The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Aug 7, 2020 at 3:33 PM Post #11,746 of 22,434
In a word, yes. Because they more rest on your head than clamp to your ears and stay there, they can be a little finicky. The pad seam is typically in the 1 to 3 oclock position (only looking at the L pad, the R would obviously be the same). Also play with toeing in the frame around the center pin.

Yes. The gap underneath between pad and ear acts as a port. Depending on pad rotation or how loose or tight it is against your head, this will affect bass response. The less port (and/or the tighter on your head) typically bass lessens to a degree. You'll just have to play around with fit. Took me a few months to find ideal, and even now I might tweak things depending on mood.
Thanks. I've had them clamped with a tight seal so I will loosen them. The sss issue goes away with positioning as well, along with imaging issues, so I will have to play with them more.

Aug 7, 2020 at 5:12 PM Post #11,750 of 22,434
Im currently demoing a 1266 phi with cc pads and the best fit for me seems to be at 8pm, creates a small opening between my jaw and my ear. Man what a difference rotating the pads makes, I tried something like 6 or 7pm and it gets crazy bloomy (pretty large opening under my ears). 9 or 10 o'clock create too much of a seal for me, drastically reducing the bass.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2020 at 5:24 PM Post #11,753 of 22,434
I have changed my preference several times. Currently going with just touching on ear pads. Almost no pressure and small gap between ear and jaw bone. Seems to be best compromise of detail and bass power. Of course preference might change next week.

Aug 7, 2020 at 5:26 PM Post #11,754 of 22,434
I have owned my TC’s for over a year. So the quest continues. Not really a problem, just shows how they can be tuned to suit one’s taste.

Aug 7, 2020 at 5:32 PM Post #11,756 of 22,434
yea I don't look at it as an issue, I like the tuneability with a few rotations. Its interesting because I listen to so many different genres, maybe I'll have an "time" setting for each genre lol

Aug 7, 2020 at 5:43 PM Post #11,758 of 22,434
You may need to bend the arms out a little. There is a YouTube video that shows how. I believe the Abyss website has a link for it.

Aug 7, 2020 at 6:29 PM Post #11,760 of 22,434
All I want is no sss sibilance and a dead centre voice. I'll adjust until that happens.
I am in total agreement with you regarding sibilance which I become more sensitive to as I age...the position of the 1266 definitely affects it...the raal sr1a is even more pronounced in terms of position....depending on how it sits on your head it can either be incredibly sibilant or much less so... some recordings are so poorly mastered and harsh and can almost be painful to listen to...

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back