself to just these two though, do folks here have recommendations in my price range? I have plenty of time to pick this up but appreciate any insights.

Thanks in advance!
Going with Mogwai is good to go with as the 1266 is really good with tubes. The all a rounder is the mini which I use to own before stepping up to the Woo WA33. Mini has a warm tone to it.

Sep 29, 2020 at 11:27 AM Post #12,173 of 22,424
New addition to the family...

20200929_114059.jpg
20200929_111749.jpg

No time to play yet... But based on reviews... I fully expect to be wowed.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2020 at 12:46 PM Post #12,176 of 22,424
How do you connect the smyth realizer to your setup?
For now... I'm using the built-in DAC, connecting the Realiser directly to my speaker amp via RCA jacks.

Screenshot_20200929-124528_Chrome.jpgThe A16 has a ton of outputs... Most will bypass it's internal DAC.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2020 at 12:48 PM Post #12,177 of 22,424
If WA33 is a stretch then consider the Cayin HA300. Personally I think that's the best tube option under 4K.

Personally I would recommend SS amps for orthos (especially power hungry orthos) as they can typically deliver higher current...which works better for them.

Sep 29, 2020 at 3:50 PM Post #12,179 of 22,424
Again I personally feel the WA33 is one of the finest amps for the TC. Seems the guys at Abyss agree.(YouTube video) But the WA5le was also very nice as well. That is under $4k. The HeadAmp GSXmk2 at $3k is another good SS option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back