The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Aug 7, 2020 at 6:37 PM Post #11,761 of 22,434
You can even switch the pads around as this will put the pad upside down. I just see the pads are not completely symmetrical. A lot of uneven surface.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2020 at 7:43 PM Post #11,762 of 22,434
I am in total agreement with you regarding sibilance which I become more sensitive to as I age...the position of the 1266 definitely affects it...the raal sr1a is even more pronounced in terms of position....depending on how it sits on your head it can either be incredibly sibilant or much less so... some recordings are so poorly mastered and harsh and can almost be painful to listen to...
I agree and I had no idea the tcs are so sensitive when it comes to this.

Aug 8, 2020 at 7:51 AM Post #11,764 of 22,434
I own Abyss diana phi and the v2. Recently I sold the abyss Diana phi and wanted to try Abyss 1266. I wondered if the Abyss 1266 Og can still hold up with the Abyss 1266 Phi and Diana Phi. I have listened yo the 1266 phi but never really had a chnce to listen to the 1266 og.

Aug 8, 2020 at 11:27 AM Post #11,765 of 22,434
Ok. I think after a week or so, I have my TC setup to my preferred settings. Pads set at 2 (L) and 11 (R) o’clock with no toeing of the frame and smallest width with the geekria replacement pad for HD280 under the abyss pad. The pad may not work for everyone as it lifts the cups up, and for me, the pads now just barely fit under my ears in a comfortable position. I do prefer the superconductor cables to the original and moon audio silver dragon cables, but they all sound nice, just a different sound. I don’t usually notice or pay attention to cables. Dac is rme adi-2 dac and amp is Ifi can pro in tube mode and highest gain. No more fiddling with the TC frame and pads....for now.

Aug 8, 2020 at 5:19 PM Post #11,768 of 22,434
Ok. I think after a week or so, I have my TC setup to my preferred settings. Pads set at 2 (L) and 11 (R) o’clock with no toeing of the frame and smallest width with the geekria replacement pad for HD280 under the abyss pad. The pad may not work for everyone as it lifts the cups up, and for me, the pads now just barely fit under my ears in a comfortable position. I do prefer the superconductor cables to the original and moon audio silver dragon cables, but they all sound nice, just a different sound. I don’t usually notice or pay attention to cables. Dac is rme adi-2 dac and amp is Ifi can pro in tube mode and highest gain. No more fiddling with the TC frame and pads....for now.

I was demoing the 1266 phi with my RME Adi-2 and Phonitor X on high gain (both DIP switches on) and really liked that combo. On high gain I couldn't really get past 9 o'clock on the dial volume wise. I imagine throwing some tube flavor could be really fun as well!

Aug 9, 2020 at 11:12 AM Post #11,769 of 22,434
I own Abyss diana phi and the v2. Recently I sold the abyss Diana phi and wanted to try Abyss 1266. I wondered if the Abyss 1266 Og can still hold up with the Abyss 1266 Phi and Diana Phi. I have listened yo the 1266 phi but never really had a chnce to listen to the 1266 og.

Please give yourself a favor and go straight to 1266 TC if possible.

A week ago I had chance to re-listen 1266 OG and comparing it to Diana Phi and 1266 Phi TC. Dare I say, 1266 OG and TC may look similar in housing design, however they are different beast. The TC is much more smoother across all spectrum, with "sharper" imaging, better micro detail, and more control.

Aug 11, 2020 at 3:05 AM Post #11,771 of 22,434
For anyone that are looking to buy GS-X mini to pair with 1266 its great deal, it's power enough to drive them very loud.
Anybody compared the GS-X mini with the original GS-X Mk2 using the 1266 TC's ?

Aug 11, 2020 at 3:08 AM Post #11,772 of 22,434
Anybody compared the GS-X mini with the original GS-X Mk2 using the 1266 TC's ?
I might pick up a mini to fulfill requirements. My plan was to compare as much as I can get my hands on to my CFA3 and less consequently SuSy Dynahi. And potentially a custom ECP TC-driven amplifier as well.
And maybe an adapted uberamp from KG. And...

Well, it never ends.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back