The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Aug 6, 2020 at 10:14 PM Post #11,731 of 22,446
Well, I guess I’m buying the new headband now that it has more padding :L3000:

Aug 7, 2020 at 1:01 PM Post #11,734 of 22,446
So I've run into an anomaly I haven't experienced with other cans. My second listen this morning since I got them I found them sibilant and the sss would break center imaging and move out to the left and right channel. I thought this very disappointing and then went out for groceries. When I got home I decided to try again with adjusting them more. So it seems when they sit high on my ears this phenomenon takes place, but as I pulled them down (I didnt want to stress the O rings after seeing the broken photos) the image stabilized and the sss was no longer sibilant. I'm sure someone in the history of this thread has experienced this? I just can't bring myself to read all the pages. Are the tcs super dependent on pad/driver positioning?
Thanks.

Aug 7, 2020 at 1:15 PM Post #11,736 of 22,446
So I've run into an anomaly I haven't experienced with other cans. My second listen this morning since I got them I found them sibilant and the sss would break center imaging and move out to the left and right channel. I thought this very disappointing and then went out for groceries. When I got home I decided to try again with adjusting them more. So it seems when they sit high on my ears this phenomenon takes place, but as I pulled them down (I didnt want to stress the O rings after seeing the broken photos) the image stabilized and the sss was no longer sibilant. I'm sure someone in the history of this thread has experienced this? I just can't bring myself to read all the pages. Are the tcs super dependent on pad/driver positioning?
Thanks.
Have a look at this video from Abyss ...it will help you out. It takes a while to find the optimum position in terms of pad rotation, width of frame and angle of frame

Aug 7, 2020 at 2:16 PM Post #11,741 of 22,446
From the video It looks like the pads make big contact to the head not really loose. Is having it too loose giving me unequal bass response. If I tighten it against my head it's good but I loose some power in the low end.

Aug 7, 2020 at 2:34 PM Post #11,742 of 22,446
From the video It looks like the pads make big contact to the head not really loose. Is having it too loose giving me unequal bass response. If I tighten it against my head it's good but I loose some power in the low end.
I'm going to have to mess around with them to find the proper imaging, high and low response.

Aug 7, 2020 at 2:44 PM Post #11,743 of 22,446
sometime I get really upset about bass currently I'm sitting differently and the bass is equal. I get upset that my all time favorite headphone can be so finicky. This headphone is more then the Susvara as it's really powerful in the low end where the Susvara is not yeah more detail on the Hifiman but the pure intensity of a 1266 is unmatched, closes I get to two channel setup and yes I owned the Susvara so I have good experince with them.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2020 at 2:54 PM Post #11,744 of 22,446
Are the tcs super dependent on pad/driver positioning?

In a word, yes. Because they more rest on your head than clamp to your ears and stay there, they can be a little finicky. The pad seam is typically in the 1 to 3 oclock position (only looking at the L pad, the R would obviously be the same). Also play with toeing in the frame around the center pin.

If I tighten it against my head it's good but I loose some power in the low end.

Yes. The gap underneath between pad and ear acts as a port. Depending on pad rotation or how loose or tight it is against your head, this will affect bass response. The less port (and/or the tighter on your head) typically bass lessens to a degree. You'll just have to play around with fit. Took me a few months to find ideal, and even now I might tweak things depending on mood.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back